Area for a third bed, help

Pochahontas

Hello - newbie to here, and to cruising - just booked a 14 day Transatlantic Cruise - Barbados to Southampton - I have booked a balcony stateroom and looking at the virtual cam of the lay out cannot for the life of me work out where they are going to put my son - he is 14 and not small!

Any information would be much appreciated

:) :)

Hello - newbie to here, and to cruising - just booked a 14 day Transatlantic Cruise - Barbados to Southampton - I have booked a balcony stateroom and looking at the virtual cam of the lay out cannot for the life of me work out where they are going to put my son - he is 14 and not small!

Any information would be much appreciated

:) :)

Which ship? Most likely the bed will pull down from the ceiling or from the wall.

Its the Sea Princess - on the virtual veiw it just shows the beds and swings around and I cannot gage where another bed will be put - mind I never thought of looking up at the ceiling - on the room plans it shows no area as well for a third bed - even though on the deck plan it say's that the room can accomodate up to four:rolleyes: to be honest there dosnt look like enough room for four :eek: :eek:

There will be a third bunk style bed that comes out of the wall for your son if the room is a triple. Just check to make sure you didn't book a double or you will end up stuck with a roll away and no floor space. I don't think the virtual tour shows the third and sometimes forth bunk that come out of the wall. That might be why you can't see it.

Its an Oceanview Double with Balcony - Dose this mean we have a roll away bed to contend with! :eek: it dosnt matter - its just nice to know what to expect! I hope they are comfy - I know kids can sleep on alsorts no problem but the whole reason for getting the balcony one was so we had some extra room!

Its an Oceanview Double with Balcony - Dose this mean we have a roll away bed to contend with! :eek: it dosnt matter - its just nice to know what to expect! I hope they are comfy - I know kids can sleep on alsorts no problem but the whole reason for getting the balcony one was so we had some extra room!

If you booked a double with three passengers, the only place for a third person to sleep will be on a roll away. The problem with a roll away in a balcony cabin is that the only place it will fit is directly in front of the balcony door. The only floor space while the roll away is set up will be at the foot of the bed. No access to the balcony unless you climb over the roll away. Any chance you can switch your cabin to a triple? It would make it much more comfortable and afford you more room and access to your balcony in the morning and evening?

Hi Pochahontas, we booked a triple cabin on the Grand Princess for ourselves and our 10 yr old daughter. We were told the bed was a fold down from above which is over one of the twin beds below (ie a bunk). Only problem is that if you have a triple like this, the beds below DO NOT convert to a double, so all of you have to sleep in singles. We are doing 2 back to back cruises (3.5 weeks in total) so have had to convert to a mini suite. Quite a bit more expensive, but for a long cruise it is probably worth it. Your call. Hope that info helps.

If you booked a double with three passengers, the only place for a third person to sleep will be on a roll away. The problem with a roll away in a balcony cabin is that the only place it will fit is directly in front of the balcony door. The only floor space while the roll away is set up will be at the foot of the bed. No access to the balcony unless you climb over the roll away. Any chance you can switch your cabin to a triple? It would make it much more comfortable and afford you more room and access to your balcony in the morning and evening?

Toto is correct, it would be best to try and change your room. I was just in a balcony room and it was beautiful, but I can't imagine having a roll away bed in there.

Hi Pochahontas, we booked a triple cabin on the Grand Princess for ourselves and our 10 yr old daughter. We were told the bed was a fold down from above which is over one of the twin beds below (ie a bunk). Only problem is that if you have a triple like this, the beds below DO NOT convert to a double, so all of you have to sleep in singles. We are doing 2 back to back cruises (3.5 weeks in total) so have had to convert to a mini suite. Quite a bit more expensive, but for a long cruise it is probably worth it. Your call. Hope that info helps.

Thank you all so much for your imput - alas there isnt any more going I just upgraded today - from inside to outside then to balcony :eek: :D Princess were very tollerant of me :o

It was only when I checked the deck plans and there was a black star which denotes the beds cannot be pushed together, it also said can accomodate up to four - I am now wondering if that is why the beds cannot be made into a queen? - I am not fussed with that arrangement - it will give hubby some peace from my nightly kicks :o

when I did ask about the layout for the outside cabin I was told that they were bunks that pulled out from the side walls - now on that virtual film you can see them - But there is no tell tail sign on the balcony ones - also I was told the steward will make sure the beds are out and made up and put away again in the morning! :cool: I can see me booting him/her away and doing it myself - :eek:

If your cabin can accomodate up to 4, you will have the two bunks that come out of the wall and won't have to hassle with the roll away. Even though they say the beds can't be made into a queen, if you really want them that way, just sound pathetic when you ask your room steward and I bet he can do something for you. Just remember, if the beds are in a queen, the one in the bunk will have a hard time getting out of bed without stepping on you below.

Enjoy your cruise.

