Sea Glass beaches

Setting Sail Gal

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know of a beach, but there is a lady who sits Darsenas Square (head to the left out of the pier and walk towards La Princesa) who sells handmade sea glass jewelry at very good prices. She is there when a ship is in port. You can find her on Facebook. Look for : Natimar - Sea Glass Jewelry.

I will be stopping in Puerto Rico and I would like to find some sea glass. Does anyone know if a particular beach is the best? Thank you for any information.

YES!!! Check the tide charts, it is best to go about 2 hours before low tide. There are a set of stairs across the street from the Capital building. Go down the stairs. You can head left or right once down to find glass. We have always found lots of it. Usually we have gone left, you can go right as well though. We have gone all the way to the ruins on the right. We found more pottery in that direction (but still plenty of glass as well) but we only went that way the last time we went. I love cruising out of PR so I am able to go to this beach and get some glass for my collection!

YES!!! Check the tide charts, it is best to go about 2 hours before low tide. There are a set of stairs across the street from the Capital building. Go down the stairs. You can head left or right once down to find glass. We have always found lots of it. Usually we have gone left, you can go right as well though. We have gone all the way to the ruins on the right. We found more pottery in that direction (but still plenty of glass as well) but we only went that way the last time we went. I love cruising out of PR so I am able to go to this beach and get some glass for my collection!

What do you do with your glass? I make window mosiacs. I found so much last cruise in the Bahamas. I would love to see others collections

What do you do with your glass? I make window mosiacs. I found so much last cruise in the Bahamas. I would love to see others collections

Sadly, right now it sits in glass jars in my dining room. I have wrapped a few pieces to wear and have made a picture as a gift. I have TONS of ideas, but with having three teens at home that are year round athletes and another in college and very involved with them and their school I don't have much time to play. Soon enough....so now I just use it as therapy. My best friend and I head up to Lake Michigan a couple of times a year to hunt for it as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just looked into this beach for gathering some sea glass and it does come with some warnings. It’s not in the safest of areas and there are some homeless living in the shrubs. You should not go there alone, always have someone paying attention to the surroundings, and do not take any valuables.

These warnings were pre-hurricane. I would be even more cautious post-hurricane as there are some very desperate people right now on the island.

I’ve decided not to go there as it is just my 11 y/o and I, but if you do go, please be careful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just looked into this beach for gathering some sea glass and it does come with some warnings. It’s not in the safest of areas and there are some homeless living in the shrubs. You should not go there alone, always have someone paying attention to the surroundings, and do not take any valuables.

These warnings were pre-hurricane. I would be even more cautious post-hurricane as there are some very desperate people right now on the island.

I’ve decided not to go there as it is just my 11 y/o and I, but if you do go, please be careful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have gone two times, once post hurricane. I haven't ever seen homeless people in any shrubs. You do have to walk through part of the town with locals hanging around but we have never had any issues going with my husband and I. We were sure not to take valuables and to stay aware. If it were just me and a younger child, I would probably skip it but we didn't have any issues either time. It is along the water and not a real far walk, maybe 5-10 mintues. Some of the locals aren't what you are used to as some of the fancier islands, they have always left us alone.

Be very, very careful with this "beach". It is a place that is not easily visible from the street and you can expect security from police to be non-existent. The place is locally known to be a gathering place for homeless and/or addicts. Some times they are there, sometimes they're not. So do this at your own risk. It is well known for the sea glass but if you visit, take the risk into consideration.

• 1 month later...

We just stopped at SJU (4/15/18). The beach behind the capitol building was loaded with glass. From the port look to the right for the domed building, that is the capitol. It's only a 10-15 minute walk from the pier. Walk straight up two blocks then turn right and go four blocks. It's an easy walk. There were some locals on the beach, we never felt threatened or unsafe. We filled two gallon ziplock bags in about two hours. Lots of large pieces, many colors (white, brown, green, blue, purple, amber, also china).