Sailing the Dream…Gluten and Allergy Free

UTVolsFan4Life

My DW and I are booked on the Dream for the 2/15/14 sailing. DW and I are currently on a 2+ years journey to find out what is making her so sick. The only thing that we know for sure is that when she removes all gluten from her diet, she feels much better as her most of her symptoms clears up or are reduced. Allergy tests have told us that she is allergic to: Caffeine, Carbonation, Shellfish, Squash, Mustard, Peas, drinking alcohol, and wine. Also, she only eats fish and no other meats.

The staff on the Carnival Ecstasy was really great about assisting her. She had to choose the same dish on the cruise but the chef changed up the curry and vegetables and she really liked the meals. One night there was nothing on either menu that she could have so the chef prepared her a special dish that was not on any of the menus. Going into this cruise she is a little uneasy as we had a bad experience on Royal Caribbean’s Enchantment of the Seas.

For the gluten free cruisers, how do you prepare/handle your vacation? I would love to hear your thoughts and insight on gluten free cruising. If there is anybody that has recently been on the Dream or going on the Dream between now and then could you let me know about the selections. I would love to know the following:

Is there gluten free pasta at the pasta bar?

Can you get a gluten free pizzas or sandwiches?

Is there gluten free bread in the MDR?

I have heard something about gluten free deserts?

Is there any gluten free options at the food places that are only open on sea days?

I am sure that I will have other questions, but that's all I can think of for now.

Thanks!

PS: Please just don't tell me to call Carnival. I have already done that and it's been noted on our booking and I have been given instructions on what to do when we get on board.

My MIL has Celiac and is gluten free, we cruised on the Dream in September.

Is there gluten free pasta at the pasta bar? No, not that we found

Can you get a gluten free pizzas or sandwiches? Yes, she had plenty of pizza and sandwiches :)

Is there gluten free bread in the MDR? The hostess would come by and take her dinner order every night for the next day and yes they brought gluten free bread to her table.

I have heard something about gluten free deserts? Yes, a lot of the desserts can be made gluten free, but again it has to be ordered the night before. She loved the warm chocolate melting cake :)

Is there any gluten free options at the food places that are only open on sea days? Again, when they came to take her daily order she could order breakfast and lunch in the MDR also.

We sailed the magic with my gf son. What the pp said was our experience as well. He had a wonderful time, lots of food choices and never went hungry. I did go to the mdr at opening to make sure our account was noted with the allergy. It was, and the hostess helped us pick out his meal on the first night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My MIL has Celiac and is gluten free, we cruised on the Dream in September.

Is there gluten free pasta at the pasta bar? No, not that we found

Can you get a gluten free pizzas or sandwiches? Yes, she had plenty of pizza and sandwiches :)

Is there gluten free bread in the MDR? The hostess would come by and take her dinner order every night for the next day and yes they brought gluten free bread to her table.

I have heard something about gluten free deserts? Yes, a lot of the desserts can be made gluten free, but again it has to be ordered the night before. She loved the warm chocolate melting cake :)

Is there any gluten free options at the food places that are only open on sea days? Again, when they came to take her daily order she could order breakfast and lunch in the MDR also.

Thanks for the info. My DW loves pizza so she should be just fine. :D

We sailed the magic with my gf son. What the pp said was our experience as well. He had a wonderful time, lots of food choices and never went hungry. I did go to the mdr at opening to make sure our account was noted with the allergy. It was, and the hostess helped us pick out his meal on the first night.

We did this as well on our last Carnival Cruise and we had no problems.

My DW and I are booked on the Dream for the 2/15/14 sailing. DW and I are currently on a 2+ years journey to find out what is making her so sick. The only thing that we know for sure is that when she removes all gluten from her diet, she feels much better as her most of her symptoms clears up or are reduced. Allergy tests have told us that she is allergic to: Caffeine, Carbonation, Shellfish, Squash, Mustard, Peas, drinking alcohol, and wine. Also, she only eats fish and no other meats.

The staff on the Carnival Ecstasy was really great about assisting her. She had to choose the same dish on the cruise but the chef changed up the curry and vegetables and she really liked the meals. One night there was nothing on either menu that she could have so the chef prepared her a special dish that was not on any of the menus. Going into this cruise she is a little uneasy as we had a bad experience on Royal Caribbean’s Enchantment of the Seas.

