Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

That looks like a fun place to eat, Jeff! The food looks so very yummy! No wonder you wanted to slim a bit before this adventure! I'm gaining weight just looking at the pics! :)

Hello,

It did no good. I didn't eat anything in the lounge ... and to be honest I didn't eat much on the flight. So we had satay. It's 00:30 here and wifey saw that I was wasting away and she went off hunting and we have just shared a big mac and fries in our little garden and it's over 30 degrees and very humid.. and we tested some of the contents of the (free :)) mini bar! Happy days.:D

So what's your news? No one posting much of their news lately. Hope

doggy is alright.

5C8419C1-0B7C-4554-B476-FC681F40D805.jpg

70E21C06-0119-414E-9E3B-AB367994710E.jpg

Not intended to offend anyone but I have just received the following urgent request. Responses and "public opinion" has in the past swayed, so if you are inclined please respond urgently. Some will recall we have discussed this case a while back and many kindly helped and directly helped cause a delay.

URGENT - Shafqat is due to be hanged on Tuesday 9th June.

Shafqat was a 14-year-old boy when he was sentenced to death. He was brutally tortured for 9 days, and eventually made a false confession to make the abuse stop. His death sentence violates Pakistani and international law.

The Pakistani authorities tried to execute him in January, but thousands of us took action together and succeeded in stopping it when he was just hours from being led to the gallows.

The Pakistani authorities are determined to kill Shafqat and have set another execution date of June 9th. They have covered up evidence that he was a child when he was sentenced to death, and ignored the brutal torture that resulted in his false confession.

Pakistan's president has the power to spare Shafqat's life. Ask him to call off the execution now.

More information

Shafqat’s death sentence caused international outrage when evidence was uncovered showing he was sentenced when he was a child, and that he was tortured into ‘confessing’ to carrying out a kidnap. The execution of children and torture are in violation of both Pakistani and international law.

Those who have raised concerns about Shafqat’s abuse have been accused of seeking to “undermine” Pakistan’s justice system and even threatened with criminal proceedings.

A Pakistani High Court judge said that the only inquiry into Shafqat’s age was “prima facie illegal.” It was conducted by the Federal Investigation Authority – an organisation which the Interior Minister admitted earlier this month requires a “clean-up operation…to weed out corrupt elements.”

Problems in Shafqat's case uncovered by Reprieve

1. The Pakistani High Court judge said that the inquiry into Shafqat’s age was “prima facie illegal.”
  2. The Pakistani government has taken control of a number of key pieces of evidence, which it has since refused to either publish or share with Shafqat’s legal team.
  3. We believe that Shafqat’s school record contains evidence that shows he was a child at the time of the alleged offence. It was taken from the school by FIA investigators who have since refused to publish or release it.
  4. The FIA have withheld statements by a number of people interviewed during the inquiry.
  5. Pakistan’s Minister for the Interior, Chaudhry Nisar, has admitted that the jail’s own doctor and the jail authorities had each recorded different ages for Shafqat.
  6. No attempt has been made by the Pakistani government to investigate Shafqat’s torture.

We're hoping for at least 5000 messages within the next day or two and we are currently half way there. Thanks in advance.

https://reprieve.bsd.net/page/speakout/save-shafqat

May I just say, that this issue is not in my view about capital punishment but about justice and fair trials.

Thanks for listening

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
spelling

I am new to these Boards and may be doing this all wrong…sorry but I am trying to respond to a posting on going to Moscow that TLCOhio posted. I wondered what private tour companies he used in St Petersburg and for his one day in Moscow. The place he ate at Central Writer's Club sounded wonderful.

Currently we are with TJ tours in St. Petersburg but I am not sure that their tour to Moscow is what I am looking for. Very few places that you actually go into, most seem to be drive bys in a bus. Is this the norm?

