Divina -I'd do it again!

pictonite

Early in 2013, our friends from England contacted us to say that they were contemplating a cruise with MSC, on the Divina. They had never seen the Caribbean, and wondered if we would like to accompany them on this cruise. We had sailed on the Lirica some years ago, and really enjoyed the Italian flavour of that lovely ship - so we agreed to join them.

The cruise we selected was a back to back cruise sailing in the Western Caribbean first week, and the Eastern Caribbean the second week. Coming from the cold North, we chose to fly in to Miami two days early .

I always do my homework before a cruise. I check internet rates, check deck configurations, and with some good information, I contact my travel agent who will match any posted price, and will work to get the cabin I want. The cabin we had was on deck 10, an aft cabin with a huge balcony.

We arrived at the port at about 11:30 a.m. and were on board by noon. The terminal is very comfortable, and the process was speedy. The Divina is truly a beautiful ship, and although I was a little apprehensive about being on a ship with over 4, 000 passengers, I have to say that we did not feel crowded at all - except for a little wait for the tenders.

At this point I need to say that we have experienced six different cruise lines, and have enjoyed them all. We select ships for itineraries - or in this case for time with friends - and find that every ship has something special to offer.

With the Divina, what we found was an exceptional crew. Our cabin steward was cheerful, accommodating, and efficient. Our waiter and his assistant were always ready to take our orders, fill water glasses, bring our coffee at the end of the meal, and ensure that our choice were on the table in a timely manner. Spending quality time with good friends is important to us, and we appreciated the fact that we could sit for a long time over dinner. The bar service was unobtrusive, but always available when we needed a drink. Any time we passed a crew member we would hear a cheery greeting.

Addressing a few of the comments made by others who have experienced the Divina:

Being aft, we never had to wait for an elevator. In fact, many times we were the only passengers. When we wanted to go to dinner, we walked to the middle banks, and, again, had no trouble.

Our food was always at the right temperature - hot entrees. There was always something to select from the menu .

I have food allergies, and there was a letter in the cabin on day 1, assuring me that I would be looked after - and I was! The assistant Maitre D’ checked my choices every night, and ensured that they were appropriate.

We agree that the entertainment was absolutely first rate! The shows are among the best at sea - and if Herminio Hurtado, the brilliant dancer who impersonated MIchael Jackson “lip synched” the songs in Starwalker - well - really? The only criticism here is that back to back cruisers will only see repeats of the show in the second week. Our final night we did see a new show - Love Me - a selection from La Traviata. We are opera lovers, so we really appreciated the talents of the singers, and the fact that Andre, the Cruise Director, gave a brief summary of the story line . Our favourite performers were in La Luna Piano Bar on deck 7. The Duo Ameritalian are truly talented performers who will keep you entertained and wanting more.

We booked the Allegrissimo vouchers - 15 tickets for cocktails. That was a good deal, and lasted us quite well. We also booked the wine package - seven bottles with a choice of pretty good Italian wines for dinner.

We ate at Eataly for a birthday surprise. It is true, the chairs are quite different, but the service was exceptional, and the food a tasty treat.

Every port we had a tour - mostly through MSC, but sometimes on our own. The MSC tours were well worth the money, but on one occasion we had extremely long waits to get on our bus, and felt that we lost valuable time because of that.

One problem that arose - we booked everything on line as soon as the tours were available. I copied the email that was sent to me with the confirmations and that accompanied us on our trip. Tickets for tours are sent to your stateroom - and we found that the one tour we really wanted was not there. We were told that we were not booked and that the tour had a waiting list. I will tell you that patience, a little “honey” and a copy of a confirmation finally did the trick, and we were given our trip - which was wonderful.

Back to back passengers are given tickets that indicate their status to the customs officials in Miami, and allow you back on board quite easily.

I could fill pages about the trip - it was a real treat, and we would happily sail with MSC again.

I would be happy to respond to any questions you may have.

Cheers!

Thank you so much for posting such a thorough review. I am glad you enjoyed The MSC Divina.

We sail on her in 49 days and are looking forward to eating in all the specialty restaurants.

I am glad you enjoyed Eataly. This is the one restaurant we are looking forward to. In addition, we are going to eat in Ristorante Italia, the special Chef Tasting Restaurant adjacent to Eataly that holds 24 people. Good Eats I'm sure!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMWP_e95OTzJ5xnSkJ1IOGWGNAJYmLFRovUwircxgSsJXI3XCs4A

Wave your Pinky at NEG-A-TIV-A-TY!

