firsttimer

jbc

My wife and I are going on our first cruise on the silverwind in september from Venice to nice. How to pack, what type clothes, any other advice. Thanks jbc

If you can be more specific about your questions, it would help a lot. What exactly do you want to know? There are different modes of dress required on the various nights - what questions do you have?

• 2 weeks later...

What type clothing is expected for the daily dining such as breakfast, lunch, or casual clothing on the boat. I have read where on formal nights the men wear tuxedos. what about the women? jbc

There's a big range of outfits on formal night. See previous threads on "formal wear" and similar topics for exhaustive discussions of this topic.

In a nutshell: Most men wear tuxes, but dark suits are perfectly acceptable (and are specifically mentioned in Silversea's dress code). Some women go all out on formal night, but I've seen women in dark business suits with trousers, too. Anything in between, from a cocktail dress to a ldress like your daughter might wear to the Senior Prom, should work just fine.

Informal night requires a jacket for men, with or without necktie, though most men seem to wear ties. Suits, sport coats, or blazers with dress slacks are appropriate. Women have more leeway; whatever you'd wear to a decent restaurant should be OK.

On casual night, anything that might fit the "corporate casual" description is acceptable. That could mean a sport shirt with Dockers for men (jacket not required but not forbidden either) and whatever women would wear in that situation.

Some people do overdress on Silversea, but a few underdress, too. I remember seeing one dapper-looking older gent in a navy-blue blazer and white trousers on formal night; his wife wore a matching outfit, and the two of them would have made a great-looking Vaudeville couple if they'd only had straw skimmers and canes!

Side note: During the day, most Silversea guests are indistinguishable from the people you see wandering around at a suburban shopping mall or supermarket. I don't recall seeing any men in tank tops or "Skateboarding is not a crime" t-shirts, but polo shirts and shorts (or the female equivalent) seem to be par for the course.

What type clothing is expected for the daily dining such as breakfast, lunch, or casual clothing on the boat. I have read where on formal nights the men wear tuxedos. what about the women? jbc

If you page down the list of tipics - you'll find everything you've asked discussed recently.

You'll find that people are very helpful on the boards - but it is considered curteous to look to see if the specific question you're asking has been answered before and then ask anything that isn't covered.

eg

http://boards.cruisecritic.com./showthread.php?t=33576

http://boards.cruisecritic.com./showthread.php?t=49351

I genuinely believe that your first cruise will be helped if you spend 30 minutes or so just reading through each of the threads and reports even if unrelated to your question about formal nights. Most people find it useful. Hope that helps.

Enjoy the cruise.

Archived