We're Panama Canal bound! Got questions?

melissa@cruisecritic

Hi everyone,

I am onboard Holland America's Zuiderdam this week headed for the Panama Canal. It's my first time doing this itinerary. I am fascinated by the construction of the canal and am looking forward to the partial transit (then further exploration of the locks via a shore tour) -- as well as a meet and greet tomorrow with my new friends from the roll call! We're also visiting Aruba, Curacao and Puerto Limon, Costa Rica.

If you have questions about the Panama Canal, the ports of call, the ship or anything else related to the cruise, just post them here; I'm glad to answer as many as I can -- Internet connection permitting. I will be onboard until December 9; we enter the canal on December 5.

Melissa

Melissa...thanks for taking the time to post..we will be doing the Panama Canal..partial transit in Feb..Wondering what shore tour you are doing in Colon as we are also interested in seeing as much of the locks as we can. We are thinking of doing the ferry so we can actually experience the canal, rather than the train. Please let us know what you did and your thoughts. Have a great cruise..

Emmy

Hi MEOWSMURPHY,

That was exactly my thinking; I booked this tour because I want to get as much out of the actual canal experience as I can. We are disembarking the ship in Gatun Lake for the tour (Holland America-sponsored), and taking a bus ride (about 2 hours) to Gamboa, where we'll board a smaller tour boat for an other partial transit of the locks. It's a long tour -- 7 hours in total -- and that is on Friday so I'll be sure to post about it once we are back onboard!

Melissa...thanks for taking the time to post..we will be doing the Panama Canal..partial transit in Feb..Wondering what shore tour you are doing in Colon as we are also interested in seeing as much of the locks as we can. We are thinking of doing the ferry so we can actually experience the canal, rather than the train. Please let us know what you did and your thoughts. Have a great cruise..

Emmy

Hi everyone, we are on our second full sea day today (our call at Half Moon Cay was, sadly, canceled due to rough seas -- but looking out there, I can understand why!).

There was also a small electrical fire last night in a machine room electrical cabinet; the whole ordeal was over in 10 minutes and it didn't affect any passenger cabins or public spaces, though people in the surrounding cabins were evacuated as a precaution (then sent right back). I've never been onboard a ship during this type of situation and I have to say it was handled quickly and professionally. The cruise director came on the PA every few minutes with an update. My brother, who's traveling with me, was on his way down to meet me in the Queens Lounge at the time and said that the fire crew were racing up the stairs with all matter of equipment. A couple of people didn't hear the message instructing passengers to stay where they were and not to worry, and so some showed up on deck in robes and life vests, but otherwise the show went on, literally -- I was watching the karaoke tryouts at the time and nobody left. Ironically, when the alarm went off the couple on stage was singing "Ring of Fire"....I swear, I could not make that up. Oh, and let me tell you that Holland America passengers rock out at karaoke!

Will continue to post from the ship, so keep sharing your questions!

Hi Melissa...

Sounds like you are having a great time and not letting "the things you have no control over" upsetting you...only way to go IMHO..it sounds like we are doing the same kind of tour in Feb..here are some of the highlights

• Arrive at the Colon 2000 terminal and board a bus to the Balboa Pier at the Pacific Coast.
  • Board a large ferry that will transport you through the Panama Canal.
  • View this great accomplishment from open areas on board the ferry.
  • Go through the Miraflores Locks and Lake.
  • Pass through the Pedro Miguel locks and onto Gaylord Cut.
  • Cross the Continental Divide.
  • Enjoy the ecological wonders of the area.
  • Travel to the city of Gamboa and the dredging division of the Canal.
  • See the largest floating crane.

I am soooo excited to do this excursion...the Panama Canal is on my "bucket list" and I can't wait to cross that one off and move on to the next adventure :D

Will eagerly await your next post...

Emmy

My wife and I will be taking this same cruise beginning next Tuesday, the 9th of December, and we look forward to reading everything you post. Have you heard whether there will be a ship building contest on board; we're planning to have one next cruise. Have a fantastic cruise!!

Thank you! I will be writing a brand-new review of the ship with insights on my particular sailing; look for that in December -- so far I am really enjoying the trip and I have to say that the crew has been phenomenal in particular.

Hi Melissa,

We are doing the same cruise at the end of March. Will you be posting a complete review of your cruise? We will be looking forward to that. Have a great cruise.

Steve & Bev

I will ask about the ship building contest!

My wife and I will be taking this same cruise beginning next Tuesday, the 9th of December, and we look forward to reading everything you post. Have you heard whether there will be a ship building contest on board; we're planning to have one next cruise. Have a fantastic cruise!!

...on Holland America SS Rotterdam.

I'm interested in any information about shore excursions which you may find out about, esp. disembarking at Gatun Lake.

Are there private outfits at Gatun Lake? The HA tours tend to be pricey.

Thanks.