"I am glad you enjoyed Eataly. This is the one restaurant we are looking forward to. In addition, we are going to eat in Ristorante Italia, the special Chef Tasting Restaurant adjacent to Eataly that holds 24 people. Good Eats I'm sure! "

Oops! We actually ate in the Ristorante Italia - the small dining room. The menu changes daily and we really enjoyed the menu for our chosen day. You will love it, I know!:D

Thanks so much for your excellent review. Did you also post it in the "Reviews" section? We sail on Divina March 22 and are so looking forward to it.

Hubby and I each have purchased the 15 drink vouchers and I'm anxious to try some different cocktails - I'm normally a wine drinker here at home. Any favorites you can recommend?

What were your impressions of the food selections, both in the buffet and in the MDR? I've read comments on the buffet ranging from "biggest food selection of any ship" to "nothing but pre-cooked burgers and fries." Was there a carved meat station?

I personally couldn't care less that there's not an omelet station in the buffet. I certainly don't have eggs every morning here, and if I want them, I'll go to the MDR that day. Croissant and fruit will do fine for me!

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip with your friends, thanks again for taking the time to post.

"I am glad you enjoyed Eataly. This is the one restaurant we are looking forward to. In addition, we are going to eat in Ristorante Italia, the special Chef Tasting Restaurant adjacent to Eataly that holds 24 people. Good Eats I'm sure! "

Oops! We actually ate in the Ristorante Italia - the small dining room. The menu changes daily and we really enjoyed the menu for our chosen day. You will love it, I know!:D

Can you give me an idea of the menu offering on your particular night?

Here's what I remember:

Start - Glass of Prosecco with fresh olive bread and aged balsamic vinegar-yummy!

Shrimp starter with an amazing salad

Risotto with truffle oil

Veal cheeks in a marsala wine sauce with endive- very rich

Some kind of raspberry dessert - we had a birthday cake, so didn't try it, but it looked good. We declined any other wine with the meal, but had a bottle of dessert wine with our cake. Finished up with great speciality coffees - which, incidentally, were good throughout the ship.

Enjoy!

Thanks for a great review we are doing the b2b cruise in October can't wait. Have just read the latest review on the main reviews page and they slated the cruise so many mixed reviews. We will be going open minded and I'll be on holiday and it will be warm everything else will be a bonus. Which excursions did you do?

Judith

Hubby and I each have purchased the 15 drink vouchers and I'm anxious to try some different cocktails - I'm normally a wine drinker here at home. Any favorites you can recommend?

What were your impressions of the food selections, both in the buffet and in the MDR? I've read comments on the buffet ranging from "biggest food selection of any ship" to "nothing but pre-cooked burgers and fries." Was there a carved meat station?

I personally couldn't care less that there's not an omelet station in the buffet. I certainly don't have eggs every morning here, and if I want them, I'll go to the MDR that day. Croissant and fruit will do fine for me!

I think that we tried all of the drinks on the bar menu between the four of us! The regular margaritas were fabulous, and a drink called "The Traveller" was a favourite. The vouchers were a really good deal for us.

The buffet has a good selection of food, and we never had to wait long to get to the selections we wanted ,(although we rarely went to the buffet,preferring to eat in the dining room for most meals). There is a carving station with a daily choice of meats. There is also an international section towards the back of the buffet, where you can get some great curries, etc. There are burgers, fries, hot dogs, etc., but, hey - we were on vacation - didn't need to eat fast food when there were other , much nicer foods to try. Tip - go to the very back of the buffet, where you will find plenty of seating.

We ate breakfast in the dining room, where the selections were good - the eggs benedict were particularly good. The croissants are to die for - make sure you ask for two when the waiter comes to see you! The selections on the daily menus were the same every morning, but changed for lunch and, of course, dinner. I enjoyed the fresh fruit and the oatmeal for breakfast.

Hope this helps!

Hi Cruiseguys2009,

We just added all of sample Eataly menus, for both Eataly Steakhouse and Ristorante Italia, to a Pinterest board. Check it out here: http://www.pinterest.com/msccruisesusa/eataly-menus/

FWIW we ate in Eataly on the Preziosa for Mr Moos birthday (last October)

It was amazing. You are going to love it! We will be booking for the Divina repo in July.

Thanks for a great review we are doing the b2b cruise in October can't wait. Have just read the latest review on the main reviews page and they slated the cruise so many mixed reviews. We will be going open minded and I'll be on holiday and it will be warm everything else will be a bonus. Which excursions did you do?

Judith

Sorry it took a while to reply - been dealing with the dreaded tax man!

In Cozumel we took the full day Tulum Mayan Ruins trip - including lunch. This was worthwhile because the tripe necessitates a ferry to the mainland. Our ferry was waiting next to the ship. The trip was good - ruins not as great as Chichen Iza!