Gail

I am new to these Boards and may be doing this all wrong…sorry but I am trying to respond to a posting on going to Moscow that TLCOhio posted. I wondered what private tour companies he used in St Petersburg and for his one day in Moscow. The place he ate at Central Writer's Club sounded wonderful. Currently we are with TJ tours in St. Petersburg but I am not sure that their tour to Moscow is what I am looking for. Very few places that you actually go into, most seem to be drive bys in a bus. Is this the norm? Gail

Hi, Gail! Welcome to these Cruise Critic boards!! When we did our Moscow "day-trip" we used a ship's tour/excursion in 2008 when sailing with Crystal at that time. A couple of years ago, I helped arrange for friends through the firm we used for our private tours in St. Petersburg to arrange for them to do the Moscow one-day trip through this firm. That was through Anastasia. You can Google that name with the phrase "St. Petersburg Tours" to connect with that company. Things in Moscow worked very well for our friends. My suggestion would be to contact Anastasia and a couple of other firms. Tell them what you are seeking. See what they offer and suggest. Tell Anastasia that Terry from Ohio said "HI!". Hopefully, she will be very responsive and helpful as she has been with me. Ask questions! See what works best. Happy to answer any other questions, share more.

Yes, in Moscow, you want more than just a "drive-by" tour. The museum with the famed eggs is a must! We loved being inside the spectacular old churches. The Kremlin Place was very special and many tours do not go inside there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 109,032 views for this posting.

Edited by TLCOhio

Hope you are settling in well Jeff! Just wanted to let you know that we tried the passata sauce recipe you were kind enough to provide. We loved it! Bonus was much less effort required by my loving spouse! Thanks for that!

Hope you are settling in well Jeff! Just wanted to let you know that we tried the passata sauce recipe you were kind enough to provide. We loved it! Bonus was much less effort required by my loving spouse! Thanks for that!

Good Morning ....

Very pleased about that - often simpler approaches produce better results.

Yes we're settling in fine here. We were in time for the opening of South East Asia (SEA) Games which seems to be as big here as the Olymipcs. Great opening ceremony with a few good firesworks.

Yesterday we mooched around the bay and watched their Dragon Boat Races. There must have been hundreds of teams and thousands of participants. It was so free and easy. Marina Bay is a spotless as always ..

My pics aren't as good as Terry's I'm afraid. Straight from camera to Photobucket with no shanighans.

DSC02588.jpg

DSC02596.jpg

DSC02604.jpg

DSC02611.jpg

DSC02617.jpgDSC02623.jpg

Musty, 2016 WC on the Whisper?

Musty? I may be on the other side of 60 but I don't think I smell musty yet. HeHeHe. :) And yes, we are booked on the 2016 WC on the Whisper. Can't wait!

Sorry, mysty, auto correct and I didn't look! User error. Look forward to meeting you in January.

And I look forward to meeting you duct tape! :) Your reputation precedes you! You seem to be an expert on this board and someone whose company is highly sought after based on other members' posts. A valuable resource to be sure! This will be our second cruise with SS and our second on the Whisper. We loved in in 2012 so we are really excited to travel with her again.

Hi, Gail! Welcome to these Cruise Critic boards!! When we did our Moscow "day-trip" we used a ship's tour/excursion in 2008 when sailing with Crystal at that time. A couple of years ago, I helped arrange for friends through the firm we used for our private tours in St. Petersburg to arrange for them to do the Moscow one-day trip through this firm. That was through Anastasia. You can Google that name with the phrase "St. Petersburg Tours" to connect with that company. Things in Moscow worked very well for our friends. My suggestion would be to contact Anastasia and a couple of other firms. Tell them what you are seeking. See what they offer and suggest. Tell Anastasia that Terry from Ohio said "HI!". Hopefully, she will be very responsive and helpful as she has been with me. Ask questions! See what works best. Happy to answer any other questions, share more.

Yes, in Moscow, you want more than just a "drive-by" tour. The museum with the famed eggs is a must! We loved being inside the spectacular old churches. The Kremlin Place was very special and many tours do not go inside there.

