Hotels on Waikiki Beach

crjj

My family and I are taking a week long cruise around the Hawaiian Islands in 2011. We'd like to spend a week at a hotel on Waikiki Beach prior to the cruise. We are looking at either the Hilton Hawaiian Village Resort & Spa or the Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa.

We'd appreciate your recommendations, thoughts or experiences with respect to these two hotels.

Thanks.

crjj

We stayed at the Waikiki Beach Marriott pre-cruise through NCL. It is at the end of Waikiki Beach, near Diamond Head. I liked the location. It was in easy walking distance to Waikiki Beach, Duke's, the Hula Grill (loved it) and other restaurants. There is a shopping area attached to it with an ABC store (or two!). The breakfast buffet was great. We got a discount on it since we were staying at the hotel. The room was nice. I didn't use the pool, but saw it from the balcony. It looked nice and wasn't crowded.

If you are beach people, stay at the HHV.. The Marriott is very nice, but across from a busy beach. I stayed at the Hyatt, but never went to the beach too crowded. When we stayed at the HHV, the beach was very quiet and it has the largest pool on Oahu. Kids will enjoy it.

HHV is huge. It is a city within its self. I find the HHV to be too far from Central Waikiki in my opinion. It is a beautiful hotel though. The Marriott would be closer to Central Waikiki, International Market place and lots of restaurants.

I would advise you to go to Tripadvisor.com and check out the reviews on both hotels.

I agree with Umbarger. I am staying at Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach for 3 night pre-cruise and HHV 1 night post cruise. Even though HHV sounds amazing, it seems very far from Central Waikiki so that's why were staying at Outrigger for the longer portioner.

We just stayed at Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach and thought it was great. I had a free night I could use, so was a relative bargain, too!

Some pictures on this page:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalSpirit/Hawaii/Honolulu/index2a.htm

and a lot more scattered throughout the Honolulu pages here:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalSpirit/Hawaii/index.htm

We just stayed at Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach and thought it was great. I had a free night I could use, so was a relative bargain, too!

Some pictures on this page:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalSpirit/Hawaii/Honolulu/index2a.htm

and a lot more scattered throughout the Honolulu pages here:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalSpirit/Hawaii/index.htm

Thanks for sharing your photos! Gives me a better idea of what to expect when we stay there!

We stayed 3 days pre-curise at the Embassy Suites. REALLY nice, but too far from central Waikiki. Post-cruise we stayed at the Marriott and thought it was a great location. Not quite as nice a property as Embassy, but by bidding through Priceline got it for a really good price/night. For a Waikiki beach view balcony w/king bed we made a successful bid of $87/night.

Also, if you're planning on renting a car and seeing Oahu, both the Marriott and HHv have rental car offices on premises, but thier rates are extremely high. It's convienent but expensive! Try elsewhere!! If you are renting a car, TAKE a GPS from home with you. Our first day, we took a Roberts around-the-island tour by bus and marked all the places we wanted to return to on our own on our GPS. Worked great!

Have fun planning your vacation!!

We just got back a week ago and stayed 2 nights before the cruise and 1 night after the cruise at Hilton Hawaiian Village. We stayed in the Ali'i Tower and loved it. Both times they upgraded our room. There is so much to do at HHV and lots of shopping and restaurants within walking distance.

We just got back a week ago and stayed 2 nights before the cruise and 1 night after the cruise at Hilton Hawaiian Village. We stayed in the Ali'i Tower and loved it. Both times they upgraded our room. There is so much to do at HHV and lots of shopping and restaurants within walking distance.

Glad to hear you loved the Ali'i Tower! We're staying there 1 night post-cruise. Any tips/secrets you want to share?

Archived