Advice on QM2 4 Day Cruise --7/4/07

1stStater

Thinking of this particular cruise for a variety of reasons. First of all, it's my husband's 60th birthday and thought it would be a good way to celebrate. Secondly, since he and our grown children have never been on a cruise, a short hop makes more sense to see if they like cruising. I am concerned that the ship's atmosphere may be too stuffy. I am not looking for a wild and crazy party boat (like some) but would like a diverse group of people on board. I read on one of the boards where someone characterized the 4-day passengers in a unflattering way. It was rather snooty. I am looking for an enjoyable time and don't want to raise any eyebrows should I have one too many martinis. :D

Go ahead and enjoy. I started my cruising life on those 4 day trips and they were perfectly fine. Doing my first ever full week later this year - and on the QM2 too! These short trips represent only a snippet of what a longer cruise would entail but it is a perfect way for a person to determine whether or not life on the seas is for them. A short cruise can be a party or high society as much as you make it.

Actually there are some very nice people on this board going on that same cruise! (Can't think of one of them I'd call a "stuffed shirt"!) I am very jeoulous I won't be joining in on all the fun :cool: but I think you are bound to have a blast! Pound the martinis, full speed ahead! :D

*Is ready to call up CruiserKings "The Most Beautiful Ship..." lyrics*

Cunard's "bark" (as being snooty and snobby) is worse than its bite. The Cunard/Carnival/Princess spin machine has created a bloated image of life aboard that is more than six degrees of separation from reality.

You earned it; go enjoy. Happy Birthday.

Thinking of this particular cruise for a variety of reasons. First of all, it's my husband's 60th birthday and thought it would be a good way to celebrate. Secondly, since he and our grown children have never been on a cruise, a short hop makes more sense to see if they like cruising. I am concerned that the ship's atmosphere may be too stuffy. I am not looking for a wild and crazy party boat (like some) but would like a diverse group of people on board. I read on one of the boards where someone characterized the 4-day passengers in a unflattering way. It was rather snooty. I am looking for an enjoyable time and don't want to raise any eyebrows should I have one too many martinis. :D

Hi 1st Stater,

We are booked with my parents for this cruise on the 3rd of July for the New England/Canada Cruise. We have also cruised Cunard's QE2 & Caronia in the past for a total of 15 times.

We do agree that Cunard in the past has attracted a certain higher society type of passengers and we also have experienced their particular needs and requests. But there are many other passengers on board besides them and you should make the vacation what you expect of it. There are many things to do and see.

We did at first try what is known as No Where cruises that were 3 days long to get the feeling of the experience of cruising. We later found the ships we wanted to go on and eventually graduated to 10-12 days voyages for many many many years.

Yes, I have heard that many take short cruises to fit in gambling, drinks, partying etc... in that little time.

But we have met some very nice people on the QE2 that we even keep in touch with to this day some 10 years later.

Below is the Roll Call Thread for this particular cruise and has on record 35+ Cruise Critics signed on and communicating with each other and looking forward to meeting each other.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=280739

Hope this helps you abit.....

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed&Bev)

Archived