Sydney NS, on our own...

We're looking at doing the Louisburg fort in Sydney, and perhaps the Sydney Mines. Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to do these on our own, or perhaps recommendations for private tours? TIA

When you get off the boat, there will be a bunch of cabs lined up outside the cruise terminal, looking to take people on day tours. There seems to be an official printed list of places to go and fares, or perhaps it just relates to one cab company. Even if you miss getting a cab in the first rush of people disembarking, others will show up from to time.

Incidentally, if you like historic houses, 18th century Cossit House and Joost house are walkable from the Cruise Terminal, and practically across the street from each other. Of the two, Cossit House (http://museum.gov.ns.ca/ch/) is better restored, Joost House (http://fortress.uccb.ns.ca/historic/jost.html) is quirkier.

1. You can go to the roll call for your cruise and see if others are looking to do something similar.

2. You can hire a cab on the spot as mentioned above.

3. You can arrange to rent a car which woulb be the least expensive and most flexible option.

Louisbourg may be of enough interest to you that you will want to spend the day there. I hope you are going before Oct. 15 because it is not fully open after that. The miner's museum (which is in Glace Bay) is very interesting as well but Louisbourg should come first.

Here are some previous posts that may be of some help:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1013847&highlight=car+rent+sydney

[/url]

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=23601691&highlight=car+rent+sydney#post23601691

Thanks for your help! Yes, we are planning on spending an entire day at Lousiburg. We're actually hitting Sydney twice, as we're doing BTB cruises.

We're already a party of 4 (with 2 kids) and others don't seem interested in sharing with us, which is understandable.

I like the idea of a cab, but what does that cost? Any ideas? I also like the idea of a car rental, but how much of a hassle is it getting to.from the cruise terminal to the car rental place? It didn't look like it was close.

Thanks for the links!

Thanks for your help! Yes, we are planning on spending an entire day at Lousiburg. We're actually hitting Sydney twice, as we're doing BTB cruises.

We're already a party of 4 (with 2 kids) and others don't seem interested in sharing with us, which is understandable.

I like the idea of a cab, but what does that cost? Any ideas? I also like the idea of a car rental, but how much of a hassle is it getting to.from the cruise terminal to the car rental place? It didn't look like it was close.

Thanks for the links!

We (two couples) took a cab tour to the Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck for, if I recall correctly, $65 for about 5 hours. I don't know how that distance compares to Louisburg. We had originally planned to rent a car with Enterprise, who would have picked us up at the port, but they were unable to provide a vehicle on that day due to overdue returns. There is another car rental place about two blocks from the cruise terminal, in a hotel, sorry can't recall brand or hotel name.

• 5 months later...
we (two couples) took a cab tour to the alexander graham bell museum in baddeck for, if i recall correctly, $65 for about 5 hours. I don't know how that distance compares to louisburg. We had originally planned to rent a car with enterprise, who would have picked us up at the port, but they were unable to provide a vehicle on that day due to overdue returns. There is another car rental place about two blocks from the cruise terminal, in a hotel, sorry can't recall brand or hotel name.

was that $65 each, $65 per couple or $65 for the cab - and round trip or each way?

Archived