Kauai - One Day

txn_crzn

We are getting a rental car and want to experience Kauai but can't decide what to do or where to go. DH wants to drive north but I have read on other boards about traffic coming back. We're booked to go to the Kalamaku luau so we'll probably have to start heading back to return the car rental around 2 or 3 so that we'll have enough time to get back to the ship to leave for the luau. So that leaves us about 6 to 7 hours to explore.

What would you do with one day in Kauai?

TIA

My personal opinion is go North and just start heading back when the time comes. Traffic can be bad anywhere. The only place we had trouble with traffic was caused by a car accident and it didn't slow us down much. Way north you run into a bunch of one-way bridges where you have to wait your turn but not real bad but something to take into account. If you got off the ship early, got your rental car and were on the road by 9, I don't think you would have any issues with getting to go all the way to the Ke'e beach as far north as the road goes. But it depends on if you want to stop at every spot along the way. You would need to have in mind what sights you want to see. My DH & I got our rental car and messed around in Lihue trying to drop off film for 1 hour developing so we didn't get on the road til about 10:30 or so. We went to Lydgate Park and swam in their lagoon which was neat. We stopped to eat at fast food and just kept driving til we got to Ke'e beach. We stayed there for about an hour then started heading back. We only stopped at one other beach for a few minutes and didn't swim there. We went to Wailua Falls & O'paekaa falls(spelling?) and got back to the ship before 5.

Now I'm just giving you my opinion cuz thats where I went. I've heard Waimea canyon is awesome but I didn't go that direction so I can't say how long it would take so hopefully others can post their experiences too.

We picked up the car in the morning and went to Waimea Canyon and spent the day there- we went to all the lookouts and even did a bit of walking. If you go out to the last lookout you get to see a bit of the NaPali coast which is one of the attractions of the North Shore. We had lunch in the nice place at the KoKee state park. Then we drove ourselves to the luau (we had been given the ticket, just not a seat assignment), had wonderful time there and then drove the car back to the rental and they brought us back to the ship. We were told we would get a seat assignment when we got there and sure enough we had a great table on a raised platform with a wonderful view. We brought change of clothes but we didn't actually change.

• Administrators
We are getting a rental car and want to experience Kauai but can't decide what to do or where to go. DH wants to drive north but I have read on other boards about traffic coming back. We're booked to go to the Kalamaku luau so we'll probably have to start heading back to return the car rental around 2 or 3 so that we'll have enough time to get back to the ship to leave for the luau. So that leaves us about 6 to 7 hours to explore.

What would you do with one day in Kauai?

TIA

Tough question! :) Given your time constraints, and that you want to do Luau Kalamaku, I would get a rental car as early as possible and head to Waimea Canyon (search posts here by looking for "waimea canyon" as your search term -- tons of good advice about driving up there, visiting Kokee, etc). Then I'd hit Poipu Beach on the South shore, and maybe visit Spouting Horn, before heading back to the ship. I say that even though we took our rental car on a full-day sightsee/beach trip to the north shore -- we had TWO days and used the second for a tour visiting the south shore and Waimea. Of the two options, if it was an either/or, I'd opt for Waimea and the south shore. Whatever you don't get to see is your excuse to come back! :p

One excellent resource to help you plan is http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/byotg.htm. Excellent information there on specific places to stop, mileage to the tenth of a mile, drive times, etc.

If I had one day, I would probably head straight west to the Canyon first thing. Drive to the very, very top of the the canyon first (tempting as it is, don't stop to look on the way up.) You'll know you're at the end when the road dead ends. The reasoning is the Kalalau Valley will usually cloud up later in the day and it is one of the most breathtaking views on the island.

On your way down I'd stop at the Waimea Canyon Lookout. It is marked well. You can stop other places too but this one, coupled with the lookout at the very top, gives you a good feel of the place with minimal time wasted stopping the car.

Coming back, I'd swing by Poipu. Check out Spouting Horn, and perhaps Poipu or Shipwreck Beach. Shipwrecks is nice because you can take a real short walk to the top of a cliff and have a great view. Many people jump off the cliff (but not me!)

Oh, also, if you have time, stop by Kipu Falls on the way back to the ship, and also check out the Menehune Fish Pond overlook.

No locations on Kauai will have lockers for your things. Keep your stuff close by- no major problems with crime here but you don't want to give anyone an opportunity to make you a victim! Have a great trip!

The helicopter will just still your heart and make you fall in love with Kauai. You can still have your car to roam around more too. Waimea Canyon is very impressive if it is not too cloudy/rainy that day. Poipu beach is very nice to just hang out too. We had a car (last week on POH) and even though our Luau tickets said 4:45 as the shuttle time that means little because you can shuttle and we did at like 5:15 and told until 5:30. It is a short drive from the port area so no big deal. We did the overnight parking for $10 and took it back that next morning by 10:00. We got up early and did a little more sight seeing before our 1 day return time. 9:30 - 10:00 next day.

We did the same Kauai itinerary as irun5k and heartily recommend it, including going to the end of the road, first, and then meandering back to sea level and its sights. The whole experience surrounding our peek-a-boo look at the NaPali coast took our breath away. The mountaintop was shrouded in a fog, that slowly drew back like a theater curtain. After 5 years, I can close my eyes and feel myself there, looking down at a rainbow that was an umbrella over the ribbon of surf. Unbelieveable! We're going, again, next month; but will go toward Hanalei, expecting great beauty, of course, but don't think anything will equal that first experience.

Archived