Quebec City to Montreal

Our cruise will end in Quebec City but we fly out of Montreal the next day. What are some options for getting from Quebec City to Montreal? I'm not looking necessarily for the cheapest way. I do want something reliable. Are there any car services?

Thank you.

For the most convenient transport, I would elect for a flight from Quebec City to Montreal. It is a good 3 hour drive from Quebec City to Montreal. A car service might be more than a flight.

Alicomp...I asked this same question a ways back and got some very helpful information. We are going to rent a car the day we arrive in Quebec, use it to sightsee, keep it in the parking lot overnight, then drive to the airport for our 4:00pm flight. I checked air and it was way to expensive...the train might work for you. It got in too late for us to make our flight.

We used a wonderful private tour last year on our NCL Jewel New England / Canada cruise with a private driver, Aram Baklayan. He drove round trip from Montreal that day. He met us at the port and we literally saw everything on our list and more despite a driving rain. He was well prepared including snacks and beverages. He also videotaped our tour and provided narration while we were busy touring. We especially wanted to go for a drink and a peak inside of the Hotel Frontenac. While we were inside relaxing, he drove around to some of the places we didn't have on our list and taped and narrated what we would have seen.

A+ service door to door and very accommodating! contact him at a.baklayan@tattech.com

• 5 weeks later...

I'm trying to get more information about your tour in Quebec. How did you locate this private tour guide? We are interested in a private tour but this is the first time I've heard of him and just wonder if you could give me more information about him. You can contact me at kathyleonhardt@adelphia.net

Would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you,

Kathy Leonhardt

• 2 weeks later...

An excellent means and economical way is the bus. There is a bus that leaves Quebec city every hour on the hour. Makes the return trip much more flexible. The train on the other hand is more spacious and relaxing. It also stops at Central station which is downtown. Gives you a chance to visit Montreal tha day prior to your return home. Both options are a great means to get to Montreal.

I think the most interesting option is the train. look at viarail.com. They have first class named VIA 1, if you want a good meal with wine served. It's way more relaxing than the plane. Allow plenty of time between the train and flight though because train arrive late sometimes (sometimes quite often). They have a shuttle from the Montreal train station to the airport but please double-check that with them when you book.

My opinion of train vs. plane:

Plane: From the port, about 30 minutes taxi ride to the airport

Train Station: about 5 minutes from the port

Plane: Airport terminal is under repairs and nothing interesting

Train: Quebec city train station is a great old building and inside, its architecture is very nice.

Plane: They suggest arriving at least 1hr prior to your flight for domestic flight and about 2.5-3hours for international flights... personnally, I don't like waiting in airports, especially not the one in Quebec City.

Train: Arriving 1/2 an hour before departure is alright.

Plane: Noisy but quicker (if you're counting only the inflight time) about 20 minutes in the air.

Train: 3 hours ride but more comfortable and without the airplane noise. If you opt for VIA 1 class, you will also enjoy a good meal.

Plane: You arrive directly at the airport to catch your other flight.

Train: You have to take a shuttle from the train station to the airport.

Plane: Your suitcases have bigger chances to get lost

Train: You don't have to check your suitcases, you can bring them with you on the train.

As you see, I personnally prefer the train for short distances... maybe not only for short distances since I LOVED my train ride (with a sleeper) from Quebec to Vancouver and return after 2 weeks in Vancouver.

I replied information to your personal email. Aram did an excellent job. He is a very personable young man and includes a great tour for as well as transportation.

No hesitation to recommend him!

Archived