Deep Sea Fishing Excursion in Cozumel..Yes or No ??

mr jailerman

Need a little help on this one. Has anyone went on this excursion befour? I came across a private tour group Called "Cozumel Charters" on line which at least has a nice website with nice looking boats and states that their "The #1 charter company in Cozumel". Anyone know how creditable this company is? There are three of us that would charter this boat and we could get OUR OWN boat with "Cozumel Charters" for 6 hours for what Carnival would charge us for 4 hours plus we would have to share the boat and lines with 3 other people. I have never booked an excursion that was not ship sponsored and as good as sounds still a bit hesitant. Only in Cozumel for 11 hours.. This Any advice would be a help.. Thanks and have a great day..:)

Need a little help on this one. Has anyone went on this excursion befour? I came across a private tour group Called "Cozumel Charters" on line which at least has a nice website with nice looking boats and states that their "The #1 charter company in Cozumel". Anyone know how creditable this company is? There are three of us that would charter this boat and we could get OUR OWN boat with "Cozumel Charters" for 6 hours for what Carnival would charge us for 4 hours plus we would have to share the boat and lines with 3 other people. I have never booked an excursion that was not ship sponsored and as good as sounds still a bit hesitant. Only in Cozumel for 11 hours.. This Any advice would be a help.. Thanks and have a great day..:)

If you are looking for a private charter...I would recommend Wahoo. Jim on the Cozumel board under PORTS on this forum can give you any info you need on them. He can also give you a chart of the kinds of fish that run at different times of the year.

Good luck and have great day in Cozumel.

Jailerman,

I have not used this company for fishing in Cozumel - but on 2 different crusies I did set up a charter ( cozumel anglers fleet - I dont think they are around anymore ) but the charters were good - it was especially funny on one cruise ( princess) where - I arrived at the marina via a taxi and there were two identicle boats from this company side by side - one was of course my private charter , one from the ship - I paid 50% less than the ship charter ! - When one of the fellows on the other boat saw me that night at dinner and asked how our fishing was - I explained to him that I had pre-arranged the charter months before - when he found out I paid 50% less than his charter he was a bit bewildered( and to compound this he was more miffed when he realized we caught more fish), Setting up your own excursions is fine - I do it every cruise ( have been on 9 cruises and never have had a problem) - I have done fishing charters ( both carib,. and west coast of MX. , I have set up private horseback riding in Jamiaca 2 seperate occasions ( for my family of four and the kids were like 7 and 10) - I have set up cave tubing trips in Belize - just tons and tons on my own - You will save lots of bucks and have a better experience than going with the hoards from the ship - OF COURSE always use common sense ! most of these tour operators are legit and they want word of mouth advertising on these boards.

I am looking again to fish Cozumel this year on Feb(08)- Just got word that my cruise has added Cozumel and dropped Costa Maya ( this actuallu made me happy )

1987 - Chandras Brittanis - Souther Caribe/S America ( before kids !!)

1997 - Costa Romantica - East Carib ( Kids first 5 and 8 yo - when they were adorable )

2001 - RCL Voyager - West Caribe

2002 - Grand Princess - East Caribe

2003 - Carnival Pride - East Caribe

2004 - RCL Mariner - West Caribe

2005 - Carnival Valor - West Caribe

2006 - Sapphire Princess - West Coast - Mexico

2007 - Carnival Legend - South Caribe

2008 - Carnival Victory - West Carib

I started fishing Cozumel in 1975, when Striker was trying to establish their alumininum hulls - We would move our boat down there in April and fish there thru late June - then catch up on the tournament's back on the mainland - not sure how the fishing is other than Spring - early Summer but in past life it was not uncommon to have 10- 15 Bill fish working your baits at a time , and you would get upset with bull dolphin ( 30# +) that you would catch and kept you off of the billfish - before someone gets upset with me / dolphin + Dorado these days - not "flipper" .

nr65625 - The prices for the charters are very reasonable. DH and SIL will be emailing them with a few questions. How was your catch?? They were thinking about the 4 hour charter for fishing only, but how much time is spent fishing and how much traveling by boat?

Thanks

We booked the 6 hour charter. We were leaving the harbor at 9:00 and returned around 3:00.

They started preparing the lines (which took about 30 minutes, maybe 45) as soon as we left the harbor. We fished from that point on. They brought in the lines about l0 minutes before we docked. So we fished a good 5 hours. They had 5 lines in the water at all times.

All 4 of us caught a total of 9 fish; 5 Baracudda 3 Tuna, and 1 Wahoo.

We plan on using them next April again.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Linda

Linda - Thanks for the info. I assume they supply bait/lures and poles. There will just be two going, and the boat will accept 4, so do they let anyone else pay and use the other two spots (strangers), or is the boat totally for the ones that chartered it? May be a dumb question:o but I want to be sure what we're paying for.

Also, is the price as quoted, or are there other expenses or fees? Did you use a taxi to get there?

Thanks again Dawn

never mind. i think they used CCL's deep sea excursion.

The boat is chartered for 4 people. The price is the same for 1 person or for 4. The boat will be chartered to you. I read on cruise critic where someone posted for 2 more people to go with them. They rounded up another couple that was even on a different ship. Just met at the pier and split expenses.

If you pay in advance they will give you a l0% discount. This is what we did and it worked out very well.

The price is all inclusive - includes bait/lures/and poles. With the 6 hour trip they supply a lunch, and all drinks. They had beer, soft drinks, and bottled water, which was included in the price. I think the drinks are also supplied for the 4 hour trip.

We tipped them l0% of the charter fee, which I read somewhere was customary. We wonder if we tipped them enough. They really work hard for you. They were as thrilled when we caught a fish as we were. They would change bait and lures when the fish were not biting.

We caught a taxi and going it cost us $l0.00 for the four of us and coming back it was $9.00 for the four of us.

If you should book, they will give you instructions to tell the taxi driver where to take you right where the boat is docked at the marina. It is about a l0 minute (at most) ride. (Too far to walk).

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Linda

Linda - Thanks so much for all the info! You answered every question I would have asked. DH and SIL were thinking about the 4 hr excursion, but they are so reasonable, they decided to go with the 6 hr :p I live fishing too, but figured that would be a good "guys" day.

DD and two granddaughters and I have decided to rent a car and hit differant beaches to snorkle and relax:)

Too bad they can't eat some of those fish:rolleyes: Oh well - have to wait and fish in Maine for that. No Mahi Mahi or Tuna there though:( You gave us such great info - any suggestions for the girls......best beaches for snorkeling and things not to miss??

Archived