Naples Circumvesuviana train stations

From doing my research on the Circumvesuviana website, it appears that the Circumvesuviana train from Naples going to Pompeii originates at the Circumvesuvian train station named NAPOLI - PORTA NOLANA - CORSO GARIBALDI and then stops about 2 minutes later at the main Naples train station named NAPOLI - GARIBALDI (STAZIONE CENTRALE F.S.) before continuing on to Pompeii. So a couple questions:

1. Assuming you can convince a taxi to take you to the train station from the ship, is there an advantage to going to one station over the other? I would think it best to go to the PORTA NOLANA station in order to get first chances at a seat. There are 3 in my party.

2. On the return from Pompeii, which station is best to get off the train in order to get a taxi back to the port? I'm guessing there might be more taxis at the city's main station - STAZIONE CENTRALE F.S.

From doing my research on the Circumvesuviana website, it appears that the Circumvesuviana train from Naples going to Pompeii originates at the Circumvesuvian train station named NAPOLI - PORTA NOLANA - CORSO GARIBALDI and then stops about 2 minutes later at the main Naples train station named NAPOLI - GARIBALDI (STAZIONE CENTRALE F.S.) before continuing on to Pompeii. So a couple questions:

1. Assuming you can convince a taxi to take you to the train station from the ship, is there an advantage to going to one station over the other? I would think it best to go to the PORTA NOLANA station in order to get first chances at a seat. There are 3 in my party.

2. On the return from Pompeii, which station is best to get off the train in order to get a taxi back to the port? I'm guessing there might be more taxis at the city's main station - STAZIONE CENTRALE F.S.

We just did this in May. Yes, you are right. It is best to go to the Circumvesuviana station in the morning to catch the train toward Pompeii and Sorrento. There were plenty of taxis waiting to take people to the station, when we got off the ship. Be sure and try and negotiate your price before you leave in the taxi. We asked to have the taxi metered, the guy said yes, and when we got there he tried to rip up off, and say it was 20 E, for about a 5 - 10 min ride, didn't set the meter as we asked. We refused, threatened to call the police, handed him 10 E, and just walked off. Worked fine.

The station was small, and not crowded. There was no line to buy tickets at 8:30 in the morning - walked right up, and got our tickets. If you are going to Pompeii and Sorrento, be sure and buy your ticket from Naples to Sorrento. This allows you to get off at Pompeii, and get back on and use the same ticket on to Sorrento. Be sure and buy round trip so you don't have to waste time getting them on the return. There is no savings for buying round trip, but just easier. You will actually receive 2 tickets, one for going and one for coming back. Be sure and validate only one of the tickets before getting on the train. You get on the train, and it is basically empty, so no problem getting seats. A few minutes later they stop at the main station, Napoli Garibaldi, and tons of people get on. So, you have the advantage of already having seats. It was nice and very easy to do.

On the return we went all the way back to the Circumvesuviana station. There were plenty of taxis there to take us back.

Enjoy your trip ! :)

kwk is right on the mark! Just be aware that you'll get the sales pitch from the taxi driver to take you to Pompeii and beyond... Almalfi coast too. Politely refuse, and no more than 10 euros per taxi to the train station. We had 4 in ours and that seemed to be the going rate per vehicle, (probably tourist rate even 2 years ago) but we were fairly tuckered out from Rome the day before so the walk would have been a mile too far!

May I suggest only buying a one way ticket to Pompeii and then going on to Sorrento for lunch? This is what we did, and truly the lunch in Sorrento was a highlight of our day and probably one of the best of our cruise. A hydrofoil can take you back to the pier (next to the cruise-lines!) in the afternoon. A most enjoyable day!

There are two taxi areas at the Stazione Maritima in Naples where your ship will dock. The cabs closest to the ship are really only interested in day tours, and several flatly refused to take us to the Circumvesuviana station. Walk further out toward the street, and there is a large cab stand with cabs interested in local fares. Or just take the bus or tram to Corso Garibaldi, and walk 4 or 5 blocks to the station. Incidentally, clerks at the station (or at least the one we used) speak English. Also, note that there are two Pompeii stations; you want Pompeii Scavi not plain Pompeii which is for the town, not the ruins.