Hi Terry,

Can you recall which churches you went into St. Basil? When you speak of Kremlin Place was that an outside walk around? I did not think you could go into the Kremlin. How many places did you go inside? The Tours I am looking at you go into the Armory and one church. The other things you walk in (Red Square) or drive by. One has lunch in a famous artist's gallery.

If you were to evaluate the trip to Moscow 8 plus hours round trip, plus some further sitting on the tour bus is it worth missing a day and an evening in SP?

It is hard to decide because time is precious esp when you are 69 and 78 years old.

Gail

FYI here is Anastasia's tour

Time

Event

5.45 – 6.15 am

Passing the Passport control. You need to have the following documents with You: Passport, Copy of Your Passport information list, Tour ticket (blanket visa).

6.15 am

Meeting. Your personal guide and driver will meet You right next to the passport control with the sign: Anastasia Travel Group ……..

6.15 – 6.30 am

Transfer to the train station.

6.45 – 10.30 am

Train ride to Moscow

10.30 – 11.00 am

Transfer to the Kremlin

11.00 -2.00 pm

Kremlin tour and the Armoury visit

2.00 – 3.00 pm

Lunch (optional)

3.00 - 4.45 pm

Tour of the Red Square and St Basil’s Cathedral

4.45 - 5.45 pm

Transfer to the Vorobyovy gory

5.45 – 6.15 pm

Visit of the viewpoint at Vorobyovy Gory

6.15 – 7.30 pm

Transfer to the train station

7.45 - 11.30 pm

Train ride to St Petersburg. Back to the ship.

Not intended to offend anyone but I have just received the following urgent request. Responses and "public opinion" has in the past swayed, so if you are inclined please respond urgently. Some will recall we have discussed this case a while back and many kindly helped and directly helped cause a delay.

URGENT - Shafqat is due to be hanged on Tuesday 9th June.

Shafqat was a 14-year-old boy when he was sentenced to death. He was brutally tortured for 9 days, and eventually made a false confession to make the abuse stop. His death sentence violates Pakistani and international law.

The Pakistani authorities tried to execute him in January, but thousands of us took action together and succeeded in stopping it when he was just hours from being led to the gallows.

The Pakistani authorities are determined to kill Shafqat and have set another execution date of June 9th. They have covered up evidence that he was a child when he was sentenced to death, and ignored the brutal torture that resulted in his false confession.

Pakistan's president has the power to spare Shafqat's life. Ask him to call off the execution now.

More information

Shafqat’s death sentence caused international outrage when evidence was uncovered showing he was sentenced when he was a child, and that he was tortured into ‘confessing’ to carrying out a kidnap. The execution of children and torture are in violation of both Pakistani and international law.

Those who have raised concerns about Shafqat’s abuse have been accused of seeking to “undermine” Pakistan’s justice system and even threatened with criminal proceedings.

A Pakistani High Court judge said that the only inquiry into Shafqat’s age was “prima facie illegal.” It was conducted by the Federal Investigation Authority – an organisation which the Interior Minister admitted earlier this month requires a “clean-up operation…to weed out corrupt elements.”

Problems in Shafqat's case uncovered by Reprieve

1. The Pakistani High Court judge said that the inquiry into Shafqat’s age was “prima facie illegal.”
  2. The Pakistani government has taken control of a number of key pieces of evidence, which it has since refused to either publish or share with Shafqat’s legal team.
  3. We believe that Shafqat’s school record contains evidence that shows he was a child at the time of the alleged offence. It was taken from the school by FIA investigators who have since refused to publish or release it.
  4. The FIA have withheld statements by a number of people interviewed during the inquiry.
  5. Pakistan’s Minister for the Interior, Chaudhry Nisar, has admitted that the jail’s own doctor and the jail authorities had each recorded different ages for Shafqat.
  6. No attempt has been made by the Pakistani government to investigate Shafqat’s torture.

We're hoping for at least 5000 messages within the next day or two and we are currently half way there. Thanks in advance.

https://reprieve.bsd.net/page/speakout/save-shafqat

May I just say, that this issue is not in my view about capital punishment but about justice and fair trials.

