Best transportation options orlando to port canaveral

acobruce

Yup - rental cars are a great option. It is a very easy drive from MCO to the port ---- 45 minute straight shot out 528 (the Beachline). It's a toll road and very easy to navigate. If you want to stop at a store on the way, this is the best way to go.

However, if you do not want to drive then check out Cocoa Beach Shuttle. They have received good reports here.

When you rented a car & drove was it very time consuming picking up & dropping off the car? Where did you drop the car? Trying to figure out if to spend the money for an expensive shuttle or try the rental car. We just don't want to spend alot of time with either because our flight gets in @ 11:30 & of course, we want to get to the ship ASAP. Ideas from past experience appreciated.

When you rented a car & drove was it very time consuming picking up & dropping off the car? Where did you drop the car? Trying to figure out if to spend the money for an expensive shuttle or try the rental car. We just don't want to spend alot of time with either because our flight gets in @ 11:30 & of course, we want to get to the ship ASAP. Ideas from past experience appreciated.

I always rent a car from Budget, they have on airport cars you just go to the desk down the way from baggage claim and right out the door to the cars.

I usually get somekind of midsize SUV or sedan for around $64, the toll is I think $1.35 and you can get change. You drop the car off at the Budget place on A1A which is what the highway that you leave the airport on turns into once you get out to the Cape.

They shuttle you to the pier, then have a van at the pier when you get back for the return trip. If you drive less than 75 miles you can pay the 1 time fee for fuel and you don't have to bother with stopping for gas.

Sister and I always fly in a day early and stay at the Best Western. Even with driving around for dinner and breakfast we don't put 75 miles on the car.

If you get to the airport at 11:30, one of you could go rent the car come back to baggage claim with the keys and be on the pier shuttle by 1 ish. A shuttle is going to be more expensive and you may have to wait until the van or bus is full. I think the rental is going to be cheaper and faster

We did have to wait in a bit of a line at the airport to get the car. Probably took about 20-30 minutes to get all checked in and get the keys (we used Avis). It's about a 45 minute drive to Cape Canaveral. We dropped the car at the Avis office in Cape Canaveral and the shuttle was right there. Took about 10 minutes to get to the pier.

When we got off the ship we waited around 20 minutes for the shuttle to take us to get our car at the port Canaveral outlet. Dropping it off at the Orlando airport was effortless. A fellow met us in the parking garage, printed off our receipt with a portable printer and we were on our way in a minute.

• 1 month later...

My husband and I are cruising in Sept, flying into Orlando and leaving from Port Canaveral. Our TA set us up on a shuttle, I believe its Mears, which is popular in Orlando. Apparently there will be someone in the baggage claim area waiting for us and holding up a sign that has our name and the cruise line on it. I forgot how much our TA said it was, but it was fairly reasonable, and no hassle of renting a car! We can sit back, relax, and enjoy the scenery on the way to the port! I have been in the Orlando airport before and saw people holding up these signs...wishing it was me going on that cruise.....guess what...this time it WILL be me!!! :D

We are cruising out of Port Canaveral in May and we booked Cocoa Beach Shuttle to get us to and from the port.

For 2 people it was a total of $58 each way and if you have more people it is cheaper per person. We are flying in the day of the cruise so we didn't want to worry about car rental shuttles and finding the port.

i would reccomend this company, they have great rates and clean cars http://www.portcanaverallimotransportation.com/

Haven't heard of that one, but Cocoa Beach Shuttle is popular.

The cheapest alternative is still driving. And if you want to stop at a store along the way to buy whatever liquids you need then you've got this flexibility.

We've used Mears around Orlando when we used to live up north & visit this area. I believe one of the downsides of the bigger bus shuttles is that you may need to wait for it to fill before you can take off for the ship. And who likes to wait when you know the buffet is waiting for you!! :D

• 10 months later...
Wondering what the best (and cheapest) way to get from orlando airport to port canaveral is? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

When will you be arriving in Orlando, the day of or the day before leaving on your cruise? If the day of, then I might go the route of Mears shuttle or another shuttle service, just remember that they will wait until they have a full bus before leaving. If the day before, I would rent a car. Enjoy a nice drive to the port, it is very easy to get there, have the chance to drive around the Cocoa Beach. Avis and Budget, which we have used both, have a shuttle that will take you to the port. We like to be to the terminal early, and Avis had a shuttle ready to take us at 9am.

Archived