Helicopter Tour to Montserrat

fla-red

Looking forward to see any reviews you get with your post. Our plans for January are to do this excursion as well while on the Serenade of the Seas Never been close to an active volcano. On our last cruise we did a helicopter tour of St Thomas and St Johns' and it was amazing !! So this excursion hopefully is even better !!

Looks promising from the responses on this post : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=318484&highlight=helicopter

This will be the best excursion you will ever do. It's expensive but well worth the money. Bring a video camera and sit up front the view is spectacular. The guide was extremely informative and took his time.

You will love it

• 3 weeks later...
This will be the best excursion you will ever do. It's expensive but well worth the money. Bring a video camera and sit up front the view is spectacular. The guide was extremely informative and took his time.

You will love it

I agree 100% with alexeliz! This once in a lifetime experience is worth every penny!

Do you remember what kind of helicopters they fly? DH is into helicpters and always wants this info before he decides on a helicopter tour.

We were in a "Long Ranger", it had large pod things on the feet that inflate upon a water landing emergency (so that it would stay upright, as usually copters immeidatly flip upside down upon water crashes - all passengers are also required to wear belts with self inflating rescue balloons and rescue signals/tracking), and was very clean, modern, and comfy inside. Don't know much else, but we felt very comfortable and secure.The staff from beginning to end was so professional that I could almost feel the way people did in the early days of the commercial airlines (dressing up in your best for the flight and applauding the captain ;) These are the PanAm clippers of our day) Hope this helps!

We have arranged for this tour in the Fall. Where do you meet up with the helicopter?

We tried to arrange a charter flight to Montserrat and a visit to the volcanoe observatory on the ground, but it didn't work out, so I hope this will be every bit as interesting as that might have been. :)

Our ship doesn't offer it, so I emailed the tour operator directly. They got back to me very quickly, accepted our reservation and said they'd reconnect shortly before our trip. It's $220/pp:

http://www.caribbeanhelicopters.net/

helicopters@candw.ag

Another possibility that might work for you is to take Win-Air. Unfortunately, it wouldn't work into our schedule (unless we didn't tour Montserrat, just flew in and went immediately back on the next flight to Antigua.) With taxes, it's about $125/pp, so it's quite a bit cheaper. If that works, you can use a private guide or a taxi to tour the island:

http://www.fly-winair.com/

http://montserratmt.ags.myareaguide.com/detail.html?detailID=90539

• 5 months later...

Just got back from a cruise on the Serenade. We did the Montserrat helicopter tour. It was amazing. The pilots are knowledgeable and manage to get us close to the devastation of the old capital. The volcano still had very large steam vents blowing. It had a small eruption a week before our tour. Although expensive, I recommend the tour if you are looking for something different to see.

Archived