Silver Whisper- Novia Scotia -New England 9-30-05

DrJW

Have sailed on the Whisper before to So. Carribean.....great experience!

Last time we had a mid ship veranda, this time only vista's were open. Anyone go on Vista ...any thoughts about those on Deck 4 vs. Deck 5?

Anyone else going on this cruise. Has any one else previously done this 'Fall Foliage cruise'? How cool is it re: weather? clothes necessary?

Thanks for your input!

JW

The deck 5 vistas would be like midship verandahs with a shared balcony (and they are indeed midship). So if you don't mind a slight loss in privacy (your neighbours can walk on the shared balcony and look inside though it may not be polite to do so), these suites offer you fresh sea air (door openable) and the rhythm of the waves below (in fact they are right opposite to midship verandahs just across the aisle corridor). It is the most convenient location on the ship (next to the boutique shops).

As for the deck 4 vistas, we found them alright, but of course the window is not openable. Also, you have to go up one deck to deck 5 and then back down one deck to deck 4 at the other end to get to the Restaurant. They are a little inconvenient, yet still of great value, being 20% cheaper than the regular verandahs and 25% cheaper than the midship verandahs.

The weather in Atlantic Canada in September is beginning to get cool, unless it happens to be "Indian Summer", a week or two of warm currents before it gets really cold. Figure about 60*F, and the leaves turn red. If you are a photographer, you may want to take pictures on an open deck, rather than through your unopenable window if you are in a deck 4 vista.

I went Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale, 10/16 thru 10/30 (or thereabouts) in 2004. The weather was comfortable, imo. I wore sweaters typically, and on occasion also wore a Burberry short raincoat. On the coldest days a turtleneck, thick cashmere sweater and the raincoat with/which I unstylishly used the hood. This was in northern Canada. Weather varies though. I recommend taking layers, which you can use accordingly. I felt we were just a bit late for fall foliage. Though we still had it, it was on the descent. Your timing might be better. Weather got pool-like a bit below Charleston. There were only a couple days where I wanted to sit out for sun. It was temperate enough where I would wear a short sleeve shirt and read a book or work on my laptop though.

I am not sure where in New England your cruise will take you... however I have lived in New England all my life, I can say for certain that you will be thrilled with our fall foilage.... Nothing can compare to its beauty...

We also do take full advantage of the summer season and warmer weather. I suppose if you are from warmer parts, September in New Englnad can be considered chilly. We however are still wearing shorts in September, with perhaps a light sweater.. Certainly not sunbathing weather, but really quite comfortable..

If I can offer any New England advise, do feel free to ask away

Janet

Archived