For the gluten free cruisers, how do you prepare/handle your vacation? I would love to hear your thoughts and insight on gluten free cruising. If there is anybody that has recently been on the Dream or going on the Dream between now and then could you let me know about the selections. I would love to know the following:

Is there any gluten free options at the food places that are only open on sea days?

I am sure that I will have other questions, but that's all I can think of for now.

Thanks!

PS: Please just don't tell me to call Carnival. I have already done that and it's been noted on our booking and I have been given instructions on what to do when we get on board.

First- I'm pretty excited that there is another Vols fan on here :) Second, we are cruising the Carnival Dream for new years and I have carb restrictions and my dd has dairy, peanut, egg, and tree nut allergies so I'll keep you posted on how the staff handles that :) I'm very nervous about it but I've been assured that the chef will make sure she's taken care of! Oddly- because of the allergies she has been exposed to a lot of different foods and sushi happens to be one of her favorites (she's 3). I was told they have a sushi bar on the ship so I'm looking forward to that!!:)

First- I'm pretty excited that there is another Vols fan on here :) Second, we are cruising the Carnival Dream for new years and I have carb restrictions and my dd has dairy, peanut, egg, and tree nut allergies so I'll keep you posted on how the staff handles that :) I'm very nervous about it but I've been assured that the chef will make sure she's taken care of! Oddly- because of the allergies she has been exposed to a lot of different foods and sushi happens to be one of her favorites (she's 3). I was told they have a sushi bar on the ship so I'm looking forward to that!!:)

There is plenty of Vols fans around here. I had a family of Vols fans on my last roll call. Then what do you know, we were walking the streets of Nassau and found another Vols family who I happy assisted with with directions. :)

Is this your first cruise? If so, get ready to be addicted. I am sure that you will have a wonderful time. Without going too far off subject, here are a few pointers:

• There are going to be so many things to see and do on board and in port. Your not going to be able to do it all and if you try you will realize that all you did the whole vacation was run...faster than you would at home. Choose your excursions wisely and consult the Fun Times each day and choose the best activities for the family. Don't forget to find some time to relax and enjoy.
  • Check with the MDR on the first day and they will handle everything. You will be able to order your next nights meal in advance and you will be the hero of your table as everyone will want to know what's on the menu for tomorrow. :D
  • Don't hesitate to ask! If you don't see something or don't know if you should have something the staff and chefs all over the ship will be glad to answer your questions. They may have somethings in the back and you just have to ask.
  • Don't sweat the small stuff...your on vacation. Something might go wrong, but don't let it define you cruise. Heck, on my last cruise, I did not double-check my dry cleaning and the dry cleaners gave me the wrong dress shirt for formal night. It was about 2X too small. :D We improvised and made the best out of a bad situation.

Please do report back what you find on your cruise. I cannot wait to hear about your experience. Thanks!

Can you get GF sandwiches in the buffet area or through room service? Or, do we always have to eat in the MDR?

We were told in the magic that they had gf bread at the deli but not room service.

Not that I've ever seen. I've never asked, but maybe they could make something up for you?

Yes! The pizza is ok, it's not bad for gf pizza. Just be careful because I've seen them slice my gf pizza with the pizza slicer that they had just sliced regular pizza with and then wiped off. And sometimes I've been able to get gf sandwiches through room service. It's very hit or miss and sometimes I think it boils down to if the room service prep people want to hunt down some gluten free bread for me lol.

Yes, though it's not the best (much better if it is really hot). They will also make you gluten free french toast on days that the MDR is open for breakfast.

They will make warm chocolate melting cake for you every night!!!

On sea days, find the person in charge on Lido - usually wearing a white uniform (officer maybe?). They will guide you through what you can eat on Lido or what can be prepared for you. I've never looked into gf desserts on Lido, usually just get soft-serve ice cream. It was definitely overwhelming the first time, so try and go before it gets super busy or wait until after the lunch crowd dissipates a bit.

Other info: I've not tried the steakhouse, but I've done the Chef's table twice gluten free. It's a wonderful experience, so don't let GFness stop you from it.

• 1 month later...