Mt. Titlis

avewal4

We did the tour in 2013. We booked the trip in advance. The day of the trip the weather was lousy and I thought we had thrown our money away. It was misting on the ground. We had a nice tour in Engleberg at the bottom of the mountain. You take 4 cable car rides to get to get top. We could see the ground on the 1st cable car. 2nd and 3rd we could see nothing but clouds -- what a waste of money right?. During the 4th cable trip we broke through the clouds and I must say it was the most spectacular sight of my life. Most of the Swiss alps were sticking above the cloud cover. The sun was so bright. My daughter, who didn't bring sunglasses, was blinded by the light. We had to actually unzip our jackets because it was so warm and sunny. I'm so glad we did the trip. My wife after and hour got a little bit dizzy from the lack of oxygen. It is 10000 feet above sea level. I say go for it.

We waited until we were in Lucerne, Mt Titlis was covered in fog, we went to MT Rigi instead, we took a short ferry ride, the cog wheel up and and tram down, it was not that expensive and it was great day. If you do the excursion, the Viking rep laid it all out for us.

I'm not so sure that the weather on the ground has much to do with what is on top of the mountain. On a previous trip up Mt Pilatus, it was a clear day and we could see for miles and had a clear view of the ground. That's what I based my trip to Mt Titlus on, it was a lousy day and we couldn't see the mountain top from the ground. When we got to the top, we couldn't see the ground but the view was the most fantastic scenery I had ever witnessed. I wish I could attach a photo here but I don't see how to do it.

We also did the Mt Rigi excursion and it was one of our favorite days of the trip. We had lunch at the restaurant at the summit while enjoying the breathtaking views of the Alps and Lake Lucerne below. The town of Weggis, where you get off the tram, is very picturesque. Be sure and stop for a drink at the lovely waterfront cafe next to the ferry pier. We were able to purchase our tickets for the entire excursion from the concierge at our hotel, the Palace Luzern.

We went to Mt. Titlis today. When we got to the top, it was so cloudy, we hardly saw anything. Although terribly disappointed my wife and I agreed that the scenery-chalets, forests, waterfalls, meadows, farms, churches, cows, goats, a cheesemaker, the ride to the top of the mountain were so beautiful. We saw a part of Switzerland that we would not have seen if we had not made the trip. We're still glad we went.