Radiance of the Seas - deck/pool side BBQs - anyone do that?

Hi there

My husband and I are looking at doing an 'over the top' cruise late this year or early next year.

At this stage it looks like Radiance of the Seas.

He is OK with the idea, although not as keen as me and I was hoping some experienced Aussie/Kiwi cruisers could help me out with a couple of questions, as I haven't been able to find this info anywhere:

We cruised as a young couple over 10 years ago on Norwegian Star when she was based here (anyone remember that?). My husband's stand-out memory is the fabulous deck BBQ they had every day, cooking in this enormous Weber type bbq. I was wondering if there is anything similar on any of the ships that cruise out of Australia (obviously keen to know about Radiance, but interested to know if anyone else does it). I know some do it as a one-off, but he LOVED it and is admant he will only go on a cruise where this is offered.

Also, very interested in any feedback on Radiance in general. We are travelling with a 4yo and a 1yo, so any family-oriented tips would be great.

I must admit I am a bit disappointed about limited options when booking staterooms with kids - my two are not ready for bunk/pullman style beds so to get the best bed configuration for our needs we need to go up a category which means more $$.

Thanks so much - my first post, so apologies if its rambling or its not quite the right spot.

We did the top end in February and they did have the pool-side BBQ's at least once on a sea day - probably more. We remember more than one, but we also did the second cruise out of Perth, so can't be sure how many were on which cruise. They were quite popular, the food was great - only problem was finding a place to sit to eat on the days we were there. You can get your food at the BBQ, then take it inside to sit in the Windjammer or the Boardwalk Dog House. Sorry - had no kids with us so can't answer those questions. There were many Australians on board, so someone should be able to answer!

Hi there

My husband and I are looking at doing an 'over the top' cruise late this year or early next year.

At this stage it looks like Radiance of the Seas.

He is OK with the idea, although not as keen as me and I was hoping some experienced Aussie/Kiwi cruisers could help me out with a couple of questions, as I haven't been able to find this info anywhere:

We cruised as a young couple over 10 years ago on Norwegian Star when she was based here (anyone remember that?). My husband's stand-out memory is the fabulous deck BBQ they had every day, cooking in this enormous Weber type bbq. I was wondering if there is anything similar on any of the ships that cruise out of Australia (obviously keen to know about Radiance, but interested to know if anyone else does it). I know some do it as a one-off, but he LOVED it and is admant he will only go on a cruise where this is offered.

Also, very interested in any feedback on Radiance in general. We are travelling with a 4yo and a 1yo, so any family-oriented tips would be great.

I must admit I am a bit disappointed about limited options when booking staterooms with kids - my two are not ready for bunk/pullman style beds so to get the best bed configuration for our needs we need to go up a category which means more $$.

Thanks so much - my first post, so apologies if its rambling or its not quite the right spot.

Hi

I remember the norwegian star well...We did the top end cruise on radiance in feb.....yep they did have BBQ on sea days.The ship will blow you away it truely is a great ship....i loved the golf putt putt and the solarium pool with its african theme and great food in the park cafe in the solarium.its a big ship and there is plenty to do..

Col

The Radiance had great BBQ's on sea days. The marinated chicken and spare ribs were delicious. Lots of salads and make your own burgers.

There was a kid's club and they have different sections for certain age groups. There were quite a lot of kids and I know of one couple that said their child wanted to stay in the kids club intead of being with them. She was 4 years old.

Yep deck bbq awesome. Enjoyed it heaps. We never really had a problem getting deck chairs because we mostly wanted them in the shade. Two chairs was usually enough because the kids were always in the water with at least one of the grown ups with them (we were a big group). The kids pool is excellent but limited seating so get in early I would suggest. Although we managed to get a couple of chairs there as well when we needed them. It was most popular during the water slide opening hours, others times not a drama getting a chair (we went in summer school hols so heaps and heaps of kids). I would suggest you take long sleaved rash shirts if you are going in the summer months. We spent a lot (basically all) of time in the sun, next cruise it will be a must.

Radiance is a beautiful ship, heaps to do, we all had a ball. Wish I was back on her now.

Leah

Yep deck bbq awesome. Enjoyed it heaps. We never really had a problem getting deck chairs because we mostly wanted them in the shade. Two chairs was usually enough because the kids were always in the water with at least one of the grown ups with them (we were a big group). The kids pool is excellent but limited seating so get in early I would suggest. Although we managed to get a couple of chairs there as well when we needed them. It was most popular during the water slide opening hours, others times not a drama getting a chair (we went in summer school hols so heaps and heaps of kids). I would suggest you take long sleaved rash shirts if you are going in the summer months. We spent a lot (basically all) of time in the sun, next cruise it will be a must.

Radiance is a beautiful ship, heaps to do, we all had a ball. Wish I was back on her now.

Leah

yep i agree great ship radiance

You wont go wrong with the Radiance!! an amazing ship and will definitely cruise on her again!!!

regards

Pete & Rose:D

What a good idea guys......we booked Rhapsody november 2013.might do a sneaky cruise in between nov 12 and nov 2013...perhaps up the qld coast again .i like those cruises......could get away with saying its for Di,s birthday...they dont cakll me the Fox for nothing.

keep well guys

Archived