Airport transfers

travelbug67

A taxi from the airport to central Athens will cost about 40 or 45 Euros.

The metro is very safe, costs six Euros, and runs every 30 minutes (except midnight until 6 AM, I believe.)

The X95 express bus (which we used last June) costs 3.25 Euros and runs every 15 minutes or so. The last stop is Syntagma Square, where you can walk or catch the metro if you need to go farther.

For the X95 bus, do you buy the ticket on the bus or is there a special place to get it?

There is a small stand on the sidewalk outside of Door 3. Don't be surprised if there is no one there until just before a bus arrives. In theory, you can buy a ticket from the bus driver, but if the kiosk is open, he will send you there.

• 2 weeks later...
A taxi from the airport to central Athens will cost about 40 or 45 Euros.

The metro is very safe, costs six Euros, and runs every 30 minutes (except midnight until 6 AM, I believe.)

The X95 express bus (which we used last June) costs 3.25 Euros and runs every 15 minutes or so. The last stop is Syntagma Square, where you can walk or catch the metro if you need to go farther.

We will be in Athens in September for a cruise, and considering if we should pre-arrange a car pickup, line up for a taxi or just take the X95 Express Bus into the city centre from Athens airport. In London and Paris, I like booking a hotel close to the bus stop and we just take the airport express bus from the airport, avoiding transferring on metro trains with luggage in hand. Is the airport bus in Athens as convenient and comfortable as in London and Paris? For example, is it crowded and would you have to stand? I read elsewhere from this Board that you have to get there early to get a seat and luggage space. Is the line up long too? I would book a hotel near the Syntagma Square busy stop so that we could walk to the hotel.

For the taxi stand, I heard that the line up is very long. Is the taxi metered from the airport and you just pay the fare indicated at the end? Or do you have haggle with the taxi driver at the airport? Other reviews said that at the Piraeus port, the taxi drivers tried to charge tourist unreasonable rates and you need to negotiate.

The pre-arranged car pickup option gives peace of mind but it is also the most expensive (for two of us). If we could manage on our own from the airport, then I would rather save the money to use on the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be in Athens in September for a cruise, and considering if we should pre-arrange a car pickup, line up for a taxi or just take the X95 Express Bus into the city centre from Athens airport. In London and Paris, I like booking a hotel close to the bus stop and we just take the airport express bus from the airport, avoiding transferring on metro trains with luggage in hand. Is the airport bus in Athens as convenient and comfortable as in London and Paris? For example, is it crowded and would you have to stand? I read elsewhere from this Board that you have to get there early to get a seat and luggage space. Is the line up long too? I would book a hotel near the Syntagma Square busy stop so that we could walk to the hotel.

It is true that you have to be at the bus earlier especially this time of year which is considered high season.

For the taxi stand, I heard that the line up is very long. Is the taxi metered from the airport and you just pay the fare indicated at the end? Or do you have haggle with the taxi driver at the airport? Other reviews said that at the Piraeus port, the taxi drivers tried to charge tourist unreasonable rates and you need to negotiate.

The line will be long but the taxis are just outside the arrivals area.

The fare that you should pay is exactly what the meter indicates (plus the toll roads) there is no excuse for negotiation between the client and the taxi driver, in case of such behaviour you should instantly threaten him of calling the Tourist Police (tel.171) and he will change his mind.

The pre-arranged car pickup option gives peace of mind but it is also the most expensive (for two of us). If we could manage on our own from the airport, then I would rather save the money to use on the cruise.

There are lots of companies that could provide you a prearranged transfer from normal taxi till luxury limo.

Archived