Western Carib & Verizon Wireless

fm519

We were on the Jewel a few weeks ago, we had 2 different phone services, Cingular and Sprint we had a strong singal even at sea. They put a new tower on the ship which you can use, I asked how much? I was told to contact my carrier which when I called new exactly were I was ( out in the North Atlantic) and the service was $2. 50 per minute.

Our waiter told us this service was for the employees to keep touch at home.

With Verizon Wireless, you must have International Roaming turned on by Customer Service before you go to the Caribbean.

Verizon Wireless offers International Roaming/Dialing for the following Cruise Ports:

Aruba

Bermuda

Bonaire

Brazil

British Virgin Islands

Bonaire

Curacau

Dominican Republic

Jamaica

Mexico (Not Cozumel)

St. Maarten

U S Virgin Islands (St Thomas, St Croix, St John)

The cost is usually .69/min (Brazil is 1.29/min)

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I had full service with Verizon my entire cruise, at least while I was on the ship...I was roaming so I didn't dare make a call. I tried to make a call while in Cozumel and I got a recording in Spanish, I'm assuming it said no you can't make this call.

My wife is on the same bill as me and she couldn't get a signal. Her phone is kind of old though.

Hi Radio...welcome back!

Here is a link to cruise ships that are currently equipped with onboard cell systems (as of October 16, 2006).

Your phone must be GSM capable to work onboard...

Enjoy.

LL

CDMA is now supported on most ships along with GSM. Like Radio said, with Verizon you need international roaming enabled.

I guess a person could google Cellular at Sea or Cingular at Sea for the list.

CDMA is now supported on most ships along with GSM. Like Radio said, with Verizon you need international roaming enabled.

jrm9999, you are correct about CDMA. The old analog phones won't work.

LL :)

I was on the Mariner for the western trip in Sept. You have to call Verizon and have them turn on the international roaming for your phone (cost is -0-). You can then call from Jamaica to the US by dialing 1 the area code and the number. In Cozumel you have to dial 001 the area code and the number. The only charges we incurred were $.69 a minute from one port and $1.29 from the other. You can go on Verizon's webisite and find all the places you can call from and the additional roaming charge per minute you'll have to pay.

Archived