Personal DVD Players in the Dining Room

ccturner26

Has anyone ever used these on the cruise in the dining room? I have a 15 month old and we will be sailing in a week. I didn't think about this option until someone mentioned it. DO you think it would be acceptable to use one, with the volume turned down as to not bother anytone, at dinner?

Personally I would have no problem with it. BUT, I remember this whole big blow out on the RCCL board about someone who was "incovenienced" because the tween at the next table was watching a DVD with headphones on and the person was "forced" to watch the movie at dinner every night. :rolleyes:

I'll see if I can find the discussion, it was a doosy.

Actually, it is pretty poor manners for the dining room. Might be better at the buffet.

Bring some paper and crayons, a doodle pro or other quiet activity.

We've traveled extensively and use the DVD player for flights etc, but I do think it inappropriate for the dining room.

Its inappropriate no matter what the child's age might be.

Start teaching good manners when they're young, and it's something they'll have to carry them through all their life.* Start overindulging them at this age, and we'll have yet another self-centered, ADD brat who can't sit still to contend with.

Actually, it is pretty poor manners for the dining room. Might be better at the buffet.

Bring some paper and crayons, a doodle pro or other quiet activity.

We've traveled extensively and use the DVD player for flights etc, but I do think it inappropriate for the dining room.

I have to agree, paper and crayons are much more appropriate for the dining room.

I disagree with the other posters. If a movie keeps your 15 month old happy (and is quiet enough so the other diners can't hear it) it is fine. I bet they would rather have your toddler engrossed in a movie than whining and fussing at the table!

One of the first things we do when we board the ship is make sure we are the only ones at our table (and switch if we aren't - actually we have always had to switch) - it is much less stressful for me to not have to worry about inconviencing tablemates if my child is having an "off" day.

Sometimes being a parent means that we can't always do what we want. Taking a 15 month old on a cruise would be a challange and may mean eating in the Lido versus a long drawn out dinner in the dining room. If you are on a line that offers a private babysitter then opt for that a few nights. Most 15 month olds can not sit still and be quiet at a dinner table for any longer then 5 minutes regardless of how many crayons. DVD's are to distracting and large and most 15 month olds will sing, clap and dance to the music. Just realize that as a parent you need to adjust your wants in favor of what is best for your child. Forcing that young of a child to sit through a 2 hour dinner is totally unfair to your child.

I've seen DVD's in the dining rooms. Be reasonable make sure its not to loud , perhaps ask to be seated to the side where it shouldn't bother anyone and go for it. I would much rather see a 15 mo old singing and clapping than crying.

I have to agree with those who say NO DVDS in the dining room. A child who's old enough to enjoy watching a movie is old enough to learn to sit still quietly at dinner.

DVDs at dinner are just one example, but many children today are growing up with the idea that they are the center of the universe, that the rules are bent for them because they are young, and that their convenience and happiness is more important than the comfort of those around them. This attitude shows up in school, and it will be problematic for these poor kids for the rest of their lives.

I've seen DVD's in the dining rooms. Be reasonable make sure its not to loud , perhaps ask to be seated to the side where it shouldn't bother anyone and go for it. I would much rather see a 15 mo old singing and clapping than crying.

And I would rather see a child enjoying a dining experience appropriate to their age then being entertained by a video.

There's no way you can teach a 15-month-old to sit still and be quiet during a long dinner without some kind of distraction. And you have the same rights as everyone to enjoy a nice dinner at least once on your cruise, so I think it's no problem if it'll keep her happy. Maybe you could go at an off time, stay off to the side like someone suggested and keep the volume really low. If she gets fussy, you could take her out until she's feeling better then return to your table. Hopefully she'll be well rested and it won't be a problem. I think a 15-month-old is a little young to be expecting good manners.

I think a 15-month-old is a little young to be expecting good manners.

And that's the problem right there folks.

If 15 months is too young to begin teaching manners, when is it right to begin?

5 years old?* 15 years old?

You have to start teaching them what's expected when they're young - that means that we're all sitting together for dinner quietly.* If 2 hours is too long, then Mommy and Daddy need to adjust what's do-able in their lives: *ie: *dine in the Lido or hire a stewardess/waitress to babysit - not bring "Barney and Friends" to the dining room.

Knowing that our 14 mo old son could never sit through dinner quietly, we took him to the Windjammer early then hired a babysitter so that we could have a quiet dinner with adults. However, knowing our oldest son, when he was 16 months we brought him to the diningroom every evening and never had a problem. It all depends on the child. As for bringing a DVD, if you feel the need to bring it, then your child is probably not ready for that situation. You should do what you feel is right for you, your child, and the people around you. Most importantly, have a GREAT cruise!:D

A restaurant / dining room is not the place for a DVD, headphones, ipod etc. It is never too early to teach children good manners and appropriate behavior. The dining room on a cruise ship is no different than a dining room at a nice resort and acceptable behavior there is different from what may be acceptable at home. They need to learn the difference.

I disagree with the other posters. If a movie keeps your 15 month old happy (and is quiet enough so the other diners can't hear it) it is fine. I bet they would rather have your toddler engrossed in a movie than whining and fussing at the table!

