Where to eat Dinner in Cozumel?

5-to-cruise

We'll be in Cozumel in November off the Liberty on Thanksgiving week. Its a long stay of 8 am until 10 pm so plenty of time. We're planning on going to Paradise Beach and hanging out there for the day.

Being in Mexico I think we should eat at a Mexican restaurant for dinner. There will be at least 5 of us... 3 kids (13, 10 and 9). Might be as many as 15 if everyone meets us later.

I'd like to avoid a place like Margaretaville for something more authentic but with the kids don't want to get too crazy.

We have any options?

Thanks,

rv

Try La Choza. It's on Ave 10 catty corner to the main Plaza.

Very authentic home style Mexican/Yucatan cooking. The old open air one burned down a year or so ago, but the new one has a very nice atomsphere with Mayan masks and skylight. Ask for the specials. if you don't they won't tell you. Also Casa Denis a couple of blocks away. it's one of the oldest places and you can sit outside and people watch while you eat. Great Food. For some classic Yucatan cusine, if it's still around, you can go to El Turix--been awhile since I was there--they have excellent conchinita pibil, pork slow cooked in banana leaves, tamles with ground pumpkinseed and a coconut pie that's not to be missed. it's a ways away from the tourist area over on Calle 17 and Ave 20 by the church. I hear good things about Kinta, which has classic Mexican cuisine, it's on Ave 5 between Calle 2 and 4. For local seafood, you might try Albinos on Calle 20 vetween Ave 10 and 12.

None of these places are in any way shape or form similar to Senor Frg's or it's corporate sister, Carlos & Charlies, or a holding in Jimmy Buffet's retirement fund. :D

Thank you 5 To Cruise for posting this! I will be there on Sept. 28th for the same amount of time 8AM-10PM. We will be heading to Nachi for the day and plan to head back to ship, shower, and change and head back out for dinner and drinks.

Anyone know of a good place for margaritas made right? ie: no sour mix? ICK! I read of a place on one of the back streets by the piers run by some Americans, can't think of the name off hand but remember reading they were the best and fresh.

Also, thanks for the dining suggestions, I want to eat somewhere fresh and authentic and away from the touristy places.

Thank you 5 To Cruise for posting this! I will be there on Sept. 28th for the same amount of time 8AM-10PM. We will be heading to Nachi for the day and plan to head back to ship, shower, and change and head back out for dinner and drinks.

Anyone know of a good place for margaritas made right? ie: no sour mix? ICK! I read of a place on one of the back streets by the piers run by some Americans, can't think of the name off hand but remember reading they were the best and fresh.

Also, thanks for the dining suggestions, I want to eat somewhere fresh and authentic and away from the touristy places.

Hey sure! I'm glad someone else could use the info.

It just seems wrong to be in Cozumel and NOT eat Mexican food. :)

rv

5-to-Cruise and CruisingStarFish...

Let us know where you wind up and what you thought. Always good to have fresh reports as sometimes things change.

And do hit Wet Wendy's for an awesome margarita or try a paloma.

Have great times wherever you wind up.:)

HA! can never be too prepaired! We booked this trip back in March and I started researching strait away! My bf thinks I'm a crazy! but, hey, I've found some good deals and interesting places that way!

since you are going in Nov and i'll be back Oct 3, I'll be sure to post something about any good places either on that list or ones I happen upon!

Cheers!

Will do!

Right now I'm leaning towards Kinta or La Choza.

I printed off a city map of Cozumel and plotted down all the places you guys mentioned onto the places onto the map. Yeah we're not leaving until late Nov. but you can't be TOO prepared right? :)

rv

Found some picture of Kinta. Christie's List mentioned it was quaint and that's a euphenism for small. May or may not be big enough for your group. But damn the food looks delicious.:) Too bad we're not there that late to eat dinner there.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g150809-d1079782-Kinta-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html#18728492

I suggest going by both and seeing which one can accomodate you. Then pick the one that best suits your mood that day.

If you are a group of 15 as you say is possible then Kinta may be tough. It is not a large place and your group could fill 1/2 or more of the place. It is also one of the places on the island that a reservation is recommended. We were there the first week of May which was Swine Flu Hysteria week. The hotels had at best 20% occupancy and we were almost turned away on a week day at Kinta without a resy, a group of 2.

La Choza is good option, big place with flexible seating, so putting together tables for 15 should be easier.

