Nov Transatlantic Prices rise

Host Dan

I was called by my TA that our Nov transatlantic crossing fare went up! Seabourn demanded immediate payment of the fare increase. First time this has ever happened! The TA said that there is a LONG waiting list to get on this cruise..

Anyone else?

CruiserDan

http://www.saintpeterealtors.com

Dan:

Is there a reason given for the fare increase? Does this happen often?

I don't think I've ever heard of a cruise line increasing their prices for passengers already booked. :eek:

I don't think I've ever heard of a cruise line increasing their prices for passengers already booked. :eek:

I don't think they can. Money has changed hands and you have a contract. If you were putting your shopping in your car in the supermarket car park and the manager came out and told you that since you'd paid he had put the prices up and asked you to pay the extra you would tell him where to go. Unless there is something buried in the small print then they have to stick with your original agreement.

R&R

Dan,

If you booked under the previous fare and put a deposit down, unless Seabourn expressly reserved the right to increase fares, or the fare was quoted specifically as not guaranteed unless paid in full (which has never been their policy--they have always guaranteed the rate once you make your first deposit), they are legally prohibited from increasing the price.

This should have a chilling effect on customer good will! It is truly one of the more idiotic things I have ever seen Seabourn do under Carnival management, which, btw, I believe is the cause. Have your travel agent refuse to pay, and if there is a problem, escalate to Richard Meadows.

Regards,

Denyse (bldsld)

I think that there is something awry here. I just telephoned Seabourn and they NEVER increase fares of DEPOSITED voyages. Is it possible that your TA called, got you a fare and did not deposit before the increase? I would be very concerned about being told the fare went up, unless there was a misquote. Miss Marple needs to check this one out.

It may say that, but in my 10 years of experience I have not had a ultra-deluxe line raise prices after a deposit has been made. It is still worth checking out. If your TA won't call, I suggest you call Seabourn yourself and let us know what they say. Good luck.

Very strange...

Has anyone else taking this voyage have this fare increase?? I booked with deposit last November..

hmmm..

CruiserDan

PS, The TA basically said that if my Amex wasn't charged immediately the increase, we could lose our booking, as the cruise had such a long waiting list..

Dan,

After you speak with Seabourn, could you please advise us of the outcome? Your situation is quite unusual, and your TA's request seems bizarre, especially in light of Host Richard's comments.

Thanks,

Denyse

Dan,

We only just booked a couple of weeks ago and at a great price! We have not been approached yet about a price increase and hope we will not be! This cruise took some getting I do not want to lose it now!!!! This seems totally out of character for Seabourn!I would follow the above advice and talk directly to Seabourn yourself.

Daneite

I called Seabourn directly. Did you know that they will not give any info regarding your booking to the passenger directly? They will only talk to the TA. (or you can switch the booking to Seabourn itself) The gentleman on the phone DID however answer a couple questions.. He indicated that he never heard of Seabourn increasing the fare after the deposit has been paid. AND heres the fun part... The initial deposit must be 25% of the fare..so..

I did the math.

I looked at the fare AFTER the onboard 5% discount and BEFORE the TA's incentive and multiplied that by 25%. Voila, we were SHORT the amount of the fare "increase". We only had the $1000 towards the booking (onboard open booking)

This was "booked" last December, and all this time, technically, we could have lost our cabin to a higher paying passenger. I do believe that the fare hasn't been increased, just the deposit righted. Obviously the POOR TA didnt get it, hence the rush to get the additional $$, even though full payment is next month. I HOPE htat the TA didn't lie to cover his tracks, and blamed Seabourn for some bogus increase. If thats the case, I will have to speak with a higher up at the VERY WELL KNOWN Travel Agency..

Ill let you all know the results of THAT coversation!

CruiserDan

That certainly makes sense. When you make a booking onboard it is only an option which you or your TA is supposed to confirm within a period after your return home. At that time you're supposed to make up the balance of the deposit.

Seabourn are a bit lax in requiring people to confirm their options and it looks like they have just woken up to the fact that your TA hasn't confirmed your booking and, clearly, want to be sure you are intending to take it up as otherwise they want to release it to another passenger.

Your TA certainly should have known better that this isn't a price increase - just a requirement that you pay the balance of the deposit. Looks like an apology from your TA is due :o or otherwise maybe a change of TA.

This got me curious, so I spoke with Seabourn about the policy. What is happening is that as their ships are sailing fuller, they need to get pro-active about deposits to ensure that customers really intend to sail.

Onboard bookings particularly can tend to lapse--real life is hard after a cruise and things slip. They go to the travel agent of record and notify them that their client has made a booking on board and that there is a deposit due. They are clear that if the deposit is not paid in full, the booking is subject to cancellation. They invite the agent to call if they have questions.

From Seabourn's viewpoint, this is a service to the customer to ensure that they get the booking they want.

Glad to hear your booking is secure and jealous of those lazy days at sea!

bgood

Spoke with the TA this morning, and he agreed that the full deposit wasnt made, and all there was to it. (good)

I received my payment receipt today, and I went from having a cabin secured to a guarantee basis. The TA back in Dec inadvertantly booked the cabin next to the one we were supposed to get, and had no tub and only a queen bed. Even though my receipt from the VERY WELL KNOWN agency had the correct cabin, my TA imputted the wrong info to Seabourn. I called the agency today, and because my TA was gone for the day, another filled me in. He had a note that WE SPOKE about this situation today, and that I was hoping to get a cabin with a tub and twin beds!! To my surprise!! I never had that conversation. Can anyone spell "CYA" from the TA perspective!

It'll be an interesting conversation tomorrow when I speak with him directly!!

CruiserDan

Archived