Seattle: Olympic Sculpture Park Walking Tour Part I

2003514071.jpg

Begin your walking tour of the Olympic Sculpture Park at the PACCAR Pavilion at Elliott and Broad Streets, about one block from the waterfront, and very near a stop for the Waterfront Streetcar. Inside the Pavilion you can obtain a copy of the Sculpture Park Map and Guide for a suggested $1.00 donation. Having obtained that, step outdoors and let us begin our tour. (Note, too, that if you are so inclined, you can download 20 MP3 guide audios in a zip file here as well as a copy of a park map.

Let us begin our walk at Curve XXIV, just outside the main entrance of the PACCAR Pavilion. This sculpture appears to be nothing more than a rusted fan shape piece of metal, so make sure that you don't overlook or miss it.

After viewing this piece, go back through the Pavilion, past the TASTE Cafe and the gift shop area, to Capula XVI, Capula XVII and the Evolving City Wall Mural. These are indoor sculptures, which you are permitted to touch and interact with, unlike the other sculptures in the park.

After interacting with the above sculptures, head outdoors once again, towards the sculpture named Riviera, which is outside the front door toward the main park proper. The open design permits walking through and around the sculpture without touching it, in order to observe all of the angles and textures.

From here, go down the steps through the Gates Ampitheatre to the bottom, to reach Wake. Wake is the largest sculpture in the OSP complex, consisting of five sets of waves, each with two curved steel constructs. The interior is hollow, and the sculpture was constructed with the aid of computers.

From here, follow the path uphill in the direction of the water, until you reach Sky Landscape. This a black, vertical, totemic sculpture of aluminum, which is three dimensional in nature with abstract curves. The piece looks different from each angle of view.

Upon leaving Sky Landscape, follow the path slightly southward until you reach Perre's Ventaglia III. This is a very shiny stainless and enamel piece, in the shape of four cubes. Its gloss and paint scheme cause it to reflect its surroundings in a very unique way.

From here we will go on to the final piece in part I of our walking tour, Persephone Unbound. This cast bronze sculpture looks very much like a wooden totem pole, and symbolizes the Greek myth of Ceres and Persephone, particularly her annual freedom from the underworld.

This concludes Part I of the Olympic Sculpture Park walking tour. Part II to follow soon

• 1 year later...
2003514071.jpg

Begin your walking tour of the Olympic Sculpture Park at the PACCAR Pavilion at Elliott and Broad Streets, about one block from the waterfront, and very near a stop for the Waterfront Streetcar. Inside the Pavilion you can obtain a copy of the Sculpture Park Map and Guide for a suggested $1.00 donation. Having obtained that, step outdoors and let us begin our tour. (Note, too, that if you are so inclined, you can download 20 MP3 guide audios in a zip file here as well as a copy of a park map.

Let us begin our walk at Curve XXIV, just outside the main entrance of the PACCAR Pavilion. This sculpture appears to be nothing more than a rusted fan shape piece of metal, so make sure that you don't overlook or miss it.

After viewing this piece, go back through the Pavilion, past the TASTE Cafe and the gift shop area, to Capula XVI, Capula XVII and the Evolving City Wall Mural. These are indoor sculptures, which you are permitted to touch and interact with, unlike the other sculptures in the park.

After interacting with the above sculptures, head outdoors once again, towards the sculpture named Riviera, which is outside the front door toward the main park proper. The open design permits walking through and around the sculpture without touching it, in order to observe all of the angles and textures.

From here, go down the steps through the Gates Ampitheatre to the bottom, to reach Wake. Wake is the largest sculpture in the OSP complex, consisting of five sets of waves, each with two curved steel constructs. The interior is hollow, and the sculpture was constructed with the aid of computers.

From here, follow the path uphill in the direction of the water, until you reach Sky Landscape. This a black, vertical, totemic sculpture of aluminum, which is three dimensional in nature with abstract curves. The piece looks different from each angle of view.

Upon leaving Sky Landscape, follow the path slightly southward until you reach Perre's Ventaglia III. This is a very shiny stainless and enamel piece, in the shape of four cubes. Its gloss and paint scheme cause it to reflect its surroundings in a very unique way.

From here we will go on to the final piece in part I of our walking tour, Persephone Unbound. This cast bronze sculpture looks very much like a wooden totem pole, and symbolizes the Greek myth of Ceres and Persephone, particularly her annual freedom from the underworld.

This concludes Part I of the Olympic Sculpture Park walking tour. Part II to follow soon

Karen, where can I find part 2.

Thanks

Thanks Karen, Love the pics.

How much time would you say it would take? Just an estimate of course.

Thanks!!!

Bearing in mind that I stop about every 30 seconds to click the shutter of my camera and the waypoint marker of my GPS, we were done in less than 90 minutes. Probably less for someone just "floating" through.

Archived