Have a great time

Rich

Thanks for those pictures crewsweeper! That does look good.

sddiver: Ahhh, good advice. I'll see how things are shaping up on the day of and get a feel for how many people are going. If its just the 5 of us I'll try to make a phone call from Paradise Beach to Kinta's if we are going there. If there are more then the 5 of us we'll just do La Choza's or someplace else.

Good stuff.

rv

If you are wanting to eat at a "place the locals would go for a very nice Island lunch or dinner" you might try a small place not frequented by tourist. It is right on the beach, has really good food at very cheap prices. The staff are very friendly and attentive to tourist (ask to sit upstairs) hoping to get a decent tip ;). Caletita's is located just before the Lighthouse between Paradise Beach and town.

If you want a great meal in a clean place with a great view where the kids can play on the beach right by the tables you might want to try this quaint little restaurant. Here are a couple of pics with a few more pictures of the view from the top floor and a menu from the place in this link http://sports.webshots.com/album/564166934IyATCT?start=56 just click on one of the small thumbnail pictures for a larger view.

This plate of Fish fingers which are fresh caught fish and especially good in my opinion cost about $5.00, the shrimp ceviche is $9.00. Either dish will satisfy a very hungry person.

2927032610091393226S500x500Q85.jpg2446185450091393226S500x500Q85.jpg

Sunset looking towards Playa del Carmen from the upstairs section of Caletita's

2629706220091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

Since we will be on the Island for a week just before you arrive (the week before Thanksgiving 11-15/11-22) we will try to leave some food for your group :D

I've been to Panchos Backyard a few times. Very consistent food, always great service, and it was open air dining with live music. I guess it's a little on the commercial side because it's on the shopping strip.

Now I know it's TOTALLY commercial, but if you haven't at least seen the ceiling mural at the Hard Rock Cafe, you are missing out. I really enjoyed looking at it and taking photos of the memorabelia while enjoying a Coca-Cola. I showed friends photos of the mural and they thought I'd taken them from a scuba diver's perspective in the water.

I've been to Panchos Backyard a few times. Very consistent food, always great service, and it was open air dining with live music. I guess it's a little on the commercial side because it's on the shopping strip.

Beth,

While Pancho's isn't corporate commercial, it does cater primarily to cruisers and other tourists. And I will say that if your hometown only has Chicos (if it's still around) or Taco Bell as Mexican options, PB offers a nice intro to good Mexican food. OPs were looking for something a bit more local oriented.

Diverearl, Nice pics. I'm hungry looking at them:) If you're down that way and don't want to go over to Bob Marley's for conch cerviche, Caletitas looks like an excellent choice. But if you're heading up to San Miguel for shopping and other things, it's a bit out of the way. And given the choice of places in town, may not be worth the extra trip.

If you are wanting to eat at a "place the locals would go for a very nice Island lunch or dinner" you might try a small place not frequented by tourist. It is right on the beach, has really good food at very cheap prices. The staff are very friendly and attentive to tourist (ask to sit upstairs) hoping to get a decent tip ;). Caletita's is located just before the Lighthouse between Paradise Beach and town.

If you want a great meal in a clean place with a great view where the kids can play on the beach right by the tables you might want to try this quaint little restaurant. Here are a couple of pics with a few more pictures of the view from the top floor and a menu from the place in this link

This plate of Fish fingers which are fresh caught fish and especially good in my opinion cost about $5.00, the shrimp ceviche is $9.00. Either dish will satisfy a very hungry person.

[/url]

Sunset looking towards Playa del Carmen from the upstairs section of Caletita's

Since we will be on the Island for a week just before you arrive (the week before Thanksgiving 11-15/11-22) we will try to leave some food for your group :D

Wow, thanks. That does look good. Since we'll be down at Paradise Beach this definatly is an option!

If we go there and they are out of food I'll know who to blame! :)

rv

Yep haha, already printed out that menu and my free marg! woo hoo:D

what is pible style? also I was thinking about getting that Yucatain platter, a little bit of everything

Pibil style wraps the meat in banana leaves for cooking. A little taste of every thing is a good way to go.

5-to-Cruise, I don't think your pic link is working. On photobucket you have to use the html tag option. Should be able to just copy and then use the "insert image" button here(yellow square with mountains and sun under the back "undo" arrow. Can't wait to see it.

Archived