Waterfalls question (Amber Cove)

lucy2mb

So easy! Roads were easy to navigate too.

The place we stopped for lunch was not fancy, a total local place, but that’s what we wanted. It was located right on the road to/from the falls.

We chose our fish, it was a sea bass, a whole fish cooked in coconut..our daughter had plantains and we ordered a couple of local rum drinks. So fun.

Pescaderia Los Primos, recommend by the guys at the rental car place.

The car rental was a National Alamo location, and they were really professional, helpful and friendly.

I hope you all do this, it really was so much fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How much was the car rental, and did you reserve it in advance?

How many hours were you in port? Are there alternate options for getting down when the jump is too high? Trying to decide if we have time for and if our 10 y/o can handle all 27.

How much was the car rental, and did you reserve it in advance?

How many hours were you in port? Are there alternate options for getting down when the jump is too high? Trying to decide if we have time for and if our 10 y/o can handle all 27.

I don't remember when we docked, but we had to be back by 4:30, and we did not get off the ship early. It takes about 20-25 minutes to drive there. Give 3.5 hours for the tour, and then drive back. We never were rushed.

We did not reserve the car beforehand, and it was $75 total. The guys there were super helpful, and it was a National / Alamo? I think.

There were several jumps, 2 which were pretty high. The higher one had a walk around if your daughter didn't want to do that one. My daughter needed some encouragement to jump it, but she did it and said she would do it again.

I hope that helps!

So easy! Roads were easy to navigate too.

The place we stopped for lunch was not fancy, a total local place, but that’s what we wanted. It was located right on the road to/from the falls.

We chose our fish, it was a sea bass, a whole fish cooked in coconut..our daughter had plantains and we ordered a couple of local rum drinks. So fun.

Pescaderia Los Primos, recommend by the guys at the rental car place.

The car rental was a National Alamo location, and they were really professional, helpful and friendly.

I hope you all do this, it really was so much fun!!

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't remember when we docked, but we had to be back by 4:30, and we did not get off the ship early. It takes about 20-25 minutes to drive there. Give 3.5 hours for the tour, and then drive back. We never were rushed.

We did not reserve the car beforehand, and it was $75 total. The guys there were super helpful, and it was a National / Alamo? I think.

There were several jumps, 2 which were pretty high. The higher one had a walk around if your daughter didn't want to do that one. My daughter needed some encouragement to jump it, but she did it and said she would do it again.

I hope that helps!

This is very helpful. Thank you. One quick follow up...You said that there were two that were pretty high but that you could walk around the higher one. Did you mean the higher ONE or higher ONES? Can you walk around both? My kids will love this, I’m certain. But one is afraid of heights and will demand to walk around.

Did this tour using Marysol independently , we ended up with two small busloads about 38 people total, got the whole fall for 45.00 , they ended up including a free buffet after we finished , would do again thru Marysol without worrying one bit.

Regardless of who you use make sure you remove earrings before going on this excursion or the helmet might cause you to lose one as my girlfriend did lol

Also the stairs descending to the first waterfall got real slippery about 2/3 the way down so make sure you and any kids hold railing good, one little girl slipped and fell and a middle aged women slipped and caught herself before falling but aggravated an old ankle injury and had to walk back out without even getting wet.

Did this tour using Marysol independently , we ended up with two small busloads about 38 people total, got the whole fall for 45.00 , they ended up including a free buffet after we finished , would do again thru Marysol without worrying one bit.

Regardless of who you use make sure you remove earrings before going on this excursion or the helmet might cause you to lose one as my girlfriend did lol

Also the stairs descending to the first waterfall got real slippery about 2/3 the way down so make sure you and any kids hold railing good, one little girl slipped and fell and a middle aged women slipped and caught herself before falling but aggravated an old ankle injury and had to walk back out without even getting wet.

Wow that's a great price to include lunch. So the company you went through is called "Marysol"? Did you book ahead of time with them?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2282717

Hopefully that brings you to the thread where we did this, I believe it is around the 220 mark where the final price and instructions were , yes we did this in advance and we talked on our roll calls and got a bunch of people to do it, I was a joiner on this not an organizer but it was all done by email and phone in advance . I had my waterproof camera with me and could post some pictures and videos if there is an interest.

Edited by DiverJohn
Wrong number

• 3 weeks later...
We will be there next month and planning on doing exactly what you are. One thing I have read is that is go you out of the gates, you can get taxi's for much less expensive and they will stay with you for the day. Either way, this is much better than booking a tour.

I would also love to hear from others who have done this.

Did you already cruise and do this?:)

We sure did, best day of our vacation! We ended up renting a car, it was less expensive and super easy! I am happy to answer any questions you may have. ;)

I'm so glad to hear you had a wonderful time! I know a lot of people from our cruise are booking this through the ship and Iguana Mama. I think if we take a taxi we would beat the crowds. How long did it take to rent the car? I heard the taxi was $100 flat fee for the roundtrip and they stay with you and stop other places if you want. Thanks for your help.

