Hotel night before boarding cruise in Hamburg, Germany

Hi!

I'm going on an MSC cruise out of Hamburg, Germany. I am looking to stay night before we depart cruise at a hotel. Is the port near the city center? I've never been there before so I would like to explore Hamburg. Is there hotel anyone would recommend? I see a Marriott, Hyatt, Radisson and Hilton but can't determine how far they are. I don't want to be far out of the city but yet close to the port. Is far is city center from the port? How much do cabs cost? I need to take a cab from the airport and one to cruise terminal. I called MSC and they don't know the names of hotel that they put people in when they book them. Anyone have any suggestions? No one I know is familiar with this city. Any suggestions on what I should see? I only have that one day.

I looked and not many hotels have airport transfers. We will have enough luggage with us so we decided not to take a train. Taxi would be best.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by suzanne73

Thank you. I posted on Anni's thread but it seems like she is on holiday till September with little internet access. Also she said in other replies that she has only done day trips to Hamburg and is not familiar with hotels.

Thank you anyway. Maybe someone else will answer.