how to limit funds on kids accounts

borisivan

I think someone mentioned you can put limits on a child's account on Carnival (I used to do that when my girls were young and it was never and issue). But, I've read you can't do that on NCL. I think the best suggestion is to use cash for the children's accounts. I did read once (and only once) that someone went over their cash amount and Guest Services didn't notify them until they were 100s over the amount they'd put on the account. To be fair, the entire review was a giant rant against NCL so I didn't lend it much credibility.

If I were you, I'd determine their spending money, put that cash amount on their cards and show them how to check their balances. I have one child who's always been responsible beyond what you'd expect and another who if I told her she could spent $50 would spend $75. For those wanting to judge, she was taught how to spend and budget money, and there were consequences for going over. Different kids are different. As an adult with a family she's a much better budgeter than she was as a child! LOL.

One note, my children were always told before vacation how much spending money they would have and they got to decide how much would go onto their on-board account and how much they wanted to have available for spending in ports of call.

I love the comment about a teen boy wanting to impress a girl. Sounds like you know your kid and you're right in seeing how you can limit his charging ability. Hopefully, the cash account will work well for you! :D

Last time we were on in June -- after reading something here on CC -- I tried to put a $$ amount or limit on my kid's card and was told I couldn't do it. Maybe I could have if I was using cash, but could not with the credit card I was using for the ship. So not sure how it actually works, but wanted you to know my experience.

Same here. At guest services I wanted a limit to be put on her card, no can do. Now I'm not sure if it can be done at check in at the terminal but we were told no. So I just gave her a limit and she stuck with it.