Cozumel: Where to buy beer/wine close to port?

Captain Scruffy

The ship docks right at a shopping mall with more shopping along the street. I can't give you any specific places, but I'm sure there are some there. Cozumel is not a place to go off the beaten tourist track. It is totally safe to take a taxi from the port to one of the tourist spots, but renting a vehicle or walking outside of tourist areas is more risky than some other islands.

The ship docks right at a shopping mall with more shopping along the street. I can't give you any specific places' date=' but I'm sure there are some there. Cozumel is not a place to go off the beaten tourist track. It is totally safe to take a taxi from the port to one of the tourist spots, but renting a vehicle or walking outside of tourist areas is more risky than some other islands.[/quote']

Thanks for the heads up. We have an excursion booked through the ship. It's going in to the Yucatan (Chichen Itza). Are there any safety concerns I should know about? I'm sure it falls well into "tourist" area, right?

The liquor store is one of the first shops you run into from the pier, right before going up the escalator to cross the street to the Punta Langosta shopping area. I didn’t buy anything there, but liquor prices in Cozumel are overall pretty cheap .

Contrary to several reports concerning the state of Quintana Roo, Cozumel in general is still safe for tourists. We were there on a land vacation a few months ago. We have friends who live in Cozumel. We rented a Jeep and drove all over the island, including the residential/non tourist areas in the town of San Miguel, the mayan ruins of San Gervasio, as well as the off the beaten path side of the island, where there’s not even electricity or cellphone signal, but which has some of the most breathtaking and secluded beaches I’ve ever seen. With that said, always use common sense and take precautions, but don’t stop yourself short from enjoying this wonderful destination that has much more to offer than what’s right in the Port area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are no safety issues beyond what you'd experience anywhere on a DCL excursion or on your own to one of the standard tourist areas.

There have been more than a few reports of robbery and other violence against tourists who went off on their own. One of the worst was several years ago when a group of DCL CMs rented a jeep and went off for a day of fun. Unfortunately they were in an accident, and while critically injured, a group of locals stopped and robbed them. Not too surprising, I guess, when you see the poverty on the island, but still.....

I've traveled all over the world, and this is one of those places where I took the advisories seriously. In fairness, I don't speak Spanish, so I guess that could contribute to my discomfort. On the other hand, I've been many places where I spoke little or none of the language but was not uncomfortable or worried about safety.

There are no safety issues beyond what you'd experience anywhere on a DCL excursion or on your own to one of the standard tourist areas.

There have been more than a few reports of robbery and other violence against tourists who went off on their own. One of the worst was several years ago when a group of DCL CMs rented a jeep and went off for a day of fun. Unfortunately they were in an accident' date=' and while critically injured, a group of locals stopped and robbed them. Not too surprising, I guess, when you see the poverty on the island, but still.....

I've traveled all over the world, and this is one of those places where I took the advisories seriously. In fairness, I don't speak Spanish, so I guess that could contribute to my discomfort. On the other hand, I've been many places where I spoke little or none of the language but was not uncomfortable or worried about safety.[/quote']

Holy cow! Did the CMs make it out alive??

The ship docks right at a shopping mall with more shopping along the street. I can't give you any specific places' date=' but I'm sure there are some there. Cozumel is not a place to go off the beaten tourist track. It is totally safe to take a taxi from the port to one of the tourist spots, but renting a vehicle or walking outside of tourist areas is more risky than some other islands.[/quote']

I disagree-

We’ve rented a Jeep numerous times in Cozumel with no incident whatsoever. It is our preferred method of seeing the island. The quiet side of the island is amazing and there are beachfront restaurants that are in such beautiful locations...

Each to his own, but we never truly experienced Cozumel until we started renting Jeeps.

I guess it is all about perspective. My feeling is you are more at risk walking around Las Vegas after dark than Cozumel. I think the island is quit safe compared to other tourist destinations. Of course there is crime just like there is in your own home town. Just be aware of your surroundings and you will be fine.