If they are the bunk beds (we've had them on three different Princess ships...but we always have gotten insides), the cabin steward will bring it down when he or she does the turn down service while you're at dinner. In the morning, when you leave the cabin, the bed is returned to the wall or ceiling. There is a ladder for the upper person to use. A major disadvantage is if you like to fall asleep watching tv as the lower persons' view will be blocked somewhat.

Make sure you give the upper person a small flashlight to use just in case they need to visit the john at night.

Thank you Toto - I have this image of army barracks with a drop down bunk - and that notion of not putting them together sounds about right!

I think I can tollerate my son getting in and out if he is above me - I am not that tall which should give him more than enough space to use my bed to jump up if thats the case! :D :D :D I'll kept your advice in mind when I get there will ask the steward what they can do about making the twins into a double :) :) :)

We are just about to book on the Crown Princess for the fall. We will be booking for 4 in a room (me, DH and 2 DD) in a balcony (probably on Caribe or Baja level). Please clarify, can we get a double/queen bed?? Will the two extra beds both come out of the wall?? Will they be over the main beds?? I can't picture how this will work and want to consider a mini suite if it will be too crowded or my 2 DD will have problems sleeping.

Thanks.

I am going to hope Coral sees this thread and responds. I know that some ships have a terrible set up for quad balcony cabins, like this (follow the link to pics I found on webshots) QUAD

But not sure about these ships exactly. Hopefully she can shed some light on if these pictures are the norm for a quad balcony room or if it is just some of the ships. I know that the picture shows the quad that is very tiny on one of the ships and not sure if it is all the Sun Class or includes the Grand Class.

If they are the bunk beds (we've had them on three different Princess ships...but we always have gotten insides)' date=' the cabin steward will bring it down when he or she does the turn down service while you're at dinner. In the morning, when you leave the cabin, the bed is returned to the wall or ceiling. There is a ladder for the upper person to use. A major disadvantage is if you like to fall asleep watching tv as the lower persons' view will be blocked somewhat.

Make sure you give the upper person a small flashlight to use just in case they need to visit the john at night.[/quote']

Thanks for that tip - I shall be taking my portable DVD player - I fall asleep to my old favorite movies (strange I know!)

Livabeth it sounds like what we call over here in the UK as bunk beds, the split queens have pull down bunks above them, I am only guessing this as I cannot see how else they can get four into a room of that size - if that is the case you should be able to walk around each bunk with out too much problem - having said that and never done it - I am only going on having three of my own children the two oldest who used to have bunks in a rather small room :)

We are just about to book on the Crown Princess for the fall. We will be booking for 4 in a room (me, DH and 2 DD) in a balcony (probably on Caribe or Baja level). Please clarify, can we get a double/queen bed?? Will the two extra beds both come out of the wall?? Will they be over the main beds?? I can't picture how this will work and want to consider a mini suite if it will be too crowded or my 2 DD will have problems sleeping.

Thanks.

If you get the reg balcony then be sure and book on Caribe deck as they are some of the biggest balconies.

If you book a mini then remember Dolphin deck mini balcones are exposed to above and Emerald deck mini's are completeley covered but there are only about 12 on each side of the ship so they book up fast. :)

The minis have a better sleeping arangement with the pullout sofa bed and a drop down bunk. They will not interfere with the reg bed setup.

I am going to hope Coral sees this thread and responds. I know that some ships have a terrible set up for quad balcony cabins, like this (follow the link to pics I found on webshots) QUAD

But not sure about these ships exactly. Hopefully she can shed some light on if these pictures are the norm for a quad balcony room or if it is just some of the ships. I know that the picture shows the quad that is very tiny on one of the ships and not sure if it is all the Sun Class or includes the Grand Class.

If the Sea Princess is as dirty as that one is I shall be demanding my money back and leaving the ship asap! :eek: :eek:

That looks so shabby! Thankfully a friend of ours has been on the Sea Princess and has been in a balcony cabin on the floor above us - I think from seeing the pictures it can be said that - I will not be walking into a dirty cabin :eek: that chair was filthy!:eek:

They suggested I ask in here to see if anyone had seen the lay out for a third bunk because its only the two of them that cruise so have no experiance of bunks or rollerway beds.

I hate to really alarm you, but I remember reading a post about the terrible configuration of the quad balcony cabins on the Sun class ships (including the Sea Princess). Someone who has posted regularly (sorry, but I cannot remember the poster's name) had one once and was not at all happy. Apparently there is only one twin bed that converts into a sofa during the day for seating, and all of the other beds fold out from the wall. I believe there is no way to convert to queen bed since the beds are affixed to the walls. I remember the pictures she posted were similar to the one that Toto found. Perhaps she will see this thread and share her experience.

Minisuites on the Sea Princess are expensive, but very roomy and would be perfect for your situation. Your son would sleep on the fold out couch in the living room and (at least in the AC minisuites on the sides of the ship) there is a curtain to divide the bedroom from the living room.