Thanks for listening

Jeff

UPDATE:

We have been successful in winning a fourth reprieve hours before Shafqat was due to be hanged today. Clive Stafford Smith's campaign at Reprieve who made a difference. He is pictured in the report and many Americans will have seen him on US TV.

Thanks to any that supported the campaign.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-33057237

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Hope you are enjoying your time Jeff! Things are quiet here. :)

I know ... very quiet. We had our best meal of all time in Singapore today, but wifey looked at it sand was dismmisive until she had a forkfull. No piccies ... but we'll be baqck and take a piccy. It was a Fried Hong Kong Mee Noodles. Basically thin wheat noodle with thin bean spreout with very finely chopped crab and char siu and onions and stuff but no sauce at all and cooked in limited oil. I think sesame. It was wonderful. From wok to table in 30 seconds from a very small haker stall family run. Granny, Grandad, daughter and grandson all in a five foot wide hawker stall at Golden Mile. We had a beer in the adjacent housing estate coffee stall nearby and all the locals smiled at a couple of Brits of the normal beaten track. Wifey lovced it ... and all this fresh loveliness was £2 for two. She is very cheap date.

For those that are prepared to help ...... I have just been mailed asking for very urgent help and I'm therefore also asking for a bit of help from those prepared to ... again this is a last minute thing where a lot of noise might halt an imminent execution of an innocent person within the next few hours. This seems to have happened politically as a result of the other reprieve.

Aftab Bahadur was sentenced to death as a child. He made a false confession after being brutally tortured. He is set to be hanged at 4.30am tomorrow, despite both of the witnesses against him recanting their evidence.

The plans to execute Aftab come just hours after a last-minute stay of execution was granted to Shafqat Hussain. It is a scandal that just hours after one child is given a last minute stay of execution, Pakistan prepares to hang another – both Shafqat and Aftab were sentenced to death as children after being brutally tortured into making false confessions.

Aftab has now been on death row for nearly 23 years, well over half his adult life. The execution of this innocent man, arrested and tortured as a child, should immediately be halted.

President Mamnoon Hussain has the power to stop this execution. Email now and ask him to grant mercy to Aftab' We're looking for a minimum of 6000 over the next few hours.

https://reprieve.bsd.net/page/speakout/don-t-execute-aftab-bahadur

Thank you muchly for those that are lenient to my pleas for help and particularly those that actually do help. And no offence intended to any that choose not to.

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou (in advance)...:)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

I know ... very quiet. We had our best meal of all time in Singapore today, but wifey looked at it sand was dismmisive until she had a forkfull. No piccies ... but we'll be baqck and take a piccy. It was a Fried Hong Kong Mee Noodles. Basically thin wheat noodle with thin bean spreout with very finely chopped crab and char siu and onions and stuff but no sauce at all and cooked in limited oil. I think sesame. It was wonderful.

Appreciate Jeff's wonderful Singapore pictures, food details, etc. Sorry on the continued problems with that individual in Pakistan. Not ideal "justice" there in that super challenged part of the world.

Any pictures to share of the Hong Kong Mee Noodles? Love to see more food treats!! Below are a few of my picture highlights from a couple of meals this past weekend. Have had friends from Colorado Springs visiting and staying with us at our home during the past five days. They were traveling with us last year during our Australia and New Zealand, etc., adventures.

Headed this weekend down to Charlottesville, Va., for more time with our fun grandsons, etc. More chances to get interesting pictures!!