Our experience matches kwk's, several cabs were waiting when we returned.

How far is it to walk from the port to the train station? Is it very hot and noisy or is a pleasant walk?

We actually walked back looking for a grocery store to pick up some drinks. No grocery store, and not a very pleasant walk back. I would say it took 20 - 30 min to walk back, and it was HOT ! It was also quite dirty with lots of trash around the streets. I didn't necessarily feel it was dangerous walking back, but I didn't enjoy it. Nothing of interest to see walking back. Oh, we did get to see two druggie looking people laid out in a doorway, so that was lovely. My advise would be to take a taxi. 10 E I think. :)

I agree with posters here, starting your Circumvesuviana trip at the Nolana station might save some headaches (and, according to when you start your trip, the Central Station (Garibaldi) can get REALLY packed with kids going to the beach.

Not sure if you have your heart set on Pompeii or not, but our new favorite place we take visitors is Ercolano. It far better preserved than Pompeii (because it was basically sealed in mud) and it's much easier to see in a short time. Pompeii is pretty big and you can easily spend a day or so there. Ercolano is just as easy to get to - you hop off the train at the Ercolono stop and walk down the hill towards the water.

On the way back if you ride all the way back to Nolana you can wind through Napoli's Centro Storico (historic center.) You can turn north and head up via Duomo, then over on Via Tribunali, then wind back towards the port. It's a facinating area.

Have fun!

The question has been raised about walking to the stations so here is the scoop. From the cruise piers to the closer Stazione Circumvesuviania station is about 3/4 of a mile and it is about 1/4 of a mile futher to get to the main train station. The Circumvesuviania trains (this is the privately owned trains that go to Herculanium, Pompeii and on to Sorrento) originate at the Stazione Circumvesuviania station, and since its closer to the ships it makes the most sense to go to this station. For those that like to walk, it is about a 20 min stroll,,,

Hank

The question has been raised about walking to the stations so here is the scoop. From the cruise piers to the closer Stazione Circumvesuviania station is about 3/4 of a mile and it is about 1/4 of a mile futher to get to the main train station. The Circumvesuviania trains (this is the privately owned trains that go to Herculanium, Pompeii and on to Sorrento) originate at the Stazione Circumvesuviania station, and since its closer to the ships it makes the most sense to go to this station. For those that like to walk, it is about a 20 min stroll,,,

Hank

Thanks, Hank.

How obvious is the walking route to the station?

Is the train to Sorrento cheaper than taking the Hydrofoil?

How obvious is the walking route to the station?

Very straightforward. Just go out to the street which is perpendicular to where your ship is docked, and turn right, away from the big castle. It starts out as Via Cristoforo Colombo and then turns into Nuova Marina, but it is the same street, trolley tracks in the middle, buildings on one side and the port fence on the other. Walk until you get to Corso Garibaldi and turn left, away from the docks. Walk about 4 or 5 blocks and you are at the station, which will be on the right side of Corso Garibaldi. It is set back from the sidewalk, and the resulting open area is where taxis pick up and discharge. Couldn't be a simpler walk.

Very straightforward. Just go out to the street which is perpendicular to where your ship is docked, and turn right, away from the big castle. It starts out as Via Cristoforo Colombo and then turns into Nuova Marina, but it is the same street, trolley tracks in the middle, buildings on one side and the port fence on the other. Walk until you get to Corso Garibaldi and turn left, away from the docks. Walk about 4 or 5 blocks and you are at the station, which will be on the right side of Corso Garibaldi. It is set back from the sidewalk, and the resulting open area is where taxis pick up and discharge. Couldn't be a simpler walk.

Thanks, Bob. What excellent directions. I hhave been before and can visualize the route.

Archived