For Those Who Want to Visit Pike Place Market

SeattleCruiselover

For your enjoyment today and/or possible use when visiting our fair city, I give you:

37663946-L.jpg

Difficulty: Easy, except for the climb from the waterfront to 1st Avenue via the Harbor Steps.

Total distance: 1.7 miles

Approximate time: 1 hour

The Walk: Begin in the Market Square, just above the Pike Place Market underground parking garage.

Head east down Western Avenue, toward the visible high rises in central downtown. Walk past the park.

Turn left at Virginia and cross Western Av.

Turn right and walk along the perimeter of the market, obseving all of the vendors' wares along your way. Continue along until you pass under the roof of the market proper, heading toward the displays of flowers and produce.

Once you reach the first of the fish markets, detour down the ramps into the underground shops of the market for a time--the variety is not to be believed.

When you have had your fill of the variety of the underground shops, return to the main level of the market and resume your original course toward the rows of produce stands. Stop to watch the flying fish at Pike Place Fish Market, have your picture taken with Rachel the Piggy Bank, and watch the inevitable street performers for a bit before continuing on.

Enter the south arcade by making a right turn at the sign that says "Economy Market Atrium" near the back entrance of DeLaurenti's. Here you will pass the tanks of the Pike Place brewery. Continue on until you exit at 1st and Union.

Head back up 1st Avenue towards Pike St, passing the Showbox Theater along the way.

When you reach the "Read All About It" newstand, you will cross the street toward the flower market and turn left. Go inside of this annex and see even more shops, with myriad foodstuffs and other products before coming back out and passing by the exterior shops.

When you reach the "first ever" Starbucks, go into the adjoining Soames-Dunn building for additonal exploration.

When you have finished there, turn left at Western and Lenora until you reach the elevators and staircase, where you will go down to waterfront level.

Cross Alaskan Way and turn right to Pier 66/Bell Street Pier, which is the downtown Seattle Cruise Terminal. Here you will find a maritime museum and the Bell Street transient marina. Take the outside elevator up to the observation deck level (though you CANNOT do this on cruise days, as it is closed for security reasons at that time), where you can watch the ferry and maritime traffic in Elliott Bay.

Once finished on the observation level, come back down to street level and walk south along the waterfront. You will pass the Seattle Aquarium (also worth a visit if you have the time) and a lot of renovation/construction that is currently going on in the waterfront area.

At University Street, cross Alaska Way and climb the Harbor Steps (take your time, there are a LOT of steps there) back up to 1st Av, where you will find the Hammering Man sculpture at the Seattle Art Museum.

Turn left and continue back up 1st Av past the Market until you reach Virginia St. Turn left and return to the park where your walk began, and now ends.

How do you know all this stuff? I am so impressed!! :)

I have a question. Today I received in the mail a "Welcome to the Pike Place Market" map with a few details on it. It has 4 fish markets marked on it. Which one is the one where they throw the fish, or do they all do it?

They need to make your mod of this board for all the help you give! JMHO!! :D

It is the Pike Place Fish Market where you will find the flung fish. It is near the main entrance at 1st Av and Pike, near the giant brass piggy bank (Miss Rachel). You will know it is the main entrance, because it is the one with this great big sign over it:

37663102_gYWuZ-S.jpg

And you can almost see the right market in this picture, but there is a bit too much glare.

As a part time TA, I make it my job to know as much as I can about destinations that I'm sending my clients to (much less where I live myself), plus I'm an aspiring travel writer, should I ever be able to retire from nursing (not looking too likely right now but one never knows). Thank you for the compliment, I greatly appreciate it.

Seattlecruiselover, you are terrific. I want to personally thank you for taking the time to answer everyone's questions. What would we do without you???

I have one particular question. We are cruising out of Seattle on May 3 and I want to take fresh flowers on the ship for our suite. Where is the best place to purchase them? So, now that I want to do this, I wonder if security will allow me to take them on the ship? Do you happen to know anything about this?

Anyhow, thank you again for all the time you have given to all of us and for your knowledge.:)

Seattlecruiselover, you are terrific. I want to personally thank you for taking the time to answer everyone's questions. What would we do without you???

I have one particular question. We are cruising out of Seattle on May 3 and I want to take fresh flowers on the ship for our suite. Where is the best place to purchase them? So, now that I want to do this, I wonder if security will allow me to take them on the ship? Do you happen to know anything about this?