One of the first things we do when we board the ship is make sure we are the only ones at our table (and switch if we aren't - actually we have always had to switch) - it is much less stressful for me to not have to worry about inconviencing tablemates if my child is having an "off" day.

/quote]

there's the rub, Viking30, "quiet enough so that other diners don't hear it" or see it......it's a dining room not a nursery!

If a child fusses or whines, they should be removed from the dining room - just part of being a parent. If they are having an "off" day, they shouldn't even be brought to the dining room - just part of being a responsible parent.

There's no way you can teach a 15-month-old to sit still and be quiet during a long dinner without some kind of distraction. And you have the same rights as everyone to enjoy a nice dinner at least once on your cruise, so I think it's no problem if it'll keep her happy. Maybe you could go at an off time, stay off to the side like someone suggested and keep the volume really low. If she gets fussy, you could take her out until she's feeling better then return to your table. I think a 15-month-old is a little young to be expecting good manners.

Yes, a person has the same rights to enjoy a nice dinner as all other passengers as long as they are not ruining someone else's right to that dinner.

A 15 month old shouldn't be expected to have perfect manners, but a parent is expected to have them! When we become parents we accept the responsibility for our children. If they can't handle a dining venue appropriately it is us, the parent, who is responsible and should respond appropriately - whether it's leaving the dining room or not bringing the child if they can't handle it well.

A restaurant / dining room is not the place for a DVD, headphones, ipod etc. It is never too early to teach children good manners and appropriate behavior. The dining room on a cruise ship is no different than a dining room at a nice resort and acceptable behavior there is different from what may be acceptable at home. They need to learn the difference.

Could not have said this better myself. I agree that a DVD player is not dining room entertainment. If the child needs to be enteratained then it should be done elsewhere.

With that being said, our daughter is not allowed to eat ANY food at home with her fingers. Only those such as a hamburger which, even if eaten in a restaurant (we're not talking just fast food) would of course be eaten with your hands. She could not differentiate between good manners at home and while eating dinner out. We as parents we have taken on the responsibility and are teaching her the right way. If it means "suffering" at home having to eat french fries with a fork, so be it. The lesson is being learned.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely think it's the parents' responsibility to instill manners in their children. I wouldn't even consider taking my young children in the dining room, because I'd be too stressed out trying not to bother others. Yes, we do have established family rules at mealtime, and yes, there are consequences if they're not followed. That being said, they're little and I wouldn't want to chance it in that environment. A 15-month-old is too young for the children's program, and it just wouldn't bother me to see a quiet baby watching a DVD while her parents had a much-deserved meal. Just my opinion.

Ok, since I am the original poster and am now seeing all of this...

First of all, I am curious, I can see people saying it is rude to possibly use this in the dining room. That is fine. But those of you that are talking of manners and crayons...that is plain crazy. He is 15 months old. He EATS crayons right now. The DoodlePro sometimes becomes a hazard (and really the age it is geared to is higher than his age). He has limited vocabulary so manners, kind of a moot point right now. I do agree, if he gets out of hand, in eating at the buffet. And obviously will be verifying where we are seated. I am hoping RCCL has a little sense as to who to seat us with and who not to.

Beyond this, tell me, those who are against this (and trust me, I do understand some of your reasons), do you actually have children? I am not asking to be a smarty-pants but honestly, I want to know where you are coming from.

Lisa:

I am curious, you say that your children don't eat with their hands? So did you basically feed them until they got to the "I can manage a fork on my own w/o stabbing myseif in the eye or throwing food all over me" stage? Seriously, I am curious. I know some kids do that early. I am jsut just not ready to attempt that yet.

Ok, since I am the original poster and am now seeing all of this...

First of all, I am curious, I can see people saying it is rude to possibly use this in the dining room. That is fine. But those of you that are talking of manners and crayons...that is plain crazy. He is 15 months old. He EATS crayons right now. The DoodlePro sometimes becomes a hazard (and really the age it is geared to is higher than his age). He has limited vocabulary so manners, kind of a moot point right now. I do agree, if he gets out of hand, in eating at the buffet. And obviously will be verifying where we are seated. I am hoping RCCL has a little sense as to who to seat us with and who not to.

Beyond this, tell me, those who are against this (and trust me, I do understand some of your reasons), do you actually have children? I am not asking to be a smarty-pants but honestly, I want to know where you are coming from.

I certainly do have children and am hoping for grandchildren. We spent 6 and half years adjusting our vacations while living in Europe to age appropriate vacations for our children. There was a tremendous amount of culture that we missed out on because our children were more important to us and just to young to cope, then our own entertainment. Using an electronic gadget as a babysitter so you can have dinner is just bad and selfish parenting IMHO.

I totally agree, a DVD player is unappropriate in any eating establishment (yes folks even Mc Donalds) but i don't agree that is is just "bad selfish parenting" in everyones situation, i believe in some situations parents don't know or were never showed how to calm down a situation and teach them correct manors. The Nanny is a perfect example, most of those parents want their children to act right and want to be able to take them out to dinner or in public without acting up but no one has ever shown the parents how to correctly teach their children.

A bad habit or a good habit, children learn very quickly.

Archived