Stavanger

We recently stopped in Stavanger, Norway on the HAL Zuiderdam. We wanted to take the boat ride up the Lysefjord to Pulpit Rock using Rodne (rodne.no). On the ship, the excursion cost $129 US. I booked it online and we paid $72 Canadian.

The boat for the fjord cruise docks in the same area as the ship did. It is about a 5 minute walk away. You walk towards the town and the fjord cruise boat is just on the opposite side of the harbour. With your pre-purchased ticket receipt, you can just board the boat. The tour started at 10 AM and we were there about 9:20 or so. You can buy tickets at the location but run the risk of them being sold out.

The tour itself is fabulous with amazing scenery. It was one of the best excursions we ever did, and this was our 14th cruise. It took about 3 hours.

After the cruise, we decided to eat in town. We ate at a very nice burger restaurant (not fast food) called Dognvill. It was on the next street parallel to where we caught the fjord cruise boat.

Stavanger was a lovely city and we spent the rest of the afternnon shopping and looking around the harbour area.

Thanks for the report! We will be doing this excursion in July. We also booked independently online.

Our ship leaves at 6pm and we must be onboard at 5:30 ( at absolute latest).

The excursion ends at 5pm and according to Rodne they are never late and the ship is 5 minutes away.

Did your excursion arrive on time? Every smooth and easy?

Thanks!

Thank you for your review. We will be in port form 10 till 6 later this month. As I did not feel comfortable with the tour returning at 5, I booked a similar fjord cruise with Norled which leaves at 12:15 and is supposed to be 2.5 hours in duration.

Let's hope it will be as nice a trip as yours with Rødne.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Did the fjord cruise with Norled yesterday. It was a beautiful tour similar to what has been described about the Rodne tour. The vessel was brand new. However it is actually a people ferry boat. So it's layout isn't optimal for sightseeing. Top deck outside is specious, but has no seating. The ship is fast, so it gets windy during the ride. Take a jacket or even a hat if you plan to stay outside. Inside there are comfortable seats in a sort of airplane setup (3-6-3). Not all have a good view outside.

The ship docks right next to Rodne. They have is sign and small ticket booth at the waterfront.

Recap: great ride if weather allows for staying on deck, and you don't mind standing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We recently stopped in Stavanger, Norway on the HAL Zuiderdam. We wanted to take the boat ride up the Lysefjord to Pulpit Rock using Rodne (rodne.no). On the ship, the excursion cost $129 US. I booked it online and we paid $72 Canadian.

The boat for the fjord cruise docks in the same area as the ship did. It is about a 5 minute walk away. You walk towards the town and the fjord cruise boat is just on the opposite side of the harbour. With your pre-purchased ticket receipt, you can just board the boat. The tour started at 10 AM and we were there about 9:20 or so. You can buy tickets at the location but run the risk of them being sold out.

The tour itself is fabulous with amazing scenery. It was one of the best excursions we ever did, and this was our 14th cruise. It took about 3 hours.

After the cruise, we decided to eat in town. We ate at a very nice burger restaurant (not fast food) called Dognvill. It was on the next street parallel to where we caught the fjord cruise boat.

Stavanger was a lovely city and we spent the rest of the afternnon shopping and looking around the harbour area.

Thank your for your post and for your comments about Dognvill. We're taking the rodne.no cruise one week from tomorrow while on our Zuiderdam cruise, and will probably plan to stop over at the restaurant after the fjord cruise.

Best wishes!

My husband did the Pulpit Rock climb and the rest of our group did the ship's cruise. We did investigate booking it online but they did not have any schedules up when we left home in April.

The excursions cost a fortune in Norway but they were all excellent. When it is so far for us it was worth spending a couple of thousand dollars to see it in comfort. We will probably never get there again.

We just loved Stavanger and thought it quite funny when the people were so excited about a sunny day. They were all stripping off and sun baking and the temperature was about the same as a warm winter day in Sydney.

I loved it there and in Kristiansand as I did not feel cheated for time as I did in Oslo, which really required about three days. I could wander around at leisure and take it all in.