Livorno taxi

simonv

Rather than booking a car, I'd like to take a taxi from Livorno to Lucca. Has anybody done this? Are there plenty of taxis at the dock in Livorno? How much does it cost to Lucca? Can I count on getting a taxi from Lucca or should I get Livorno taxi for a round trip?

I don't know about Lucca. However, when we were in Italy last April aboard the Oceania Regatta, there were plenty of taxis (minivans) at Livorno dockside (going to Florence and/or Pissa). Hiring one for a whole day cost 220-250 euros (you can bargain with them, and with two people, that was what they charged). With six people (the maximum capacity of the van), they would "stiffen up" and demand 300-350 euros. Taxi drivers are realistic and savvy, just don't be afraid to bargain, and you can test whether they speak workable English while doing so! Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

We hired a taxi last year to go from Livorno to Lucca and to Collodi (returned thru a beautiful area of Tuscany). Plenty of taxi's and you can bargain, I don't remember what we paid (3 adults) but I think it was about 100 euros. Actually, the taxi drivers seemed to like the idea of having a fare for an extended period of time! One plus with a cab in Lucca - it is a walled city and regular traffic is not allowed, however, the taxi WAS permitted to drive into the city. He brought us to the middle of the town and we spent a couple of hours just walking around. It is really beautiful!

Archived