High Tea Time on Carnival

bettycrocker

I've seen this on their capers and was curious.

I've been to a traditional english tea, is this anything like that.

Does anyone know where it takes place and what they serve?

Haven't really seen anything about it anywhere.

Thanks

They have a variety of teas and pour your water into your china cups from a silver pitcher. It's very nice. The piano player plays very relaxing music. I remember small tea sandwiches, and I think there were also petit-fours. On the "Fantasy" class ships, the tea was in the aft lounge just above the dining room. On the Miracle, I think it was in the piano bar.

I wouldn't miss "Tea Time" on Carnival cruises. It isn't High Tea, but is a very nice way to spend some time away from the hoopla of other events on the ship. It is offered only on sea days, around 3pm, in one of the smaller lounges. I've enjoyed different tastes on each cruise, such as tea sandwiches, petit fours, scones w/lemon curd, tiny cookies, and always a nice selection of teas. All white gloved service from silver tea service. Very relaxing with the light live music in the background.

Actually its not a High Tea, its a Low Tea

High Tea is a term used mainly in the United Kingdom and Ireland to describe an early evening meal, typically around 5-6 pm, eaten as a substitute for both afternoon tea and the evening meal. The term comes from the meal being eaten at the "high" (main) table, rather than the smaller table common in living rooms. It is now largely replaced the later meal tea (see below). It would usually consist of cold meats, eggs and/or fish, cakes, and sandwiches, all served at the same time. The cakes may either be full sized and cut into slices, or smaller individual cakes, or muffins, toast or other sweet breads.

In a family, it tends to be less formal and often it is essentially either a regularised snack, usually featuring sandwiches, cookies, pastry, fruit, and the like (in Spain, this is called a merienda), or else it is supper.

"Afternoon Tea" (or Low Tea) is a light meal from Britain (but forms of it exist around the world, mostly in places formerly part of the British Empire) taken at around 4 o'clock in the afternoon. Many parts of this meal come from the fascination of wealthy Britons with China and Japan in the 18th century - the Orientalist craze.

Formal afternoon tea is served in three stages. The chosen tea is served in a teapot with optional milk and sugar; it is also customary to have a glass of Rosé or White Champagne. A triple-tier cakestand is brought with a variety of finger sandwiches, customarily: cucumber with cream cheese, watercress with mayonnaise, ham with mustard, and smoked salmon. These are served on the lowermost tier. On the middle tier are scones, enough for two per person, usually one plain and one flavoured (with apple and cinnamon for example); these are served with butter, strawberry or raspberry jam, and clotted cream. On the uppermost tier is a selection of handcrafted miniature cakes and pastries, usually consisting of fruit and chocolate. After this is an optional slice of a cake, such as Battenburg. While afternoon tea used to be an everyday event, nowadays it is more likely to be taken as a treat in a hotel, café, or tea house, although many Britons will still have a cup of tea and a slice of cake at "teatime". In modern days, however, it has turned into another meal taken at about 4-6 o'clock.

Nope .. not British, just love tea and have quite a few friends and co-workers from England. I made the same mistake years ago and resolved myself to learning about it correctly :)

MikeG,

Thanks for the information. I was fascinated! I love the tea service and I really enjoy tea on Carnival more than on Princess.

It seems more relaxing, and now after your information, I think it is closer to "the real thing".

I was a little surprised and disappointed on a recent RCI cruise that they don't offer this amenity.:(

On Carnival - no, there is no charge for Tea Time. You also don't have to 'dress' for the occasion. I always feel a bit odd at 'tea' wearing shorts, but that's what most passengers wear - whatever they have on at 3 in the aftn. Only once did I see a lady in her swimsuit and coverup. I think she was embarassed though, and left before enjoying tea.:)

I wouldn't miss "Tea Time" on Carnival cruises. It isn't High Tea, but is a very nice way to spend some time away from the hoopla of other events on the ship. It is offered only on sea days, around 3pm, in one of the smaller lounges. I've enjoyed different tastes on each cruise, such as tea sandwiches, petit fours, scones w/lemon curd, tiny cookies, and always a nice selection of teas. All white gloved service from silver tea service. Very relaxing with the light live music in the background.

;) great info....didn't realize they even had this........

On the Glory we had tea time in the Ivory Room. The room is decorated in all elephant stuff; very cool and relaxing place. (Hard to Find on boat but it's in the back) We went to tea time twice because it was so good. You pick a table or chair in the room, the waiter comes over with several pots of hot water. Then they bring over a tea box of several teas that you don't see inland. I know this because my mother loves teas so much that she can't find what she had there. Then they come around with a cart full of treats. My favorite with the scones, all the sweet items, and surprising the salmon with cream and dip on a baguette. I can't wait to go on our next cruise to go to tea time!! Nice relaxing time, if you decide to do this it's worth the peace and quiet from all the kids. I hope this gives you an idea about tea time and enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

:) Your "http" signature line is so huge and long, causing your entire post to run 'way off the board. Could you perhaps alter so we are able to read your posts w/o scrolling so much? I've asked this before, but you probably never saw it. Please? I enjoy reading your posts, but it's really aggrevating having to scroll. Thx.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I have only cruised once before and had no idea that Carnival did "tea time". My daughter, who is 11 would love this. :D All of her birthday parties for the past 3 years have been at 4 in the afternoon and consisted of these same kinds of foods, she enjoys decorating and planning the menu etc.. so I know that she would love going to this. No one will give my "looks" for bringing an 11 year old to this will they? She is VERY well mannered (if I do say so myself). ;)

Of course you won't get any 'looks'. If your DD acts like a little lady (and I'm sure she will by your description), no problem. I hope you both enjoy your tea time together.

Only once did I see a mom and her four little hooligans at Tea Time, and they were all in swimming suits. They kept running around the pianist, laughing and hitting the piano keys as they ran around.:rolleyes: The mom sat in a corner and enjoyed her tea.:eek: After about ten minutes, the pianist finally asked her to restrain her children. The lady left in a huff - probably straight to the purser to complain. Geez.

I often feel strange having "tea" in shorts, but folks wear what they have on at the time like shorts, capris. I mean, this isn't a dressy affair, but swimwear was totally inappropriate.

Well, there always seems to be one "mom" that is the only person on the planet oblivious to just how bad her kids really are. It makes it hard to take a well mannered child anywhere without getting the "looks" like, oh no, a child!:mad: I took my daughter to the ballet several years (she was 6) ago and we had really nice seats and I could overhear some people complaining that a child should not be allowed.....after it was all over (2 hours later)....one of the "ladies" in that party came over to me and apologized and told me how quiet and well mannered my child was. I just smiled and said thank you. It really hurt my feelings when they first said it, but then again, I kind of understood. Some parents just do not understand how disruptive unruly children can be to others.