I hate to really alarm you, but I remember reading a post about the terrible configuration of the quad balcony cabins on the Sun class ships (including the Sea Princess). Someone who has posted regularly (sorry, but I cannot remember the poster's name) had one once and was not at all happy. Apparently there is only one twin bed that converts into a sofa during the day for seating, and all of the other beds fold out from the wall. I believe there is no way to convert to queen bed since the beds are affixed to the walls. I remember the pictures she posted were similar to the one that Toto found. Perhaps she will see this thread and share her experience.

Minisuites on the Sea Princess are expensive, but very roomy and would be perfect for your situation. Your son would sleep on the fold out couch in the living room and (at least in the AC minisuites on the sides of the ship) there is a curtain to divide the bedroom from the living room.

Cathy, I remember that post. The link to the picture I posted is of a quad cabin like the one you described. Long and skinny stateroom with four bunk type beds only that can not be pushed together, but one makes into a sofa during the day. I think it was Coral that has had that room before or someone she was sailing with did. Hopefully she will see this and respond with some first hand knowledge. But I agree, if that is what the quads are like (link in my previous post to the picture I found on webshots), there wasn't even any storage for luggage in that stateroom, let along any space.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that we are both wrong here. :(

The pictures the above poster is referring to are my husbands and my pictures. Yes, I guess they will alarm you. The triple/quad configurations on the Sun/Dawn/Sea Princess are completely different than those on any of the other Princess ships. We sailed on the Sun Princess for 11 days back in 1999 and it almost ended our Princess cruise days. We did go on a one night on the Dawn Princess a year ago and were upgraded to this cabin from an inside. There are 3 of us so we always need a triple cabin. We figured for one night we could live with it. Please look at our pictures on our webshots albu,m,

http://travel.webshots.com/album/554476935BFthsx

This is how all these balcony triple/quad cabins are on the Sun Class ships. The reason it says the bed can not be made into a queen bed is because all the beds fold out of the wall. When we first walked into the cabin on the Sun I truly thought they had put us in a closet and it was a mistake. No, it wasn't a closet just a very small uncomfortable cabin. We could not use the couch type thing in the room for the entire 11 days cruise because we had to put our suitcases on it.

I'm really very sorry you will be in this cabin. Hopefully the rest of the ship and the cruise can make up for it.

The balcony's on these ships are the same size since they are cut out of the hull. The Sun class ships can not be compared to the Grand Class or the other ships in the fleet. They are different.

Believe me, if someone has not had this cabin on these ships, they have no idea what they are like. We have cruised Princess many times from this cabin up to the Grand Suite, so I'm not a newbie at this. The only way I could go back to this ship is if I had a suite since the cabins are very small for 3 people.

Again, please look at the pictures.

Hulagirl

While this is helpful information to the person booking the Crown, it's not applicable to the OP who booked on the Sea Princess, which is a completely different ship and cabin configurations.

For the OP -- you're paying 3rd and 4th person rates for your 2 DD; perhaps you could consider an inside cabin nearby that isn't too much more than the 3rd and 4th person rates? Just trying to think of alternatives here.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Hulagirl - I am surprised you continued with your cruise - did you not ask for your money back?????

appalling - I have spent a fair penny on mine and expect a decent layout to accommodate us, and expect clean furniture! Eeeeeeeeeeeeee I am so sorry you had to stay there!

I thought I would point out that ours is a double - and not classed as a triple or Quad, it infers that it can accommodate up to four! - and If I walk in and find the configuration deviates from that of these pictures - I will be walking off catching the first flight home and putting in a claim for my money back!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: Hulagirl - I am surprised you continued with your cruise - did you not ask for your money back?????

appalling - I have spent a fair penny on mine and expect a decent layout to accommodate us, and expect clean furniture! Eeeeeeeeeeeeee I am so sorry you had to stay there!

I thought I would point out that ours is a double - and not classed as a triple or Quad, it infers that it can accommodate up to four! - and If I walk in and find the configuration deviates from that of these pictures - I will be walking off catching the first flight home and putting in a claim for my money back!!!

Perhaps if you tell us the number of your cabin, we can tell from some of the sites we use to look up deck plans if it indeed is a double, triple or quad? That might help to figure out the cabin configuration.

I took a quick look at the deck plans and all I can find is four quad balcony cabins on the Sea Princess. A730-A732-A735-A737 and B730-B732-B735-B737 If they make those deck plans any smaller, we aren't going to be able to see anything on the actual cabin symbols. ARGH!

Cause, I hate to tell you this, but if you don't like the layout or the condition of the cabin, they will not give you your money back. Sorry!

Unfortunately, all balcony cabins are classified as oceanview double with balcony, then may have the further designation of being able to accomodate a third or fourth passenger. I hope for your sake you do not get a room like Hulagirl had, but I have never seen posts from those who have had a fold down bunk over the beds in a balcony cabin on a Sun class ship. Also, since the balcony cabins on the Sea Princess are much smaller than those on a Grand class ship (179 s.f. including balcony as compared to 214 s.f. or more on the Grand class ships) I'm not sure they have room for a rollaway bed.

Perhaps you could somehow contact the Passenger Services Director on the Sea Princess and ask about the configuration of your specific cabin.

Archived