More shortly on Moscow, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 178,789 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

First is a visual sample from Friday night with a wonderful walleye fish dinner with roasted garlic whipped potatoes, jumbo lump Maryland crab meat, sautéed French beans, sherry shallot cream sauce, etc. Walleye is a mild, sweet fish from our Great Lakes here in the Midwest. Second was Sunday brunch at a location called 1808 in nearby Delaware. Nice eggs benedict-style treat with lots of the sauce that I love. Finally, at this location, they had lots and lots of beers on tap. Shown is only about one third of number that they offered at their bar. This is one of the biggest beer-on-tap collections in the state. Do not think you could sample every one of their beers and still stay standing!:

June2015A2_zpsjvfplrpr.jpg

June2015A3_zpso96vu6ww.jpg

June2015A1_zps5swkpr5b.jpg

Hi Terry, Can you recall which churches you went into St. Basil? When you speak of Kremlin Place was that an outside walk around? I did not think you could go into the Kremlin. How many places did you go inside? The Tours I am looking at you go into the Armory and one church. The other things you walk in (Red Square) or drive by. One has lunch in a famous artist's gallery. If you were to evaluate the trip to Moscow 8 plus hours round trip, plus some further sitting on the tour bus is it worth missing a day and an evening in SP? It is hard to decide because time is precious esp when you are 69 and 78 years old. Gail

FYI here is Anastasia's tour

11.00 -2.00 pm Kremlin tour and the Armoury visit

2.00 – 3.00 pm Lunch (optional)

3.00 - 4.45 pm Tour of the Red Square and St Basil’s Cathedral

4.45 - 5.45 pm Transfer to the Vorobyovy gory

5.45 – 6.15 pm Visit of the viewpoint at Vorobyovy Gory

6.15 – 7.30 pm Transfer to the train station

7.45 - 11.30 pm Train ride to St Petersburg. Back to the ship.

Appreciate Gail's follow-up and added details for a potential Moscow day-trip. Whether by flying or high-speed train, it does involve a decent amount of time and cost. With the train now being used, there is some time for "resting" while traveling down there and back.

Moscow benefits and options????

As I re-call, St. Basil's is not a church where you cannot go inside to visit within that colorful structure. This church was nearly destroyed in the 1930’s when Stalin was in control. The "biggie" church we visited was within the Kremlin Walls and is Moscow's most historic church, Assumption Cathedral. It is also called the Cathedral of the Dormition. It is the mother church of Muscovite Russia. The church stands on Cathedral Square and was built in 1475–1479 by the Italian architect Aristotele Fioravanti. It was erected on the spot of an older 14th century cathedral of the same name.

Clearly walking on Red Square is an amazing and thrilling highlight!! Big, big area. Much to see all around this area. This square separates the Kremlin, as the former royal citadel and the current official residence for Russia's President, from a historic merchant quarter. Red Square is often considered the central square of Moscow and all of Russia, because Moscow's major streets originate from here. The name Red Square comes neither from the color of the bricks nor from the link between the color red and communism. The name came about because of a Russian word that can mean either "red" or "beautiful". This word, per Wikipedia, has the meaning "beautiful", was originally applied to Saint Basil's Cathedral. Then, later, the meaning was transferred to the nearby square. It is believed that the square acquired its current name in the 17th century. Red Square was the leading stage and trade center for Moscow. Ivan the Great decreed that trade should only be conducted from person to person, but later these rules were relaxed and permanent market buildings began appearing on the square. After a fire in 1547, Ivan the Terrible reorganized the lines of wooden shops on the Eastern side into market lines and part of that transitioned into what is now GUM department store that adjoins this famed square.

The Armoury has the famed Fabergé eggs. Plus, many other stars and treasures!! One of the oldest museums in Moscow, it was established in 1808 and it is located within the Kremlin Walls. It originated as the royal arsenal in 1508 during when it was in charge of producing, purchasing and storing weapons, jewelry and various household articles of the Tsars. There are ten Fabergé eggs in the Armoury collection (all Imperial eggs). This is the most Imperial eggs, and the second-most overall Fabergé eggs, owned by a single owner. The Trans-Siberian Railway Egg is a jeweled Easter egg made under the supervision of the Russian jeweler Peter Carl Fabergé in 1900 for Tsar Nicholas II of Russia. It was presented by Nicolas II as an Easter gift to his wife. The exterior of the 1900 Trans-Siberian Railway egg is made of onyx, silver, gold, and quartz, and is decorated with colored vitreous enamel. The lid of the egg is hinged, has an overlay of green enamel, and is decorated with inlaid leaves of acanthus. On top of the lid is a golden three-headed eagle in gold with the Imperial Crown. The interior is lined with velvet. A route map of the Trans-Siberian Railway is engraved in silver across the face, with major stations marked by a precious stone, forming a belt around the egg. The egg is supported by three griffins made of gold-plated silver on a stepped triangular base of white onyx.