We will also be visiting Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, and Puerto Limon. I'm looking into a private tour outfit in Puerto Limon, but would be interested in your perspective.

Do you stop at Half Moon Cay, too? Any thoughts about the cabanas?

Melissa, we are on the next cruise (with WillieBill and DW). As you will be experiencing the Canal- What times do/did you get to the Miraflores Locks? And, to Balboa? With the web cam at the Miraflores Locks, it would be nice to capture the moment!

Are you in fixed dining or Anyway You Wish? How did it compare? What is the best way to plan your dining experience for AYW?

We had a very long port call today -- 7 a.m. until 11 p.m. -- due in part to the fact that our last stop, Half Moon Cay, was canceled due to high winds and rough seas. Without that day ashore, we were able to reach Aruba early (and, as an added bonus, stay later).

Because I've been to Aruba before, we decided today would be our day of doing nothing -- or at least doing things spontaneously. My brother and I caught the local bus across the street from the pier ($2.30 roundtrip, much more cost efficient than a $14 cab, and nearly as convenient) to Palm Beach.

We had talked about snorkeling during the day and then having dinner ashore at night, but we switched our plans up a little bit and instead took a snorkel cruise from a private operator in the late afternoon/early evening ... and had a late lunch at the Pelican Grill on the beach just beforehand. The ambience at the Pelican Grill was fun -- it's set on a pier above the water. The tropical ceviche was particularly tasty (fried calamari just OK). I got some great restaurant recommendations over on the Aruba forum, though, and I have stored those away for the next time I'm in port for dinner :)

It was a crazy day of hot blazing sun mixed with torrential rain. Luckily, the sun was back out in time for our snorkel tour, the highlight of which was the wreck of the Antilla, a WWII ship.

Tomorrow we are in Curacao...

Answers to your questions coming up asap!

Hi! I know that "Canal day" begins at the ungodly hour of 5 a.m. local time -- not my cup of tea generally to wake up that early, but I of course wouldn't miss this! Therefore, I'm planning on turning in QUITE early the night before (thankfully its a sea day).

As for the schedule of timing for the specific locks, let me see what I can find out for you. So far I know that we enter the canal at 5 and reach Gatun Lake at 9; the ship departs Gatun Lake at 1 and arrives in Colon at 3 -- then departs again at 7 en route to Costa Rica.

I am on fixed dining, late seating. The Anytime Dining guests are able to make reservations up until 4 p.m. for specific time slots (5:30, 5:45, 6, 8, 8:30, 9) or walk in anytime between 5:30 and 9:30 to request availability. I've met a great couple on this cruise that I know has chosen Anytime Dining, so we'll compare "notes" and I will report back on the pros, cons, etc.!

Melissa, we are on the next cruise (with WillieBill and DW). As you will be experiencing the Canal- What times do/did you get to the Miraflores Locks? And, to Balboa? With the web cam at the Miraflores Locks, it would be nice to capture the moment!

Are you in fixed dining or Anyway You Wish? How did it compare? What is the best way to plan your dining experience for AYW?

Thanks for your question. Just tonight I ran across an ice carving demo under the stars on the lido deck, which was packed. But so far I've been most impressed by the passenger participation events! The turnout at the karaoke competition tryouts was staggering -- the lounge was standing room only -- and the pool games were very well attended, too.

As for what's offered, here's a snapshot from yesterday, which was a sea day:

Four fitness classes (three with an $11 upcharge)

Walk-a-mile

Trivia with Cruise Director Johnny (Dam Dollars event)

Golfing (Dam Dollars event)

Seafood cooking demonstration in the Culinary Arts Center

Bingo (twice)

Art auction preview

Line Dancing 101 with DJ Matt (Dam Dollars event)

Bridge/card games (non-hosted)

Wine tasting ($15)

Royal Dutch Tea

A travel lecture on Panama and Puerto Limon

Martini mixology ($15)

At night, the entertainment was a 50's and 60's rock and roll party in the Queen's Lounge, a production show in the main theater, a Frank Sinatra sing-along in the Piano Bar, and the requisite dancing in the night club. Friends of Bill W. meet daily. On this particular day, there was also a two-hour free rum punch party at the aft pool, to make up for the missed port -- a generous gesture that I thought was just a lovely touch. In short (too late for that, right?), the roster of activities has seemed pretty full to me.

I know that there's been a lot of discussion here on Cruise Critic of late about Holland America's activities program and whether it, or staffing, has been cut back. Holland America informed us back in October that while nobody was getting the axe, the responsibilities and titles of activity staffers were being restructured: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2869.

I'm watching this aspect of the cruise carefully. So far, the bullet points in the above story hold true on this sailing -- the Cruise Director seems to be in 10 places at once (and even got me up in a conga line), a travel guide presides over the lectures (such as the one I mentioned above), and a party planner (on this ship, a bubbly woman named Kelly) handles events in the Culinary Arts Center as well as things like martini mixing. I will be stopping by various events throughout the cruise to meet some of the other "new" folks and will keep you posted on what I'm seeing ... and hearing.

