Sailing on the Dream in December - Weather?

linda513

I have been on a few cruises, a couple out of Florida, one out of NY in the summer, and last year on the Carnival Pride in November from Baltimore. On that cruise, it was cold most of the time because it takes a long time to get from Baltimore to Florida, and back again.

Now I am considering sailing on the Carnival Dream from New Orleans to the Western Caribbean next December. Can anyone tell me about the weather on sea days? Right now in NOLA it is about 60 degrees, which is much warmer than it is in Baltimore. But when does it get warm enough to sit by the pool - on the first day at sea? Second day at sea? Any help greatly appreciated.

I did a Western Cruise on the Victory out of Miami in January of 2015. At that time it was a blizzard in my home state of NJ and about 15 degrees outside. The weather in Miami was in the low 60's and that was warm enough to sit by the pool to us, comparing to what we just came from. But the sea days were very warm. Key West was chilly, but even then, still warm enough to swim. Cozumel was 85 degrees and hot!!

I guess it all depends on what you consider warm. Hope it helps!

Louisiana weather is highly unpredictable -- we had 3 inches of snow on 12/8 and it was 70 degrees on 12/11. We sailed on the Dream this past Thanksgiving, and it was warm enough to be outside by the second day. You just really never know what you are going to get!

I have been on a few cruises, a couple out of Florida, one out of NY in the summer, and last year on the Carnival Pride in November from Baltimore. On that cruise, it was cold most of the time because it takes a long time to get from Baltimore to Florida, and back again.

Now I am considering sailing on the Carnival Dream from New Orleans to the Western Caribbean next December. Can anyone tell me about the weather on sea days? Right now in NOLA it is about 60 degrees, which is much warmer than it is in Baltimore. But when does it get warm enough to sit by the pool - on the first day at sea? Second day at sea? Any help greatly appreciated.

It will be much better then Balt.

I did a Western Cruise on the Victory out of Miami in January of 2015. At that time it was a blizzard in my home state of NJ and about 15 degrees outside. The weather in Miami was in the low 60's and that was warm enough to sit by the pool to us, comparing to what we just came from. But the sea days were very warm. Key West was chilly, but even then, still warm enough to swim. Cozumel was 85 degrees and hot!!

I guess it all depends on what you consider warm. Hope it helps!

What does this have to do with New Orleans which was the OP's only question?

I don't have a weather crystal ball for December 2018 but can tell you once you leave home port of New Orleans (which is very unpredictable for December weather), that in my many years of cruising the Caribbean in winter, it is typical to experience more wind and cloud cover than is typical for summer months. Unless you're just really cold natured, you'll be fine in packing your usual summer clothes along with a hoodie or light jacket. But you might get lucky too and have smooth sailing with lots of sunshine. Wishing you the latter!

I don't have a weather crystal ball for December 2018 but can tell you once you leave home port of New Orleans (which is very unpredictable for December weather), that in my many years of cruising the Caribbean in winter, it is typical to experience more wind and cloud cover than is typical for summer months. Unless you're just really cold natured, you'll be fine in packing your usual summer clothes along with a hoodie or light jacket. But you might get lucky too and have smooth sailing with lots of sunshine. Wishing you the latter!

Thank you, this is good news. Last year sailing from Baltimore I was in my parka for a few days!

Louisiana weather is highly unpredictable -- we had 3 inches of snow on 12/8 and it was 70 degrees on 12/11. We sailed on the Dream this past Thanksgiving, and it was warm enough to be outside by the second day. You just really never know what you are going to get!

So true! I just got off the Dream today and the weather in NOLA pre-cruise was cold, windy and wet. Today in NOLA it’s still wet, but it’s about 70 degrees. All last week on the cruise, even the first sea day, it was warm (75 - 80 degrees) and sunny. Sat out by the aft pool every day. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums