Ice caves in Juneau

tt_moore

I really want to see the ice caves at Mendenhall Glacier. Bucket list kinda thing. The hike portion is not an interest. Considering the 2 hr kayak (each way). However this girl from Arizona is not sure her tail feathers can handle the artic water for 2 hrs.

1. Is anyone aware of a helicopter tour that lands where you can then go onto the caves?

2. What companies for either helicopter (if thats an option) or kayak tour companies for the ice caves.

*I know its not even a guarantee you get to go to the ice caves.

Thanks!

I was originally looking into Liquid Alaska Tours for a kayak/ice caves tour. However, I just inquired about the ice caves with Liquid Alaska Tours and this was their response:

"Thank you for reaching out to us. We'll provide the same guidance for you as we have to all our currently booked guests, insofar that any ice cave exploration has been halted for the indefinite future. It was never a main focus of our excursion, and the safety margins are now too thin to risk any exposure to injury. We focus on learning about and exploring the glacier from the water and surface during our paddle and hike in the Mendenhall Glacier National Park. While interest in seeing ice caves remains strong due to a persistent social media presence, the photographs shown online are from a cave system that no longer exists due to collapse and melt. Please let us know if you have any other questions."

I'm interested to see what others share. I also really wanted to see the ice caves for our trip to Alaska in August, so I'm hoping there's still a chance.

I have seen helicopter tours with glacier landings, but not sure I've seen ones that specifically highlight ice caves. Although it may be a moot point. I am booked on a paddle and glacier tour through Above and Beyond Alaska and someone asked on their Facebook page about ice caves this year and they responded a few days ago saying currently there are no ice caves, but they are always on the lookout for them forming.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if i would be able to do the ice cave tour 7:15am -12:45pm then get to my ship for a tracy arm fjord cruise that starts at 1:30pm. I privet booked the ice cave with liquidalaskatour and have the tracy arm fjord booked through the Norwegian Bliss.

Does anyone know if i would be able to do the ice cave tour 7:15am -12:45pm then get to my ship for a tracy arm fjord cruise that starts at 1:30pm. I privet booked the ice cave with liquidalaskatour and have the tracy arm fjord booked through the Norwegian Bliss.

Just came back, caves are completely collapsed, rock is now showing.

That is hard to say.

For us we hiked out and then hiked across the glacier, it was an incredible experience to us.

We did see the big canoes come up and beach, they took their groups in a very controlled walk around the area of the ice caves. You DO get to walk on the glacier and take some pretty cool pictures.

Have been reading online that caves aren’t there as they collapsed. Shame I’d have loved to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Definitely collapsed. I expect that unless there is a surge Mendenhall will be a terrestrial glacier soon based on the rock exposed from the cave's collapse.