During our 2008 visit to Moscow, we did not visit to Vorobyovy Gory in order to get that "overview" of the town. Missing on your schedule is getting inside the actual Kremlin Palace. Ask Anastasia about that options and potential to have it included. Not all tours are able to go there. We were inside there for these spectacular palace rooms and it was an amazing highlight!! Press to see what it takes to get inside there for the Kremlin Palace.

Will you ride the subway on this schedule? Ask her about any other options are worth considering, including filling in the time during the luncheon time period. Or, maybe there are other, better options for thing to include a resting/eating period that gets more samples and experiences of Moscow, etc.

There is lots to see in and around the Kremlin, inside its walls, etc. That would be included and possible under the schedule she offered

Happy to share more and/or respond to other questions about the Moscow options. Can share lots of visuals from Moscow, if helpful.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 23,881 views for these postings.

Appreciate Jeff's wonderful Singapore pictures, food details, etc. Sorry on the continued problems with that individual in Pakistan. Not ideal "justice" there in that super challenged part of the world.

Any pictures to share of the Hong Kong Mee Noodles? Love to see more food treats!! Below are a few of my picture highlights from a couple of meals this past weekend. Have had friends from Colorado Springs visiting and staying with us at our home during the past five days. They were traveling with us last year during our Australia and New Zealand, etc., adventures.

Headed this weekend down to Charlottesville, Va., for more time with our fun grandsons, etc. More chances to get interesting pictures!!

More shortly on Moscow, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 178,789 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

First is a visual sample from Friday night with a wonderful walleye fish dinner with roasted garlic whipped potatoes, jumbo lump Maryland crab meat, sautéed French beans, sherry shallot cream sauce, etc. Walleye is a mild, sweet fish from our Great Lakes here in the Midwest. Second was Sunday brunch at a location called 1808 in nearby Delaware. Nice eggs benedict-style treat with lots of the sauce that I love. Finally, at this location, they had lots and lots of beers on tap. Shown is only about one third of number that they offered at their bar. This is one of the biggest beer-on-tap collections in the state. Do not think you could sample every one of their beers and still stay standing!:

June2015A2_zpsjvfplrpr.jpg

June2015A3_zpso96vu6ww.jpg

June2015A1_zps5swkpr5b.jpg

Wonder if the OWU students enjoy the eggs Benedict at 1808 as much as the draft beer? In my days at OWU the beer would definitely be the winner!

Wonder if the OWU students enjoy the eggs Benedict at 1808 as much as the draft beer? In my days at OWU the beer would definitely be the winner!

Great to know of your Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) connections to here in Central Ohio. Nice school and Delaware is a charming, wonderful town!! As a dining and drinking location, this 1808 place where we were at on Sunday is probably more "upscale" than what many or most students would seek and/or do. They would head to locations in Delaware closer to the main campus and cheaper for the beer. Most students do not need the fancier "designer" or craft beers. They just want the "basics", fast, cheap and cold.

Given your OWU/Delaware history, you might love these two info items. The current Colorado couple staying with us over this past weekend plus had two special connection. They both lived for many decades in southern Delaware County and she owned/operated for a number of years the famous, historic Buns Restaurant dining place in this town. Buns goes back to 1864 and had the famous sign hanging over West Winter Street. Lots of OWU students and parents have dined at Buns over the many years. Second, our friend was at a law firm named for one of the partners who married a daughter of Branch Rickey. Who was Rickey? He was an OWU grad and athlete who become an innovative Major League baseball executive elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1967. Rickey was best known for breaking baseball's color barrier by signing African-American player Jackie Robinson, getting the first Afro-Hispanic superstar, Roberto Clemente, for creating the framework for the modern minor league farm system, etc. Branch Rickey is considered one of OWU's most famous grads. I also know the current OWU Athletic Director and work closely with his wife. Lots of connections for me with Delaware and OWU.

