Are Cruise Models Available on MSC Ships?

lovelights

I collect the cruise models of every ship with vacation on, and was wondering if anyone knows if this cruise line sells the ship models, like you find on the other cruise lines?

We've only been able to locate smaller ones on Princess, but Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival, seem to have the same brand. They're made of solid resin, and are about 10 - 11 inches long.

I'm in hopes that the MSC Divina has them in one of their gift shops onboard, but was just wondering if anyone has seen them?

I collect the cruise models of every ship with vacation on, and was wondering if anyone knows if this cruise line sells the ship models, like you find on the other cruise lines?

We've only been able to locate smaller ones on Princess, but Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival, seem to have the same brand. They're made of solid resin, and are about 10 - 11 inches long.

I'm in hopes that the MSC Divina has them in one of their gift shops onboard, but was just wondering if anyone has seen them?

Yes they do and they are really quite nice. here's a picture of the one I was given as we disembarked from a cruise.

The wooden base is 10 inches long

48ff1127-e099-4e31-a16a-cdb0d7b17ce2.jpg

Pete

You can buy them in the Logo Shop on board. They generally cost around €20 to €30 depending on size, i.e. the smaller ships have smaller models. The Divina will be large.

Wow, that would be approx. $31 - $46 in U.S. currency. The cruise models that we've purchased on the other cruise lines, usually cost $25.00 ea. Thanks for the info though. I appreciate it. :)

Wow, that would be approx. $31 - $46 in U.S. currency. The cruise models that we've purchased on the other cruise lines, usually cost $25.00 ea. Thanks for the info though. I appreciate it. :)

The models are certainly classier than the plastic models other lines produce.

like the image below of a carnival model for sale on ebay today at $50

Capture7.jpg

20€ is approximately 23USD

30€ is approximately 34USD

So not too far off what you have been paying all along.

The models are certainly classier than the plastic models other lines produce.

like the image below of a carnival model for sale on ebay today at $50

Capture7.jpg

That's made of resin, not plastic. I've got about a dozen of them from the cruise ships we've been on. Our last cruise (Carnival Paradise), which resulted in the last Carnival cruise that we will ever go on, I bought 3 of them that were on sale for $15.00 each. I kept one, and sold the other 2 on ebay at separate times, and got over $100.00 for each one.

That's made of resin, not plastic. I've got about a dozen of them from the cruise ships we've been on. Our last cruise (Carnival Paradise), which resulted in the last Carnival cruise that we will ever go on, I bought 3 of them that were on sale for $15.00 each. I kept one, and sold the other 2 on ebay at separate times, and got over $100.00 for each one.

As a professional organic chemist I can tell you that resins are a form of polymer (thermoset) or plastic by another name

basiclly you get metal, wood, stone or plastic (resin) models.

Bakelite was one of the first plastics(resins ) to be made . i bet you call bakelit a resin

Bakelite (/ˈbeɪkəlaɪt/ BAY-kə-lyt, sometimes spelled Baekelite), or polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride, is an early plastic. It is a thermosetting phenol formaldehyde resin, formed from a condensation reaction of phenol with formaldehyde. It was developed by Belgian-born chemist Leo Baekeland in New York in 1907.

‎Celluloid - ‎Category:Bakelite - ‎Leo Baekeland

Quote from plasticindustries,org

Definitions of Resins

PLASTICS have developed an amazing presence in our lives. From the most commonplace tasks to our most unusual needs, plastics increasingly have provided the performance in products that consumers want. In fact, if you woke up tomorrow and there were no plastics, you would be in for quite a shock. Life would be much more expensive and much less comfortable. And many of the conveniences you had come to take for granted would be gone. Mostly, though, you would be surprised at the many products that had vanished—things you had never thought of as being plastic. That’s because, in just a few decades, consumers have come to consider the extraordinary properties of plastics as nothing out of the ordinary. Plastics’ popularity and wide usage can be attributed to one basic fact: Because of their range of properties and design technologies, plastics offer consumer benefits unsurpassed by other materials. Let’s take a look at the different types of plastics, usually referred to as “resins,” and see how they are made and used:

Plastics generally are organic high polymers (i.e., they consist of large chainlike molecules containing carbon) that are formed in a plastic state either during or after their transition from a small-molecule chemical to a solid material. Stated very simply, the large chainlike molecules are formed by hooking together short-chain molecules of chemicals (monomers: mono = one, mer = unit) in a reaction known as polymerization (poly = many). When units of a single monomer are hooked together, the resulting plastic is a homopolymer, such as polyethylene, which is made from the ethylene monomer. When more than one monomer is included in the process, for example, ethylene and propylene, the resulting plastic is a copolymer

Thermosets and Thermoplastics

The two basic groups of plastic materials are the thermoplastics and the thermosets. Thermoplastic resins consist of long molecules, each of which may have side chains or groups that are not attached to other molecules (i.e., are not crosslinked). Thus, they can be repeatedly melted and solidified by heating and cooling so that any scrap generated in processing can be reused. No chemical change generally takes place during forming. Usually, thermoplastic polymers are supplied in the form of pellets, which often contain additives to enhance processing or to provide necessary characteristics in the finished product (e.g., color, conductivity, etc.). The termperature service range of thermoplastics is limited by their loss of physical strength and eventual melting at elevated temperatures.

Thermoset plastics, on the other hand, react during processing to form crosslinked structures that cannot be remelted and reprocessed. Thermoset scrap must be either discarded or used as a low-cost filler in other products. In some cases, it may be pyrolyzed to recover inorganic fillers such as glass reinforcements, which can be reused. Thermosets may be supplied in liquid form or as a partially polymerized solid molding powder. In their uncured condition, they can be formed to the finished product shape with or without pressure and polymerized by using chemicals or heat.

The distinction between thermoplastics and thermosets is not always clearly drawn. For example, thermoplastic polyethylene can be extruded as a coating for wire and subsequently crosslinked (either chemically or by irradiation) to form a thermoset material that no longer will melt when heated. Some plastic materials even have members in both families; there are, for instance, both thermoset and thermoplastic polyester resins.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

I have the twin of Pete's one (the Musica) also a gift. The ship part is metal and it is quite heavy. Fortunately I was flying home with BA on that occasion and they don't care what your hand luggage weighs.

Having said that it is pretty similar in quality and design to the 2 free Costa ones I have too.