Live From the Jewell 1/3/2016

troyphoto

Quick question for you guys that just returned....

Did you use dollars in the ports or was it necessary to exchange dollars for pesos? If so, where did you do that? Was the rate better in Mexico or here before you left? Thanks for the info!

~Joanne

Did you use dollars in the ports or was it necessary to exchange dollars for pesos? If so, where did you do that? Was the rate better in Mexico or here before you left? Thanks for the info!

~Joanne

DO NOT EXCHANGE YOUR AMERICAN DOLLARS! They take our money and it's better that you know what you are spending. Too many pesos per dollar and things get very confusing.

~Joanne

I'll jump in on this one, since I know Troy didn't get off the ship last week until they forced him to on Sunday morning ;-)

We exchanged some US$ to Pesos at our bank (BofA) before we left -- we got a good exchange rate and no fee other than the delivery fee which is a flat rate. We made little cheat sheets (based on the exchange rate we got) to put in our wallets so that we knew what the comparative cost was. For the most part, the price of goods was cheaper in Pesos than dollars, so I would do it that way again the next time we go. We had no trouble getting change back on the bus or shops that we went to. When we ran out of Pesos, we easily were able to use US$ for the odd item we bought on the last day.

Edited by 3kidsncats

I'll jump in on this one, since I know Troy didn't get off the ship last week until they forced him to on Sunday morning ;-)

We exchanged some US$ to Pesos at our bank (BofA) before we left -- we got a good exchange rate and no fee other than the delivery fee which is a flat rate. We made little cheat sheets (based on the exchange rate we got) to put in our wallets so that we knew what the comparative cost was. For the most part, the price of goods was cheaper in Pesos than dollars, so I would do it that way again the next time we go. We had no trouble getting change back on the bus or shops that we went to. When we ran out of Pesos, we easily were able to use US$ for the odd item we bought on the last day.

First Off - thanks to Troy for doing this. We are going on the 1/31 sailing and it was fun to follow along with you.

2nd - We were in Mexico right before the new year and we just exchanged at a local ATM in Tijuana. It was a 35 peso fee (about 2 $) for the ATM. Everything we bought was about 2-3 dollars cheaper in pesos. We found that the american dollar exchange in most businesses is based on 15 pesos to a dollar and the current exchange as of today is almost 18 pesos to a dollar and rising. As an example - Our lunch (for 6 of us) was 350 pesos (about 19$) and in american dollars it would have been $23.50 (They write it on the check). So you can totally use american dollars if you want. But if you are budget conscious and want to save a few $$ the peso is the way to go.

Other things to note - The ATM fees may be considerably higher in Cabo as it is far more touristy than where we were in Tijuana. Also -The local currency exchange rates in Tijuana were trading for 16.5 pesos to a dollar with a fee.

One last thing - There is a currency app for android and iphone called XE. It is a great way to figure out what the actual cost of something is in foreign currency. It has a calculator built into the app. It also work offline so if you don't have roaming data on your phone it will be as accurate as when you last used it.

-Sean

I just got the online survey from NCL - Filling it out I marked a few things less than "Excellent" - but there wasn't an appropriate question or comment box to explain those things, so I want to address them below in hopes that it will filter up.

1. Room/Steward - our guy wasn't bad - but I wonder if he was newer, or just over-worked.

On Embarkation day, there was an empty plastic cup on the table in our room - no biggie - we can toss it. But it was missed.

Because we're married and actually sleep together (unlike the Ward and June Cleaver) the bunks were pushed together to make a double bed. That uncovered some crumbs (not little ones) near the wall from someone's past munching in bed when the beds were separated.

Both of these go to the point I made above that our first sailing on the Jewel in Dec 05 - there were more stewards covering the same number of rooms. Now, I get the feeling that the stewards are just getting by on covering their rooms due to being understaffed.

Our guy was also a tad late with things like the Dailies (missed one day entirely), and the customs forms didn't show until after we put our luggage in the hallway. (I had already got one from the front desk area)

2. Cruise Staff - Is it just me, or have past cruises had more informative announcements via ship speaker. I spend a LOT of time out on deck during the day. I know... BINGO! - but also things like: "Don't forget to get your customs form filled out - there's an information seminar on it today in Spinnaker..." I notice those have been dropping off.

Yes, there's a balance of too many announcements - we get the Bingo, we get the shopping, photos etc to get us to spend $$ on board. I like the Capt's announcement every day for weather and ocean depth etc. But, perhaps a tad more information that isn't just trying to get us to spend more money.

The following is entirely on me, but, one I feel that I need to share to help the staff understand:

I wear hearing aids. Not a bad hearing loss, but enough of one. Unfortunately, when on deck, the loudspeakers are difficult enough to understand. Add in any kind of unfamiliar accent, and the hearing aids don't do well with the tinny quality of the speakers.

Context really helps me understand what is said, despite the accent. The capt gives ships speed, heading position, etc. The cruise staff give event times, tender ticket numbers.

Unfortunately, our fun Cruise Director, Sin, has an accent I'm not used to. He's also the primary voice from the ceiling for all things not about the Ship's position/heading (or BINGO! - that was Asst CD Tom's job)... When Sin was sharing some of that info I requested above, I had difficulty understand. This wasn't because of his accent - but because his accent was coming through a tinny sound system, and getting "pushed" through by my hearing aids, which only amplify certain frequencies.

In the theater, when Sin was on the mic, I had no problems understanding him... but those ship speakers on deck... not good.

3. the Ship/Schedule - Wife's BIG complaint: Walking in the morning on Deck 7

Impossible she says, and that's the primary activity she enjoys.

Sport's deck track, too narrow, too often, and you'll get run over by the joggers. She likes deck 7 for getting her 5-7 miles (not laps, miles) every morning before breakfast.

But, the most she got in was three laps one day. Most days was one lap, then start the back and forthing as the maintenance guys came out at first light to rope off a section and start cleaning something.

She'd like to know what hour(s) in the morning each day that the deck will be open for walking laps - and she'll plan her day around that. One morning the entire starboard side was shut down for washing as she went out at about 7-ish... back to the room, shower and head to breakfast. Didn't want to shower again, so skipped exercise, skipped bread and dessert at dinner to make up for no exercise.

We understand the need to maintain the ship, to drop lifeboats for tendering, for medical emergencies, etc. We'd just like the communication (print it in the Dailies) of when the walking area on deck 7 will be available for the non-runners. We'll plan tomorrow's exercise times IF we know when is best.

4. Bar Staff and the UBP - First, we always had great experiences with our bar staff/waiters. They were overworked with all of the UBP plans on board, but were always friendly and helpful.

Wife and I, and most of the experience cruisers we talked to said the bonus UBP promotions seemed to have caused NCL to drop a waiter here and there. They appeared understaffed. Perhaps they were just overworked with everyone wanting drinks.

But, even in the theater, we noticed less staff, not less attention. Once we caught their eye, they were responsive and polite. Nothing but good stuff to say about the staff... just wondering if there were less bar staff???

Other than picking up a head cold (based on incubation times - I was exposed to it in LA a few days before the cruise) - it was good cruise. The items above were the bits that could have been better - but nothing major ... although keeping the wife happy about her exercise is key to getting her back on board. :D

As for the UBP as a promo... Meh. Wife and I would go for (pay) the soda card next time. She drinks enough soda, and I like ginger ale enough to at least drink enough to pay for the card. But, we didn't drink anywhere close to enough booze to have actually pay for the UBP. - But, I won't say no to free booze if that's what the promo is. I just won't pay for an UBP in the future.