Plan for getting to Pearl Harbor.

madjohn

Will be visiting Pearl Harbor during week in late July. My Plan is to get off ship and get Taxi to Pearl Harbor so that we can get there before the crowds. Then was going to go around on the BUS or the tolley I have heard about.

Questions-- How much will taxi fare be? Also the trolley that goes around, any info on that. Is it like the one in San Diego? any help would be great

thanks

John

It would be good to get a taxi before the tours leave the ship. Since Pearl Harbor is free, it would seem to me better to spend the money on a taxi rather than the tour from the ship.

TheBus is the local transportation - there's a stop at the road next to Pearl Harbor. It's $2, I think.

Sorry - don't know about a trolley. From the cruise terminal there is a bus to Hilo Hattie's that is free. Nancy

John,

Here's a link for the Waikiki trolley

http://www.waikikitrolley.com/

It's been a few years since we've been there but a taxi just to Alamo Car rental office about 1 mile east of the airport was $15 in 2003. Pearl is 2-3 miles west of the airport, so I'd guess you might pay about $25 each way.

Not sure how you would arrange a return trip since I've never noticed any

taxis making pickups at Pearl, but then I wasn't looking for them either. JMO, but the cost of a rental car would probably be comparable to the taxi fare to/from Pearl and you would have it for the whole day:)

In a follow up to the previous post, I just did this last week. I got off the boat - on a Monday morning - just after 7:30 with express disembarkation (blessedly painless) and got on an Alamo shuttle (they run every 10 - 15 minutes during disembarkation) to the Waikiki location nearby. Got my car, drove to Pearl Harbor. When all was said and done, I arrived at PH at 9am, got a ticket for 10:30am, and was done with the Arizona and back on shore at 11:30am. I just missed the tour groups, which arrived in droves within minutes after my own arrival. The line was VERY long at that point.

Does the Bus run an express shuttle from Waikiki to Pearl Harbor? Are there route maps and timetables at the hotels? Or the airport? We are trying to decide if we should return our rental car the day before we are planning on visiting Pearl Harbor (saving the hotel parking fee and rental fee for one day). Also, can we get to the Missouri and Bowfin without a car? Thank you for your help! These boards are so helpful!

Pearl Harbor is one excursion that I would book through the ship. Just because you arrive there, doesn't mean you will get a ticket to get in. Waits can be extremely long even with advance purchase through the ship. It's not unusual to wait 1-3 hours.

The Bowfin is directly adjacent to the Pearl Harbor vistor center, that's where I went to walk around when waiting for my Arizona tour. The Missouri is out past the Arizona, but the tickets are purchased at the same place as the Bowfin, so I am going to assume there is a ferry from the submarine park to the Missouri. But having not done it nor actually having seen a ferry, I can't confirm that part.

Regarding ship tours, it certainly would be handy if you are doing an all-day tour that drops you off at the airport afterwards, but if you are staying in town for a day it would probably be in your best interest to try and beat the tours to PH to have an earlier Arizona tour.

Does the Bus run an express shuttle from Waikiki to Pearl Harbor? Are there route maps and timetables at the hotels? Or the airport? We are trying to decide if we should return our rental car the day before we are planning on visiting Pearl Harbor (saving the hotel parking fee and rental fee for one day). Also, can we get to the Missouri and Bowfin without a car? Thank you for your help! These boards are so helpful!

There is a web site for The Bus that lists all the routes and (approximate) times.

Pearl Harbor is one excursion that I would book through the ship. Just because you arrive there, doesn't mean you will get a ticket to get in. Waits can be extremely long even with advance purchase through the ship. It's not unusual to wait 1-3 hours.

You wait just as long if you book through the ship. Pearl Harbor is free. From the ship's tour you will get the bus ride, but you still will wait in line.

Puablo, what is express disembarkation? Same as easy fly? Did you have your luggage sent to the airport or did you take it with you? Did you return the rental to the downtown location or to the airport (wondering about drop charge for leaving at a different location than pickup with Alamo). Thanks!

Madjon, took a cab from Moana Surfrider to PH and it was about $40 and took about 20 min with a slow,elderly driver. The hotel is further away than from the pier. We got there at 7am and were in group #2 to tour at 8am. This was May 23rd.

Will be visiting Pearl Harbor during week in late July. My Plan is to get off ship and get Taxi to Pearl Harbor so that we can get there before the crowds. Then was going to go around on the BUS or the tolley I have heard about.

Questions-- How much will taxi fare be? Also the trolley that goes around, any info on that. Is it like the one in San Diego? any help would be great

thanks

John[/quote

Havent been yet..but...I was just reading in the Oahu Revealed book,and it says the trolley is $25 PP per day or $45 for a 4 day pass. Dot

John,

We are doing the Princess Pearl Harbor tour and read somewhere on CC that the bus will go to Pearl Harbor, get tickets for a later time and then take you on a city tour and then back to Pearl Harbor in time for your tour. I hope this is true. We thought about doing a taxi but were worried that tour participants will have priority for getting off the ship at the dock. We want this cruise to be as hassle free as possible so we are only doing ship tours. Hope this helps.

Judy

Puablo, what is express disembarkation? Same as easy fly? Did you have your luggage sent to the airport or did you take it with you? Did you return the rental to the downtown location or to the airport (wondering about drop charge for leaving at a different location than pickup with Alamo). Thanks!

We stayed in Oahu an extra day so we did not use EasyFly, Express Disembarkation simply means that as soon as they open the doors (7:30am for us) you can leave the ship... with the caveat that you are responsible for taking your luggage with you. Which means that yes, I had a rental car full of luggage, one suitcase clearly in view, at Pearl Harbor. It seemed pretty safe to me, to be honest, but what do I know? Back to express disembarkation though - when I did this on Princess, it was a miserable experience because everyone was kicked out of their rooms at that point and clogged the elevators and hallways with no regard for the couple forced to drag tons of bags down stairs and through a loitering crowd. But in Hawaii, on NCL, it was MUCH better because NCL doesn't force people out of their rooms, and we had an elevator all to ourself and got off the ship effortlessly.

I returned my rental car to the airport. When I originally planned the reservation, I *thought* I had confirmed it was the same rental price regardless of how I did it, but on my bill (which was for the exact quoted price) there was a $30 drop charge. So it's quite possible that I was completely wrong there, but in hindsight I really didn't care. The unfortunate part is that I can't give a conclusive answer to the drop charge question - but I assume that's what it was for since a $30 drop charge to return to the pickup location wouldn't make any sense.

Archived