I'm so glad to hear you had a wonderful time! I know a lot of people from our cruise are booking this through the ship and Iguana Mama. I think if we take a taxi we would beat the crowds. How long did it take to rent the car? I heard the taxi was $100 flat fee for the roundtrip and they stay with you and stop other places if you want. Thanks for your help.

Usually if you book through the ship, they only do the bottom Falls (maybe 7-14?). I highly recommend doing the 27, it is really amazing.

Renting the car was super easy and fast once we decided that’s what we were going to do. it was $75 total, better than than $100 plus tip. 👍🏼😃

We had time to stop at a local fish restaurant after too. Either way, I hope you have a wonderful time!

• 4 weeks later...
Usually if you book through the ship, they only do the bottom Falls (maybe 7-14?). I highly recommend doing the 27, it is really amazing.

Renting the car was super easy and fast once we decided that’s what we were going to do. it was $75 total, better than than $100 plus tip. 👍🏼😃

We had time to stop at a local fish restaurant after too. Either way, I hope you have a wonderful time!

Did you rent the car ahead of time?

• 4 weeks later...

Renting a car and doing the fall sounds exactly like what my family would want...we have 5 kids ( 21-15) so would need a van and wouldn't want to rent 2 taxis for day. I have a few questions ( any help appreciated) ..I would like to van before - what area do I search on Alamo? WIll it say Amber Cove or DR? Also just to clarify, when we go to waterfalls - will we be assigned a guide? Would we maybe get a few guides with our party size?

Thanks!

Renting a car and doing the fall sounds exactly like what my family would want...we have 5 kids ( 21-15) so would need a van and wouldn't want to rent 2 taxis for day. I have a few questions ( any help appreciated) ..I would like to van before - what area do I search on Alamo? WIll it say Amber Cove or DR? Also just to clarify, when we go to waterfalls - will we be assigned a guide? Would we maybe get a few guides with our party size?

Thanks!

Try booking here:

http://alamo.com.do/en/

Yes, you will be assigned a guide, maybe 2. They work hard to keep you safe, we tipped both of them in our small party of 7. Do the 27! It is an amazing day!

Thank you. Link takes me to Alamo site in Spanish..and unfortunately I do not speak it :( and with the little I know - I see no location coming up. I searched a few areas I thought might work - but none come up.

When I turn to English - no location comes up.

Any thoughts what area is called you rented from? Also was rental location near dock of Amber Cove?

Sorry so many questions..

Thank you. Link takes me to Alamo site in Spanish..and unfortunately I do not speak it :( and with the little I know - I see no location coming up. I searched a few areas I thought might work - but none come up.

When I turn to English - no location comes up.

Any thoughts what area is called you rented from? Also was rental location near dock of Amber Cove?

Sorry so many questions..

There is the "English" flag in the upper left hand side of the page AND on the right side middle of the page in the blue line that says car rental in spanish. That will let you search in English. See if that works for you!;)

Thanks!

We rented a small car for the day from Alamo and it was $122.00 for just the day. However, we were on our own. In one way that was a good thing, but it was our first time driving where no one really follows road lines or rules. It was an experience, but so worth it to do the falls. We had two guides with us, and paid a photographer to follow us the whole trip with a go pro, and we're so glad we did. We kind of lucked out and had one on one time with our guides except for a few jumps we did together. They were amazing. We ate Cacao fresh from a tree, saw all kinds of fruit trees, plants, flowers, a snake and a really creepy spider. The food was delicious, even for a vegetarian like myself. We're glad we spent the extra money $6.00 a person? to feed us afterwards because it was a great workout. If you get a photographer ask for Adonis, he was great and if you start talking to him about plants, he'll come out of his shell.

• 2 weeks later...
We sure did, best day of our vacation! We ended up renting a car, it was less expensive and super easy! I am happy to answer any questions you may have. ;)

Maybe I missed it, but what is the entrance fee was to do all 27 waterfalls?

• 4 years later...

Has anyone done this tour lately? Two tour companies have said there is not enough water to do the 27 falls at this time due to no rain. Is this true or are they just trying to shorten the tours?

5 hours ago, CorrieCJ said:

Curious about the same thing as #46. Will be there in August.

Iguana Mama tours is doing the full 27 waterfalls tours right now, She said it all depends on how much rain fall. Her tour company is the only one that does all the waterfalls. The ship tours typically do the last 7 waterfalls/swimming areas.

• 4 weeks later...

I heard second-hand that doing the waterfalls independently is better than going through the ship.  Maybe the water is getting shallower, and the ships don't want to risk you diving or jumping in from high up. 

On 6/11/2022 at 7:30 AM, tetleytea said:

I heard second-hand that doing the waterfalls independently is better than going through the ship.  Maybe the water is getting shallower, and the ships don't want to risk you diving or jumping in from high up. 

I agree with you. The issue for me is I am traveling solo, so a taxi or rental car would be expensive for one person.