Glad you mentioned your OWU history. Keep it coming!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 199,751 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Good to see some more action on the cooler ....:)

Not much to report really .... will promise to take more piccies ... the problem is that we have done the same thing so many times it's pictures of the same stuff.

met a lovely man yestreday who owns some restuarants here .. some of the top rated Tripadvisor ones and he is really passionate about food and so of course it was all about food. He asked about mine and I promised to send him some piccies. In fact I couldn't choose so I just went through and copied some of my rather inflated photobucket files into a slide show and I've included a link in case anyone feels sufficiently depsperate or hungry to punt their way through...

When you are having a long coffee and a cigerette and a cough, you might find it amusing to glance through. Anything from bagels, to a micro beer brewery, to pizza, to lahmucan, to sourdough to risotto and pizza and pasta, char siu to duck to cupcakes to icecream and some pastry of my own invention - a cross between apple strudel and baclava with cream ...... I'll try my best at anything.

I'm trying to make up for not taking more piccies of the food whilst here as I feel I have let you down. I'll do better.

I've made it a "public" slide show so if it works it should just show you a slideshow of around 100 piccies. Ypou can pace it slow medium or fast. Almost a death sentence!

Jeff

http://s612.photobucket.com/user/sparkyguts/slideshow/Food/Sandeep%20Sachar

I remember the Branch Rickey history well, and spent lots of time dining at Buns with family and friends. Currently, I'm doing my best to entice my OWU roommate to join us on a SS cruise.

Keep working on your OWU roommate. Where are you planning to do this cruise/adventure through Silversea? Have your college roommate look at my live/blogs from doing Norway, Amazon River and Caribbean trips with this excellent cruise line. See the food, staff, facilities, entertainment, etc., offerings. Happy to share more, answer other questions about using this line, etc. Keep up the good efforts. Traveling together with friends really adds to the fun and experience.

On Buns, I also knew well and worked with the Hoffman family that ran this location prior to my friend buying the Delaware dining landmark.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 23,881 views for these postings.

Sad news from Pakistan over the last hour or so. Inevitable I guess.

Pakistan executes man who was minor when convicted

"This is a truly shameful day for Pakistan's justice system. Aftab was subjected to almost every injustice conceivable," said Maya Foa, director from international human rights group Reprieve.

"To the last, Pakistan refused even to grant his lawyers the few days needed to present evidence which would have proved his innocence. This is a travesty of justice, and tragedy for all those who knew Aftab," she added.

Reprieve said Bahadur had been convicted on the basis of testimony from two eyewitnesses. They both later retracted their statements, saying they were made under torture.

In an essay written for Reprieve before his death, Bahadur protested his innocence: "I just received my Black Warrant. It says I will be hanged by the neck until dead on Wednesday, 10 June. I am innocent, but I do not know whether that will make any difference.

"I suppose my life experience is different from that of most people, but I doubt there is anything more dreadful than being told that you are going to die, and then sitting in a prison cell just waiting for that moment.

"For many years - since I was just 15 years old - I have been stranded between life and death," he added.

"I hope I do not die on Wednesday, but I have no source of money, so I can only rely on God and on my volunteer lawyers. I have not given up hope, though the night is very dark."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-33074769

His lawyers say he was 14 in 2002 when he was burnt with cigarettes and had his fingernails removed until he confessed to killing a child. Authorities say he was 23 when he was sentenced.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/06/10/uk-pakistan-execution-juvenile-idUKKBN0OQ06U20150610

Edited by UKCruiseJeff