In Falmouth we did the Ocho Rios and Dunns River Falls trip - including lunch. This was great fun- climbing the falls, and enjoying a Jamaican lunch.

In Georgetown we did the glass bottom boat and Island tour. We sent postcards from Hell, and we really enjoyed the turtle farm.

In St Maarten we had a fabulous trip -the Sea and See experience. We were able to see some of the Mardi Gras parade in St. Martin, and the submarine adventure was a blast!

In San Juan we did our own thing. We found a tour bus outside the port that took us on an hour of sightseeing for $10 per person. Then we wandered around and did some shopping!

We booked a private tour in Miami - went to the Everglades for an air boat ride - a must do, saw the sights, ate at a Peruvian restaurant and shopped at the Bayside complex. I would not recommend the operator, however, but there are places at the Bayside that will book you.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your reply. Did you book your excursions through MSC.

Judith

Yes - we booked all of the ones I quoted, except San Juan and Miami, through MSC. I usually book with Viator, or other private excursion companies, but the prices MSC offered were very comparable with other companies. The tours were very well run!

Sorry it took a while to reply - been dealing with the dreaded tax man!

In Cozumel we took the full day Tulum Mayan Ruins trip - including lunch. This was worthwhile because the tripe necessitates a ferry to the mainland. Our ferry was waiting next to the ship. The trip was good - ruins not as great as Chichen Iza!

In Falmouth we did the Ocho Rios and Dunns River Falls trip - including lunch. This was great fun- climbing the falls, and enjoying a Jamaican lunch.

In Georgetown we did the glass bottom boat and Island tour. We sent postcards from Hell, and we really enjoyed the turtle farm.

In St Maarten we had a fabulous trip -the Sea and See experience. We were able to see some of the Mardi Gras parade in St. Martin, and the submarine adventure was a blast!

In San Juan we did our own thing. We found a tour bus outside the port that took us on an hour of sightseeing for $10 per person. Then we wandered around and did some shopping!

We booked a private tour in Miami - went to the Everglades for an air boat ride - a must do, saw the sights, ate at a Peruvian restaurant and shopped at the Bayside complex. I would not recommend the operator, however, but there are places at the Bayside that will book you.

Hope this helps!

Did you do the Tulum with Beach Break or the Tulum with Boxed Lunch? I'm leaning towards the Beach Break one.

Did you do the Tulum with Beach Break or the Tulum with Boxed Lunch? I'm leaning towards the Beach Break one.

We did the Tulum with boxed lunch. We couldn't do the beach break because of some medical problems. I think, however , that the beach break would be fun!

Early in 2013, our friends from England contacted us to say that they were contemplating a cruise with MSC, on the Divina. They had never seen the Caribbean, and wondered if we would like to accompany them on this cruise. We had sailed on the Lirica some years ago, and really enjoyed the Italian flavour of that lovely ship - so we agreed to join them.

The cruise we selected was a back to back cruise sailing in the Western Caribbean first week, and the Eastern Caribbean the second week. Coming from the cold North, we chose to fly in to Miami two days early .

I always do my homework before a cruise. I check internet rates, check deck configurations, and with some good information, I contact my travel agent who will match any posted price, and will work to get the cabin I want. The cabin we had was on deck 10, an aft cabin with a huge balcony.

We arrived at the port at about 11:30 a.m. and were on board by noon. The terminal is very comfortable, and the process was speedy. The Divina is truly a beautiful ship, and although I was a little apprehensive about being on a ship with over 4, 000 passengers, I have to say that we did not feel crowded at all - except for a little wait for the tenders.

At this point I need to say that we have experienced six different cruise lines, and have enjoyed them all. We select ships for itineraries - or in this case for time with friends - and find that every ship has something special to offer.

With the Divina, what we found was an exceptional crew. Our cabin steward was cheerful, accommodating, and efficient. Our waiter and his assistant were always ready to take our orders, fill water glasses, bring our coffee at the end of the meal, and ensure that our choice were on the table in a timely manner. Spending quality time with good friends is important to us, and we appreciated the fact that we could sit for a long time over dinner. The bar service was unobtrusive, but always available when we needed a drink. Any time we passed a crew member we would hear a cheery greeting.

Addressing a few of the comments made by others who have experienced the Divina:

Being aft, we never had to wait for an elevator. In fact, many times we were the only passengers. When we wanted to go to dinner, we walked to the middle banks, and, again, had no trouble.

Our food was always at the right temperature - hot entrees. There was always something to select from the menu .

