New York for Thanksgiving

*helena*

On Explorers Caribbean 26th Nov & are having 3 nights pre-cruise in NY. Wondering how long the thanksgiving parade lasts & if the streets/avenues are closed off, we want to do all the touristy things & time being precious am worried that we'll be halted in our tracks for hours. Hoping to catch a broadway show (lion king) will the theatres & shops be open on thanksgiving since its a public holiday?? Any info/suggestions would be much appreciated

I'll be on the same cruise with you and getting to NY from L.A. on Wednesday. NY is my home town so maybe I can help a bit. First of all, if you are there Wednesday night take a trip up to 81st st and Cnetral Park West after 8pm and you'll see the balloons being blown up and the parade being put into place. Lots of fun. The Macy's parade is a very long one that goes from 81st and CPW to 30th street and Broadway. It's a morning parade that lasts from 8am to 1pm. If you are trying to get across town (east to west) between those streets - the best way is to go on foot or taking the subway at 42nd or 59th streets. If you are staying east of Bway, you will have no problem at all getting around. Thanksgiving Day in the city is fairly quiet but most everything is open for shopping. Make sure you walk over to Rockefeller Center (50th and 6th) to see the tree and you may want to take in the Christmas show at Radio City. I hope you already have your tickets for Lion King. If not, you chances are zero to none but there are several wonderful shows on Bway and some may be available at the 1/2 price TKTS booth (cash only) at 47th and Bway. After the show, pop into Sardi's (44th between 8th and Bway) for dinner - always a fun place for dinner, reasonable prices and to see and be seen. On Friday, take a trip down to the Wall St area - which will be a ghost town and see the Federal Building, Stock exchange, Trinity church and then take a free ride on the Staten Island Ferry for some great harbor views. Then on Saturday go to 48th and 12th and we'll go to the Caribbean. Cya on board. Jim

Hi Jim, a BIG thanks for all the info & advice. We arrive at Newark Wed 23rd at 12noon local time & are staying at Sheraton New York & Towers (booked through Cunard) which I believe is on 7th Ave between 52/53 street. Have printed off your reply & will be using your 'inside information'! Wondering what the christmas show at radio city entails? Am gutted about the 'lion king' comment - ooops...no we havn't got tickets, was presuming we could waltz down & pick em up no probs, might have to go to plan B (when we decide what plan B is!). We intend to go up Empire State Building (weather permitting), see Concorde, staten island ferry & the place where the immigrants came in (ellis island?) & see as many landmarks etc., as possible, plus shop till we drop & eat/drink in as many hostelries as poss, it'll be a hectic 2 1/2 days - should be fully relaxed (not) by the time we get 48th & 12th!!

Will be on deck with our friends, one of em being David (casafate) & will be taking tumblers for the Dom Pom!!

Cheers Helena:) :)

I love showing people around my hometown even if it's just to give advice on a message board. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news about Lion King. You maybe be able to get a cancellation but it's a long shot. LK is THE most sought after show along with Wicked and Spamalot in NY and Thanksgiving weekend is the busiest theatre week of the year. Go to www.Broadway.com or www.theatermania.com and look for tickets there. They sometimes have some seats for the big hits and they even have discount seats for some other shows. But whatever show you want, I would book ahead. Radio City has a website and they will give you lots of info about the Christmas show. They also give backstage tours for $12-15 and you get to stand on the great stage. A real NY bargain. After Theatre, go down to Sheridan Square to Maria's Crisis for the piano bar where all the actors go and sing their hearts out after their own shows. No cover. Just buy a drink. The Sheraton is perfect - great location. I did this same cruise last year and it was lotsa fun. David and I have crossed post. I have a tumbler. HINT! J.

Hi Jim, have decided on plan B (if no joy with lion king) it will be Maria's Crisis piano bar, sounds good to us, nice 1, enjoy a late night drink, thats wed or thurs night sorted. Will be in touch re the sail out & the tumbler situation, thinking now a pitcher! Cya there

Cheers Helena :)

If I may...NYC will be dressed in its Christmas finest when you are here. The shop windows are spectacular - Saks & Lord & Taylor have the best -Bergdorf Goodman has my favorite non traditional display. BUt Cartier, Tiffany Ferragamo.....fa la la

I live a block away from Marie Crisis.....the Sheraton is a good hotel in a great area to get to the sites.

do go & see the balloons get blown up the nite before - great fun - the Museum of Natural History is there.

At Maries Crisis - Joan Rivers tries new material there...also on Grove Street -one block away there are a couple of jazz clubs that are great.

The Metroplolitan Museum will have its most beautiful Christamas Tree up & have concerts.

The parade shouldn't be a problem - thanks to television - its kept on a timetable & clears out quickly. Santa arrives at Macys at the end of the parade at noon. It usually begins at 9 am at 80 th street.

Have a wonderful time - the sea days will help you rest up afterwards!

Thanks Rotterdam, taking all this info on board (so to speak), The balloons at CP & Marie Crisis are now definately a definate! There's not going to be enough hours in the day by the looks of things, roll on Nov... Cheers Helena:)

Don't give up on Lion King. My husband and I travel quite often to NYC and we decided to spend Thanksgiving there last year. We had absolutely no problems getting tickets via internet ticketmaster (I think) or a similar accepted ticket agent. We did not over pay and our seats though quite far away were perfect for this production.

Thanks Pisces1, havnt given up on lion king but am reluctant to book ahead as we only have 3 nights, looks like its only on on 2 of them (no show thanksgiving night), so will try to book it 'on the day' & if its meant to be......Helena:)

Archived