Where do the locals eat? Authentic restaurants

lalanam

We're going to be in Cozumel for a day in February (Ships and Dippers!) and myself and another friend I'm going with are quite the "foodies." I'm actually a food writer and restaurant reviewer, so all the typical places recommended around here aren't my cup of tea. If it's meant for tourists, I don't really want to be there. I want somewhere where the locals eat (I realize these may overlap, but not usually) that don't have cheeseburgers and nachos on the menu. Something I can't get in the states. I can get plenty of decent fajitas and quesadillas anywhere.

For example, last year in Ocho Rios we went to Lobster Dave's and loved the food and experience. We're looking for that same kind of local experience. We're either renting a car or going with Gerry or a cab driver, so location isn't an issue.

Any suggestions? Thanks! And Thanks for putting up with my food snobbiness! ;)

Try googling "Comida Corrida" and then find a local who speaks a little English and ask them where is a good local Loncheria. :)

One I know of, off the top of my head is, Loncheria Dona Bety, on Ave 55, between Calle 3 and Morelos. There are a few others as well, but their name is escaping me.

Casa Denis on the square and soon to be reopened La Choza close to the square, both serve authentic Mexican food. Both are popular with tourists and many locals as well. Personally I would prefer a place that had no menus in English.

My personal favorite would be Sabores on 5th avenue between calles 3 & 5, one block off the waterfront. It started in the kitchen of a house with tables in the garden and one table in the kitchen. You had to walk through the kitchen to reach the garden. Their menu is on a chalk board.

It was purely local originally, but their reputation has grown and have many divers and other tourists as well. Probably none from a cruise ship. Almost no English spoken, but they are accustomed to having non-Spanish speaking diners. Only open in the afternoon for lunch. There would be dozens (hundreds) of authentic places, but many might be too economical to provide a fair sampling of the cuisine. Sabores would be like eating in a home as it is one, but now the living room also has tables. This would be one of the better, but easier to get to restaurants. A wide variety of meals all for around five dollars. No set menu, it is whatever they fix that day, but 10-12 entrees on average.

You could see the food preparation as the kitchen is open. That might be more of an experience.

Jerry20001,

Thank you so much!! I know I didn't pose this question, but I, too, am a chowhound and was hoping for a great place for lunch.

I usually just wander around until I find something, but you just saved me some time. That place sounds perfect!

Casa Denis on the square and soon to be reopened La Choza close to the square, both serve authentic Mexican food. Both are popular with tourists and many locals as well. Personally I would prefer a place that had no menus in English.

My personal favorite would be Sabores on 5th avenue between calles 3 & 5, one block off the waterfront. It started in the kitchen of a house with tables in the garden and one table in the kitchen. You had to walk through the kitchen to reach the garden. Their menu is on a chalk board.

It was purely local originally, but their reputation has grown and have many divers and other tourists as well. Probably none from a cruise ship. Almost no English spoken, but they are accustomed to having non-Spanish speaking diners. Only open in the afternoon for lunch. There would be dozens (hundreds) of authentic places, but many might be too economical to provide a fair sampling of the cuisine. Sabores would be like eating in a home as it is one, but now the living room also has tables. This would be one of the better, but easier to get to restaurants. A wide variety of meals all for around five dollars. No set menu, it is whatever they fix that day, but 10-12 entrees on average.

You could see the food preparation as the kitchen is open. That might be more of an experience.

thanks for the info, I'll definitely put that on my short list. Sounds like a place that might serve comida corrida, which sounds like a great deal and a way to try lots of different things.

We spent a week in Cozumel for three years in a row before the last big storm. We are very excited to be going back for a day in Feburary to see how everything has changed. We will definetly hit Casa Denis for lunch, very good food. One of our favorite dinner spots was Lobster house. A very unique place out past the airport. The only choice you have is the size of your lobster and your beverage. Not very fancy not much lighting but excellent lobster and a fun experience.

• 2 weeks later...

From Christi's list I'd try either:

Las Palmas $

Corner of Calle 3 Sur and Av. 25

Open for lunch from 10:00 to 6:00pm Monday through Saturday, closed on Sunday

Cheap and tasty local eats.

Camilos $$

Av. 5 between Calle 2 and Calle 4 Nte

Open for lunch and dinner from 11:00am to 6:00pm

Seafood tacos and tortas. My favorites are the shrimp tacos or shrimp torta. The mixed ceviche is also extremely good! Everything is very fresh!

El Moro $$$

Av. 75 between Calle 2 and Calle 4 Nte

Open for lunch and dinner from 11:00am to 10:00pm, closed on Thursdays

El Moro is back in the "hood", just tell the taxi driver the name of the restaurant and he or she will get you there Traditional and local Mexican food with a great seafood selection. Consomma de Moro, shrimp on a wire, and Mole Enchiladas are my favorites.

One of my personal favorites is La Conchita del Caribe It is also back in the "hood" so you'd need to take a taxi to get there. Fantastic selection of sea food including very tasty ceviché.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your tips, we'll be in Cozumel next week and hope to check them out. I do have a question, however----can you pay in American dollars or even by credit card, or do you have to pay in pesos??

Thanks for all your tips, we'll be in Cozumel next week and hope to check them out. I do have a question, however----can you pay in American dollars or even by credit card, or do you have to pay in pesos??

You can easily pay in US$. Credit cards aren't as widely accepted. It would be best to ask before you order if you are planning on using plastic.

'Playa Bonita' was great! The prices were ok,,,three of us ate and drank for $35.00US. The view is just awesome, you are directly on the water,,,I mean its right there washing up against the building at high tide! That particular area of the island has no electricity and is ran on generators,,(not loud) Order the chichirones there,,,with the habanero sauce and a Dos Equis!

I would 2nd (or like 5th by this point) La Choza. We've eaten there probably 4 or 5 times and every meal was great. Love the shrimp and their soups. We are former Ships & Dippers (I & III), but couldn't make V. :( Have fun for us!! Cozumel is always a favorite for us.

Archived