I have food allergies, and there was a letter in the cabin on day 1, assuring me that I would be looked after - and I was! The assistant Maitre D’ checked my choices every night, and ensured that they were appropriate.

We agree that the entertainment was absolutely first rate! The shows are among the best at sea - and if Herminio Hurtado, the brilliant dancer who impersonated MIchael Jackson “lip synched” the songs in Starwalker - well - really? The only criticism here is that back to back cruisers will only see repeats of the show in the second week. Our final night we did see a new show - Love Me - a selection from La Traviata. We are opera lovers, so we really appreciated the talents of the singers, and the fact that Andre, the Cruise Director, gave a brief summary of the story line . Our favourite performers were in La Luna Piano Bar on deck 7. The Duo Ameritalian are truly talented performers who will keep you entertained and wanting more.

We booked the Allegrissimo vouchers - 15 tickets for cocktails. That was a good deal, and lasted us quite well. We also booked the wine package - seven bottles with a choice of pretty good Italian wines for dinner.

We ate at Eataly for a birthday surprise. It is true, the chairs are quite different, but the service was exceptional, and the food a tasty treat.

Every port we had a tour - mostly through MSC, but sometimes on our own. The MSC tours were well worth the money, but on one occasion we had extremely long waits to get on our bus, and felt that we lost valuable time because of that.

One problem that arose - we booked everything on line as soon as the tours were available. I copied the email that was sent to me with the confirmations and that accompanied us on our trip. Tickets for tours are sent to your stateroom - and we found that the one tour we really wanted was not there. We were told that we were not booked and that the tour had a waiting list. I will tell you that patience, a little “honey” and a copy of a confirmation finally did the trick, and we were given our trip - which was wonderful.

Back to back passengers are given tickets that indicate their status to the customs officials in Miami, and allow you back on board quite easily.

I could fill pages about the trip - it was a real treat, and we would happily sail with MSC again.

Cheers!

When using your drink vouchers...Was there a lot of drinks that were not included? When I called MSC one said it was on your seapass card and one agent said they were paper vouchers. Could you confirm this for me. And finally.....Were the vouchers taken at all the bars or certain ones? Thanks for your help. Your review was encouraging, we leave May 10th and can't wait!

When using your drink vouchers...Was there a lot of drinks that were not included? When I called MSC one said it was on your seapass card and one agent said they were paper vouchers. Could you confirm this for me. And finally.....Were the vouchers taken at all the bars or certain ones? Thanks for your help. Your review was encouraging, we leave May 10th and can't wait!

Any of the drinks that did not have a red star beside them were available to buy with the vouchers. We found it difficult to decide from the large selection. When we boarded, we went to the casino bar, where the vouchers were waiting for us. They came in a small booklet. We could use them in any bar, and in the dining rooms. You gave the server the vouchers, and one sea pass. The servers did not mind who gave them their sea pass - just one person, who signed for the drinks. The vouchers were simple to use, and more than ample for us. Most of the drinks we selected cost $7.50 so the saving was worthwhile.

Enjoy your cruise!

Yes - we booked all of the ones I quoted, except San Juan and Miami, through MSC. I usually book with Viator, or other private excursion companies, but the prices MSC offered were very comparable with other companies. The tours were very well run!

Thanks

OK, so we have pre-ordered two carnets of drink vouchers and the e-mail confirmation I got said they would be in our cabin by the second day. I'm thinking this does not help us on the first day!

So, we just go to the casino bar after embarkation and present our e-mail, and they will give us the vouchers? I must admit I'm a bit confused as to the logistics, but I'm still really looking forward to our cruise Saturday!

OK, so we have pre-ordered two carnets of drink vouchers and the e-mail confirmation I got said they would be in our cabin by the second day. I'm thinking this does not help us on the first day!

So, we just go to the casino bar after embarkation and present our e-mail, and they will give us the vouchers? I must admit I'm a bit confused as to the logistics, but I'm still really looking forward to our cruise Saturday!

The OP said they got their vouchers in the casino bar upon arriving on the ship!

I would appreciate you reviewing this process after your cruise as we also ordered vouchers on our cruises in a couple months!

Have a good cruise:D

Cheers!

I know you said you had a tour at every port, but do you know if the casino was open when the ship was in port? We're not leaving the port area in Jamaica, so after a short walk around the port, we might go back to the ship, and try to find out what's going on!

I know you said you had a tour at every port, but do you know if the casino was open when the ship was in port? We're not leaving the port area in Jamaica, so after a short walk around the port, we might go back to the ship, and try to find out what's going on!

The casino was closed while the ship was in port!

Cheers!