Cozumel Tour on Our Own and What I wish I had done.

TnTWalter

We rented a jeep for the day [Ernestos $60 US total] and toured the island. Had lots of fun. BUT we did not take a few minutes to plan our route...which caused some issues lol. Learn from my mistake. Plan where you are going to visit if you can. Look at the map and mark some spots.

Ernestos is right down the street from International Pier. leave port area and go left down the road until you see a red vertical sign for Ernestos.

He gives you a map. Use both sides of this map. ha ha.

We hit the ruins [$9.50 per person; hot but enjoyable; there are some you can walk on]. Then the plan was to go to Playa Bonita and chill a bit and then continue on to Palancar or another beach and then to town for shopping food, etc.

We were an hour later than planned which was part of the problem. I had planned lunch in town but we were on the East beaches...

so we missed Playa Bonita and decided to just go to Palancar. That beach wasn't as nice so we didn't stay but really it was fine and restaurant was cute on beach and they had beach chairs [bonita no chairs on beach].... we went back to Playa Bonita...that's 15 minutes each way .... when you don't have a lot of time, not good. So don't backtrack. Pick a stop and commit. ha.

Playa Bonita

We decided to share food here thinking we'd make it to town later. We shared tacos [4], quesadillas [4], and got guac in addition to the free chips and salsa. A couple beers and soda and we were at $40 US? Worked for us. There are expensive drinks on the menu and some meals are $$ so watch out. Then we played on the beach, swam, etc. for just under an hour. The beach is slightly nicer than Palancar but not amazing by any means. But it's free and not crowded at all [we drove by Playa Mia, Paradise, etc. lots of tour buses, taxis, etc.]

The drive around the wild side was nice. Lots of places you could stop and check out if you want.

so we get gas, drop off the car and shop in port. Walk on the ship at 5:15.

It was a great day, but I think a little planning would have made it better.

Pics

26391118645_e9a188305f.jpg

26298780402_19fc9d07cf.jpg

25786291824_174517bb37.jpg

26324914421_bb1f08d43e.jpg

25786286474_b15005478f.jpg

25788374043_3886116b65.jpg

Edited by TnTWalter

Enjoying your reviews! Your trip sounds like our first family trip to Coz. Rented a car didn't quite go to the right places. I'm glad we saw a lot of the island, but it was hectic and the car was scary. Second trip, we took cab straight to the money bar and snorkeled. We had a much better time.

Enjoying your reviews! Your trip sounds like our first family trip to Coz. Rented a car didn't quite go to the right places. I'm glad we saw a lot of the island, but it was hectic and the car was scary. Second trip, we took cab straight to the money bar and snorkeled. We had a much better time.

we loved the jeep. it was not in the greatest condition but it was fun. it was hectic though. the kids enjoyed the ruins and a little of the driving. it's hard with 5 people trying to make everyone happy. i would have liked to snorkel and lounge and have a cocktail. lol. next time no kid maybe! ha ha.