Anyhow, thank you again for all the time you have given to all of us and for your knowledge.:)

Yes, you are allowed to take fresh flowers aboard. You don't say which cruise line you are sailing on, so it is difficult for me to say where to get them. If you are leaving on X or NCL, from Pier 66, you can get almost any kind that you want from the Pike Place Market. If you are leaving from Terminal 30 (HAL, RCI, PCL) it is a little more problematic, because it is in the cargo/freight end of the port, and there isn't much in the way of florists around there. Closest is probably in Pioneer Square (about 1.5-2.0 miles away on 1st Av at the corner of 1st and Jackson, on the northeast corner, though I'll be darned if I can remember the name of it right now.....)

You are more than welcome. I/we would like you to come back and visit us again after your short cruise visit. What better way to have that happen than for you to have a good time while you are here?

The elevator that I'm talking about is down by the Market's parking garage on Alaskan Way. From the Marriott you would walk south about 4 blocks to where you will see the entrance to the parking structure. Go into the structure and you will see a sign for the elevator. Take it all the way to the top, then go into the Market proper.

Yes, you are allowed to take fresh flowers aboard. You don't say which cruise line you are sailing on, so it is difficult for me to say where to get them. If you are leaving on X or NCL, from Pier 66, you can get almost any kind that you want from the Pike Place Market. If you are leaving from Terminal 30 (HAL, RCI, PCL) it is a little more problematic, because it is in the cargo/freight end of the port, and there isn't much in the way of florists around there. Closest is probably in Pioneer Square (about 1.5-2.0 miles away on 1st Av at the corner of 1st and Jackson, on the northeast corner, though I'll be darned if I can remember the name of it right now.....)

You are more than welcome. I/we would like you to come back and visit us again after your short cruise visit. What better way to have that happen than for you to have a good time while you are here?

Actually we're on HAL at pier 30. I figured I'd buy them at Pike Market the day before the cruise and keep them in the bathroom sink until we leave for the ship. That's the redneck way of doing things when you don't have a vase. LOL

Thank you so much for all of your help.

I woudl love to be a patient at your place of employment.

The care you give us says alot for the care you give your patients.

Seattle would lose if you stopped nursing not many people have as much patience as you do.

All the information you have given me makes it extremely hard to wait for May, and you make it so I am not sure if I am more excited for the cruise or for Seattle.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I woudl love to be a patient at your place of employment.

The care you give us says alot for the care you give your patients.

Seattle would lose if you stopped nursing not many people have as much patience as you do.

All the information you have given me makes it extremely hard to wait for May, and you make it so I am not sure if I am more excited for the cruise or for Seattle.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I'm honored that you would say that. At my age, it gets harder to go to work every day, but still gotta do it. :cool:

I hope that you find our city well to your liking, and that you would consider coming back again sometime and staying for more than just a day or two .....;)

SeattleCruiseLover,

You have been very helpful to all of us and I want to express my appreciation also. I do have a couple of questions for you though.

We are staying at the Vintage Park Hotel. I know you gave me info about buying wine and going to the market already, but do you know anything about the hotel restaurant (price wise) or do you know of a reasonably priced restaurant near our hotel that we could use for dinner?

We are all seniors and my dad who is traveling with us is going to be 95 in June, although he's in better shape physically than I am. We would need to take a cab to anyplace not really close to the hotel.

Another question about the Market. We are looking forward to visiting it and if my husband and father go with us, are there places to sit down in the market? My dad tires easily and I think he would enjoy seeing the Market, but if there isn't anywhere for him to sit/rest here and there, perhaps he will not go with us.

Thanks again for your help.

Katie: I have been told that the restaurant in the Vintage Park is good but, since I have never set foot in there myself, I cannot guarantee it. And, being a boutique hotel (I HAVE seen the menu), it is a tad pricey.

It would help me to make a good recommendation for you if you would tell me, briefly, what kinds of food(s) you like and don't like (i.e. straight meat and potatoes American, fusion, nouvelle, Continental, et cetera). We have such an eclectic food community here that you can find pretty much anything you want. I won't tell you about the Mickey D's, Subway, Quizno's and such, because I 'm sure you have plenty of that at home. But, on the other hand, I WILL tell you about one of my favorite places, that looks totally like a biker bar dive on the outside, but that has food to kill for--particularly at breakfast time (but they serve 24/7) if you happen to be into that sort of thing.

As for the Market, you can find places to sit here and there--the coffee bars, the occasional bench along the wall, but they are not every 20 feet or so. I put my mom into a wheelchair when she came here for her last visit before her death two years ago, just so she could see the Market, and she really loved it.

Let me know....

Archived