Must have gear for Alaska cruise

work2travel

[quote name='work2travel']What gear /supplies did you take or wish you had taken on your Alaska cruise?[/QUOTE]

My wife & I both took
a lightweight hooded rain jacket
sweatshirt
binoculars
backpack to carry it all in

We had several occasions when we wanted to layer up and later on remove layers

We took a small pair with us, but they did not work very well. We ended up buying a large pair on the ship. Just make sure they have a good zoom feature. You'll really be glad you have them.

[quote name='joyyak']What do you consider a "good" pair of binoculars? There are 5 of us going and I want to get something lightweight, but not too expensive. I'd love to get about 3 pair.[/QUOTE]

Wild birds unlimited has some nice ones for reasonable prices - probably an 8 x 40 for wildlife viewing. Stay away really low end ones, get the best you can afford.

Bug spray is another good add-on item, especially for the summer when bugs get [B]really[/B] fierce.

Plan to dress in layers, make sure you have good walking shoes and a good, preferrably hooded raincoat.

[quote name='StephenJohnson']

Bug spray is another good add-on item, especially for the summer when bugs get [b]really[/b] fierce.

[/QUOTE]
[color=darkorchid]thats so weird. you're the second person i've heard mention bug spray to alaska. i've been to alaska twice, both times in mid july, and i've never seen or had problems with bugs of any sort. i've also never heard of anyone complain about bugs or needing bug spray while i was on the ship or on land. [/color]
[color=#9932cc][/color]
[color=#9932cc]hm... are you talking like mosquitos and stuff? :confused: [/color]

Lots of mosquitos in some of the rain forests. In fact if you take the Taku lodge excursion in Juneau when you get off the floatplane and walk up to the lodge they have complimentary bottles of bug spray you can use.
Jan

With regards to mosquitos-if you have at least a few weeks before departure there is a natural means of preventing mosquito bites. Buy a bottle of vitamin B complex and begin taking it as a daily supplement-mosquitos, no-see-ums, etc. will not come near you.

I am fair skinned/strawberry blond and seem to be the mosquito's favorite treat (I think it must be due to the coloring-my son has the same problem whereas hubby and daughter who are similar in coloring have no major issue)-I began using B complex because my bites would swell to the size of of your palm at the suggestion of an MD-it is amazing! I no longer have to cover up outdoors in the evening.

For those who want to take mosquito repellant-Off Brand now sells a small towelette style that can be easier to apply esp. around the neck and ears.

Archived