Epic 24 may Cruise Day 4 Civitavecchia/Rome

trfccruiser

A mixed day it would be fair to say,not Epic’s fault.Early start so we grabbed something for the outdoor part of the buffet but most standard breakfast options on offer.

We then got on free shuttle bus which takes you just out of the port.Previously,that was it and if you were going to the train station to get to Rome (we were) you had to walk or try to get a taxi.Now there is a drop off point where right next door you can pay 0.80 Euro to get a shuttle to the station.this we did and caught the train which took about an hour.Double decker trains seem a little strange but the views are better!

We got off the train at the St Pietro stop to save ploughing into the Termini which takes another 20 minutes.However,we had failed to realise that Wednesday St Peter’s is shut until 1 pm for the Pope Audience.So we faffed around a bit and decided to have an early lunch a really nice Pizza in a café near St Peter’s.

We decided to jump a taxi to the Colosseum for the picture opportunity.It’s about 10 years since I’ve been to Rome and remember being hassled by mock gladiators for expensive photos,but this time it was a mixture of beggars,private tour “touts” and selfie stick sellers,every few yards,it became really annoying.

I even witnessed the bizarre sight of a selfie stick seller trying to sell one to a man who was using a selfie stick at the time!

I wouldn’t want 1 but I certainly wouldn’t want 2!

We then went to see the Victor Emmanuel monument and had a look inside there is a free military museum inside.

Up until then it had been quite hot but it clouded over and a thunderstorm hit just as we were planning to go on elsewhere.we decided to catch a bus to the station and witnessed the enterprising selfie stick sellers suddenly selling umbrellas!

We got on the bus but so did the whole of Rome and the driver kept letting people on when it was clearly too packed.I’ve been on some packed buses before but this took the biscuit,we literally couldn’t move.

We caught the train back and both ways used the automatic ticket machines as the ticket queues were large and there is an English instructions option.

Remembered to frank the tickets using the funny little green machines on the platform but some people ignore this,big fines I understand if you don’t though our tickets weren’t checked in either direction.

Arriving back in Civitavecchia we thought about getting a taxi but all the taxis were minibus type for 6 charging a minimum of 20 euros.So we decided to get the bus back but were told we needed tickets after finding the bus could not be bought on board.These are for sale in the café of the station so my top tip would be buy them first to save walking back to the station again after finding the bus!

Once back on board we went to the Ice Bar which we’d booked the night before.I’d been on the Getaway one before but still loved it and for Rachel & Liz it was their first time and they both loved it,Rachel especially loved taking photos of the Ice Scuplture.The barman mentioned it is being remodelled during the refit.

He was really friendly but the guy who booked us in was a bit dour.As we were going in some people were rushing out as they couldn’t stand the cold and gave us their drinks vouchers (you get 2 each).The bloke said we couldn’t have them as they were not transferable and dis it without any warmth (teehee).Mind you probably just as well as the vodka based cocktails were very strong and we felt a bit tiddly coming out,much to Rachel’s disapproval.

The bar wasn’t busy only 9 of us in our half hour slot and 3 only stayed about 10 minutes.

We then went to Taste the other “free” restaurant.I’ve seen a lot of coverage that Manhattan is nicer surroundings but slow service but the service was slower in taste in our experience.not that slow,but noticeably more slow than Manhattan.

I had Mozzarella sticks (again much better than O’Sheehan’s version),Steak with backet jacket and the most fantastic crispy fried onions.the steak was melt in your mouth too.I then had pound cake

With snickerdoodle ice cream which was also excellent.we washed this down with a bottle of Sangovese ($30) which kept the slightly tiddly theme going and so we toddled off to bed.

IMGP1972_zpsqd0ymkgi.jpg

Colosseum-amazed there are no selfie stick sellers in this shot!

IMGP1977_zpsclrrjifd.jpg

Victor Emmanuel monument

IMGP1978_zpsp3as2gjb.jpg

Inside Victor Emmanuel monument

IMGP1992_zps0xgc6dqy.jpg

Rcahel in Ice bar

IMGP1995_zpsu5k91vsd.jpg

That drink looks radioactive and they were strong!

IMGP2000_zpsllvrldip.jpg

Now that's what I call a steak!

Edited by philhar

Thank you for your reviews. You have provided information that will be helpful if we do this same cruise next May.

Our last time in Rome was well before the invention of the selfie stick, but I sure do remember the umbrella vendors. Of all the places we've traveled, Rome is my wife's favorite. I might be inclined to stay on the ship at this port, but no way she'd let me.

I like your pictures. The steak has me drooling (it's lunchtime over here) and it's the first I've seen of the ice bar. I'm glad you only get in for 30 minutes. I'm naturally cold-blooded and can handle no more than 30 minutes. My wife wouldn't come out of there in 7 days if they didn't evict her. Nice to see that they will.

Just to clarify about the bus that takes you to the train station. On the way there you were able to purchase the tickets on the bus and on the return they needed to be purchased in the store before boarding the bus. If this is not correct where did you purchase the tickets the first time when you were headed to the train station? Is there any way to purchase return tickets?

Thanks.

Rochelle

Just to clarify about the bus that takes you to the train station. On the way there you were able to purchase the tickets on the bus and on the return they needed to be purchased in the store before boarding the bus. If this is not correct where did you purchase the tickets the first time when you were headed to the train station? Is there any way to purchase return tickets?

Thanks.

Rochelle

Hi Rochelle,on the way there was a little office by where the bus dropped off and the new one picked up.I didn't check if you could buy returns but I didn't see anyone with returns.Yes on the way back you purchase them in the cafe/shop inside the station

Thank you for your reviews. You have provided information that will be helpful if we do this same cruise next May.

Our last time in Rome was well before the invention of the selfie stick, but I sure do remember the umbrella vendors. Of all the places we've traveled, Rome is my wife's favorite. I might be inclined to stay on the ship at this port, but no way she'd let me.

I like your pictures. The steak has me drooling (it's lunchtime over here) and it's the first I've seen of the ice bar. I'm glad you only get in for 30 minutes. I'm naturally cold-blooded and can handle no more than 30 minutes. My wife wouldn't come out of there in 7 days if they didn't evict her. Nice to see that they will.

Hi BamaVol, thanks for your comments.That steak was every bit as good as it looks!