Hong Kong Shopping - Glasses, pearls, ladies tunics, luggage, jade, pharmacy

Jade13

1. Prescription Eye Glasses

Are glasses really a bargain in Hong Kong? I know years ago they said to bring your prescription. I am wondering if costs are really just similar to what you pay if you have insurance in the US?

For example, my DH and I can get designer glasses in the US for approx $150.00 to $200.00 with insurance when the retail (without insurance) would be about $600.00 . $100.00 of this is for progressives (so no line in the middle) which is not covered by insurance, or $100.00 extra in the US for polarizers if you want prescription sunglasses (not covered by insurance).

Are nice glasses really a deal (for us a deal would be $100.00 or less for progressives and/prescription sunglasses) in Hong Kong or should we not waste our time going to eye glass stores to look? Also, are these stores in Kowloon, and where are they located?

2. Tunics

Where to go for ladies tunics besides Shangai Tang which starts at $500.00 and is in the US. Can you find these in the night market in Kowloon, and where?

3. Luggage

Where do we go in Kowloon to get a deal on roller luggage since we have a weight restriction traveling through China so thought we would purchase luggage in Hong Kong.

4. Pharmacy

Where is a pharmacy to purchase anything we forget or need, make-up, conditioner, shower gel, etc? Someone mentioned Ocean Terminal?

5. Jade Market

Can someone please remind me where the jade market is located? I know a lot of it is fake.

Hi, also looking for some of the same things in HK, but also some housewares type items we may want to have for our cabin - extra hangers, clothes dryer rack, laundry supplies, and hanging shoe storage.

There is a chain pharmacy on Nathan Road (a British name I recall) right outside the Ocean terminal area, so it looks like that will be an easy place to stock up on regular cosmetic type items.

Also interested in prescription eye glasses and wondered too if those same bargains we got years ago still exist. Used to be around $30 US, but I am talking decades ago.

Apparently there are a lot of little shops for just about everything off Nathan Road and behind the Peninsula Hotel and a night market up in that area too. However, from a shopping trip in this area (again many years ago) is where I noticed most things had shorter sleeves for "western" arms so be sure to measure things found in the bin if sleeve length matters.

There is a chain pharmacy on Nathan Road (a British name I recall) right outside the Ocean terminal area, so it looks like that will be an easy place to stock up on regular cosmetic type items.

Oh wow. Could this be Boots by chance? I haven't been to the UK in years but they had the best foot cream ever, very cheap (years ago) in a simple glass jar, Boots Deep Moisturizing Foot Cream with mint, lavender, and marshmallow.

Oh wow. Could this be Boots by chance? I haven't been to the UK in years but they had the best foot cream ever, very cheap (years ago) in a simple glass jar, Boots Deep Moisturizing Foot Cream with mint, lavender, and marshmallow.

No, it was not Boots, but it sounds like something like what Boots has to offer.

Watsons I believe. I also believe that we saw a Marks and Spencer further out on Nathan rd.

About 4 years ago I had glasses made and they were progressive and transition lenses. (No line and change to sun glasses when in the light). While they were less than retail, the total cost was about the same as I would have paid under my insurance without transition. Certainly not $30.

I think I paid over $200 with the designer frames.

One of the 1st stops for my wife and daughers; it is located off Nathan Rd on Konsu Street. It is about half way between the MTR Jordan stop and Yau Ma Te Stop. If you can figure which direction West is then it is west of Nathan Rd about two blocks. Need a guide/My wife and daughter will be glad to join you (We will be there in April;))

Second try: Watson's Pharmacy - 101 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon Hong Kong, near Ocean Terminal

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&gl=us&g=Canal+Rd+E%2C+Hong+Kong+Island%2C+Hong+Kong&q=101+Nathan+Road+Kowloon&btnG=Search+Maps

Sorry, it still does not give the link to the map, but if you click the Nathan Road address on the US map on the google map link, it should take you to the Nathan Road map

Second try: Watson's Pharmacy - 101 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon Hong Kong, near Ocean Terminal

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&gl=us&g=Canal+Rd+E%2C+Hong+Kong+Island%2C+Hong+Kong&q=101+Nathan+Road+Kowloon&btnG=Search+Maps

Sorry, it still does not give the link to the map, but if you click the Nathan Road address on the US map on the google map link, it should take you to the Nathan Road map

great. Thanks!

