one and half days KAUAI

sunsetme

ok i've done the search--its useless.

with a rental car i want to see waimea, poipu and go to the luau (drive there to save time returning to the ship,etc). going in december the north shore will probably be bery rainy--so its a maybe. How shall I schedule my time?

thanks

• Administrators

with a rental car i want to see waimea, poipu and go to the luau (drive there to save time returning to the ship,etc). going in december the north shore will probably be bery rainy--so its a maybe. How shall I schedule my time?

thanks

The North Shore of Kauai should be spectacular -- for viewing. Not so much for swimming/snorkeling in December, if that's your priority and you aren't a local. There have been some very sad reports of drownings/deaths there in winter months with high surf, particularly Ke'e Beach.

If all you want to do is rent a car and visit Waimea, swim at Poipu, then head to Kilohana for the luau (via rental car instead of on the ship shuttle -- I assume that's what you mean by "the" luau? The Luau Kalamaku?) -- you should be able to do all of that on day one in Kauai via car rental. On day 2 in Kauai you could return the rental car, then shuttle back to the ship and pop next door to Nawiliwili and hang at Kalapaki Beach (a very protected beach in front of the Marriott) and dine at Duke's nearby on the beach, before returning to the ship or the Napali sailby? I hope this is what you had in mind for advice -- I couldn't tell if you wanted to visit the North Shore, with or without beaching, but the thought of "rain" made you hesitate and you hadn't realized about north shore surf conditions in Hawaii winters, or if you were asking a different question.

I'm sorry the "search" feature didn't help. I think if you tried a search in the last six months here for "Kauai Waimea" you would find a lot of threads with good ideas I haven't mentioned.

On the second day you can drive out to the North Shore, at least to the Hanalei lookout, about 1-1.5 hour drive from Nawiliwili. It's one of the most breath-taking views in Hawaii. If the one-lane bridge to Hanalei is open, you can drive down to the valley. Drive to the north side is beautiful, quite different from East and South side.

There are two northern beaches that are safe in winter - Anini for snorkeling(not much) and Kalihiwai for boogy boarding, both in Kilauea. Don't even think about swimming in anywhere else in the north, but I don't think you'll have time on the second day anyway. North side, to me, is the essence of Kauai. Do the drive if you possibly can.

Slightly OT, but how did you search? What did you search for exactly? I agree that the regular "plain" search is pretty much the pits because it searches far too broadly and all the way back in time. You need to use the advanced search for this forum only, be very specific in your search terms (such as "kauai north shore" or "kauai beach" or "waimea canyon" or "kauai X" where X equals a specific type of thing you are interested in doing/seeing), and only go back a few months to start. The question of "what should I do" is far too broad to answer, at least for me. There are so many choices and so many depend on your specific preferences and requirements. The bottom line is that we can only suggest or give our experiences. We cannot tell you how to schedule your day, partly because that's something only you can decide and partly because you'll need to be somewhat flexible (as you've already figured out, I think) as you won't know what the weather or seas will be like until you are actually there.

Yes, it can be rainy at any time of the year. It rains every day in Hawaii (just not usually all day and not usually all over the islands). We were on Kauai in December two times. First time, a big Kona storm had hit the days before, so we didn't have much water time. We snorkeled only a couple of days (south shore, of course, because it was winter), but had perfect weather at the canyon. Second time (last year), we had a bit of rain overnight and some showers in the afternoon, but took a fabulous drive up to Ke'e, walked along the beach, watched the huge waves, and had a delightful picnic. One February, it was clear and super warm both days we were there. You just never know. I guess what I'm saying is that it might be very rainy, but I wouldn't say that it probably will.

I understand how frustrating the plain search can be--It almost always resulted in "the white screen of doom" for me! That's why I switched to advanced search only and very specific searches.

beachchick

thanks

I'm assuming you are cruising so you will have stops at other islands???? You could opt to do a luau in Maui instead. North shore in Kauai was pretty awesome and we stopped at waterfalls along the way that weren't far off the path. Lydgate beach park has lagoons for swimming that are enclosed with rock so if the shores are rough, you can still swim and snorkel in there. Lots of fun for me & DH. Water was shoulder deep and we could see the sandy bottom with lots of blue fish. Pretty cool. Wish I had snorkel gear with me would have been even better. But I could still see them from above. Then we drove as far north as you could go to Ke'e beach and you could see the start of the Napali coastline.

I'm not saying you shouldn't go the other direction cuz I haven't been there but letting you know that going north isn't such a bad idea either.

Archived