Extended Helicopter Glacier Trek Juneau excursion

JP-Cruise

Hello, I am wondering if anyone has done the extended helicopter glacier trek in Juneau. I am stronger considering this excursion as it sounds incredible. They equip you with an ice axe and you get to ice climb a glacier Wall = opportunity of a lifetime. Does anyone know if they supply a helmet with a GoPro Mount?

I did this last year and loved it - you can see details and some photos in my trip report. One of the folks in my group had a GoPro, but I can't remember where/how it was mounted. Northstar Trekking runs this tour, so I'd suggest contacting them directly to ask about the helmet situation.

That’s awesome to hear thanks. How high did you climb? And was it hard?

You're very welcome! :) I'm guessing we were 40 feet off the ground at most. Difficulty-wise, as someone who strenuously works out on the regular (heavy weight lifting and some interval cardio), I thought the whole experience was pretty manageable. Trekking involves lots of deliberate stepping, putting weight on heels, pulling cleats back out of the ice, which does add up over time. Ice climbing is mostly about technique, though there is that effort (which, again, does add up) of repeatedly striking your cleats and hammers into the wall and pulling them back out again. Spousal Unit doesn't share my gym habits, though he's in good enough shape for impromptu fast multiple mile bike rides, and he was fine with all of this.

You're very welcome! :) I'm guessing we were 40 feet off the ground at most. Difficulty-wise, as someone who strenuously works out on the regular (heavy weight lifting and some interval cardio), I thought the whole experience was pretty manageable. Trekking involves lots of deliberate stepping, putting weight on heels, pulling cleats back out of the ice, which does add up over time. Ice climbing is mostly about technique, though there is that effort (which, again, does add up) of repeatedly striking your cleats and hammers into the wall and pulling them back out again. Spousal Unit doesn't share my gym habits, though he's in good enough shape for impromptu fast multiple mile bike rides, and he was fine with all of this.

Awesome to hear! I’m definitely going to do this :). Ya I was in Alaska last July and hiked on 3 glaciers, one of them was on Mendenhall a in Juneau, walked through the glacier caves which was absolutely phenomenal, going uphill and downhill, so I am well aware of what is involved with glacier hiking. In all honestly I think I chose to hike on 3 glaciers just because I found walking with crampons to be sooooo coool!!! I’m going to buy myself a pair for the winter when I walk on my icy lake at my cottage :)