I am curious about the entertainment and ship day activities - I'll be on board in February.

Sharon

Hi mendicant98,

What we've been told is that only passengers booked on HAL excursions may disembark in Gatun Lake; otherwise, folks have to remain onboard until Colon -- at which point, they can disembark no matter what. I will see what's what ashore there and report back to you. Same for Curacao tomorrow and Puerto Limon later in the week!

I have chosen to do a HAL tour in Puerto Limon, Costa Rica because I want to kayak -- and because it's my first time to the port, I personally feel more comfortable leaving the planning of that type of activity to the cruise line (whereas today in Aruba, which I've visited before, I absolutely booked an independent snorkeling catamaran).

This itinerary does include Half Moon Cay -- but we were unable to tender in unfortunately because of really rough seas, and the captain decided we should set course for Aruba instead as the conditions were not expected to change. I saw the crew coming back (they'd made it ashore earlier to start setting up), and it was clear that the captain made the right decision -- their trek looked really rough.

It would have been my first time there, so I don't have any previous experience to share about the island or the value-for-money on the cabanas, but many of the cruisers I've met consider it the nicest of the private islands they've been to, and I do know that the cabanas sell out quickly!

I'm interested in any information about shore excursions which you may find out about, esp. disembarking at Gatun Lake.

Thanks.

We will also be visiting Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, and Puerto Limon. I'm looking into a private tour outfit in Puerto Limon, but would be interested in your perspective.

Thanks.

Hello!

We are on the same cruise, departing at 12/23. There is a Roll Call on the HAL Rotterdam Board. Would you like to join in?

I arranged private tours in every port except Aruba. I am not sure what to do in Panama. The ship sponsored tours are really pricey.

See you in less than 3 weeks:).

It´s chilly in Germany and we are really looking forward to our holiday cruise.

Hi! I know that "Canal day" begins at the ungodly hour of 5 a.m. local time -- not my cup of tea generally to wake up that early, but I of course wouldn't miss this! Therefore, I'm planning on turning in QUITE early the night before (thankfully its a sea day).

As for the schedule of timing for the specific locks, let me see what I can find out for you. So far I know that we enter the canal at 5 and reach Gatun Lake at 9; the ship departs Gatun Lake at 1 and arrives in Colon at 3 -- then departs again at 7 en route to Costa Rica.

I am on fixed dining, late seating. The Anytime Dining guests are able to make reservations up until 4 p.m. for specific time slots (5:30, 5:45, 6, 8, 8:30, 9) or walk in anytime between 5:30 and 9:30 to request availability. I've met a great couple on this cruise that I know has chosen Anytime Dining, so we'll compare "notes" and I will report back on the pros, cons, etc.!

Melissa, thanks for posting responses to my questions. I was able to capture the ist sailing of this Intinerary on Nov. 15 on the November 14 th posting, which was in the Gatun Locks about 7:30 ish, but should be watching by 7 a.m. for those who are interested. I'll be watching for you...If those who are on the As You Wish have favorite servers or tables they liked, that would be good info as well.

When do they serve the Chef Masters dinner? Thanks!

Hi everyone!

The Internet was very slow last night so I was unable to post, but it's much better now so here goes. Firstly, thanks again for all the great questions -- if I haven't answered yours yet, rest assured I haven't forgotten you and will continue to post here throughout the week.

We were in Curacao yesterday and had the best time. The dolphin swim, a tour we booked through HAL that took us the aquarium, was incredible. It was my first time -- but some of the folks I spoke to said the program in Curacao was far superior to that on other islands. Only six people go in the water at a time, so you get to really interact with the two dolphins that are in there, too. You get a full half hour with them, and not only do you get to touch them but you also get to play with them. The staff teaches you the hand signals to get the dolphins to kiss you, splash you, sing, spin around in the air, and even take you for a ride (you grab onto the dorsal fins, one on each side!). My brother, who is stoic in photographs, finally cracked a smile for the camera.

Then we walked around the Willemstad, which reminds me in a way of South America, because it is both Latin and European in feel. There's this neat drawbridge that connects the side of town the ships dock at to the bustling waterfront across the way -- it doesn't separate in the middle and move upward, rather it detaches from one side and swings across the body of water to come parallel to the other. When the bridge is open for ship traffic, a free ferry shuttles people back and forth.

For those who asked about exploring independently, there were a few local operators at the pier offering tours of the island -- but I'd recommend doing research ahead of time and securing a reservation if you are looking for something specific, as you may not be able to book on the fly.

We are at sea today. I attended a cooking demonstration this morning and learned how to make two chilled soups -- raspberry and sour cherry. I think the sour cherry might make an appearance at the holidays, as the color is just so rich and bright.

Tomorrow's the big morning: 5 a.m. Canal entry!

Archived