My wife just purchased a copy of "born to shop hong kong. . ." The author claims to have purchased eye glasses at New Fei Optical Supply with designer frames for $75-$100. Not that easy to reach as it a subway then taxi ride in Kowloon. Actually three other contributors to the book also suggested New Fei.

Address: Lucky Horse Industrial Bldg., 64 Yong Mi Rd., 1-7 Bute St. 12th flr. ( MTR Prince Edward stop then shuttle or taxi):)

Good luck

My wife just purchased a copy of "born to shop hong kong. . ." The author claims to have purchased eye glasses at New Fei Optical Supply with designer frames for $75-$100. Not that easy to reach as it a subway then taxi ride in Kowloon. Actually three other contributors to the book also suggested New Fei.

Address: Lucky Horse Industrial Bldg., 64 Yong Mi Rd., 1-7 Bute St. 12th flr. ( MTR Prince Edward stop then shuttle or taxi):)

Good luck

What year was that book published (or updated)? I had a copy over 10 years ago, by "Suzie G." as I recall.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if that was just the frames or frames plus script? If so, than it would be 2 trips (unless they drop off at area hotels). We may skip the glasses since our company switched insurance policies I think we get the benefit again this year (instead of waiting 2 years), but I was thinking of perhaps just looking for the frames only.

Any info on ladies silk tunics in Kowloon, or are they all over the place?

What year was that book published (or updated)? I had a copy over 10 years ago, by "Suzie G." as I recall.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if that was just the frames or frames plus script? If so, than it would be 2 trips (unless they drop off at area hotels). We may skip the glasses since our company switched insurance policies I think we get the benefit again this year (instead of waiting 2 years), but I was thinking of perhaps just looking for the frames only.

Book is two years old, Yes Suzie G. but expanded to include Shanghai, Bejing, Taipai, Hanoi and Saigon-We have the earlier copy also

I could not find any information specific to tunics; some discussion of women's clothing but not as in depth as one would hope

I forgot-Her price included frames and lenses:o

If you are looking for Chinese style tunics, go to Ladies Market in Mongkok. Just take the subway to Mongkok station, they'll have signs showing how to get to the Ladies Market. They are much cheaper than any other places that I could find. (That is unless you can cross the border and go to Shenzhen/Lowu train station with your visas.)It would be even better if a local can take you there. I always get several of those as gifts. Just be aware of the crowds!

There's a Marks and Spencer in the building next to Ocean Terminal (connected). Watson's is a good place to get shampoo, cream, snacks, etc. They are everywhere. One in the Star Building next to Ocean Terminal, and there's another one on Nathan Road. On Nathan Road, near the Jordan station, there's a department store called "Wing-On" which has almost everything in reasonable price.

Glasses--I don't bother getting them there anymore.

Have fun!

There's a Marks and Spencer in the building next to Ocean Terminal (connected). Watson's is a good place to get shampoo, cream, snacks, etc. They are everywhere. One in the Star Building next to Ocean Terminal, and there's another one on Nathan Road. On Nathan Road, near the Jordan station, there's a department store called "Wing-On" which has almost everything in reasonable price.

Would Marks & Spencer be a good place to pick up a couple of bottles of wine? That's where we picked it up in Canterbury but don't know if each country has a different policy about liquor sales.

Barb

One of the 1st stops for my wife and daughers; it is located off Nathan Rd on Konsu Street. It is about half way between the MTR Jordan stop and Yau Ma Te Stop. If you can figure which direction West is then it is west of Nathan Rd about two blocks. Need a guide/My wife and daughter will be glad to join you (We will be there in April;))

Could you let me know when you are going? I would love to take you up on your offer and hope you weren't joking. My email is stoneimage at prodigy dot net.

Barb

Archived