Safari Bus

wlbox

Will be in St Thomas mid December. Is it currently possible to take the Safari Bus to Sapphire Beach? How difficult is catching a return ride back to port? Before the hurricane we always used the Safari buses for inexpensive transportation.

IMHO You could end up wasting a considerable amount of time waiting for a safari. Understand the hurricanes changed everything in our day-to-day lives. What WAS pre-hurricane isn't necessarily what IS post-hurricane. It appears that there are less safaris on the road now probably because so many are still awaiting repair. If your time is not a concern you can probably try but my guess is that you will find fewer of them and they will be more crowded. I've recently waited as long as 35-40 minutes just for one to come along. :( Hope my experience helps.

Just returned. There were safari buses waiting to take people to the main beaches (Megan's Bay, Coki and Saphire) and some were then taking people on tours. A few of the safari buses came earlier to pick people up from the beaches, but transportation got scarce around 2:30, so arrange for a driver to come back for you.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are asking about the "$2 bus" safaris, they are operating on the usual route. As long as there is plenty of room for locals needing a ride, I don't see any harm in using them--I'm sure a tip would be appreciated. They need the business as much as the more expensive taxis.

There are regular taxis that are safari type vehicles but also $2 bus safaris. The taxis will pick you up at the pier or at a beach, but the $2 bus has a set route following the main road. You have to make your way to and from a stop under your own power so only useful if you are trying to reach somewhere within walking distance of the route. It won't work for Magens bay or Drake's Seat but it is possible to use it for Coki Beach, Sapphire Beach, or even Secret Harbour if you are up for walking. If the vehicle is full of tourists it is a taxi, if full of local residents it's probably a $2 bus. Also, the taxis are often in better condition. If you want to make sure, ask.

Assuming that we are not taking up space that could used by local residents, we enjoy taking it and mingling with the real people of St. Thomas.