Looking for a Church in Boston

thmpsn

We are flying into Boston for a two night precruise package before sailing on the the Jewel of the Sea. We are staying at the Boston Sheraton Towers over a weekend in October. Can anyone tell us of a Catholic Church near this hotel so we can attend Mass while there? It needs to be within walking distance of the hotel.

Thank you,

Karon

Boston in general is a pretty small city and easy walking to most locations. Not sure about what parishes are in the area of the hotel but perhaps the Archdiocese website can help you.

http://www.rcab.org/ They have a contact button (top right side). I'm sure they'll be able to help you.

I am totally blanking on a name but there are several churches in walking distance. One Catholic Church is a large historical church. I want to say the church of the nativity but I am totally blanking. You wont have trouble finding a Catholic Church in Boston....there are mostly Italian and Irish Catholics there as it was a hub of immigration for them (still is!). The concierge can direct you if all else fails.

Karon,

Re: a Catholic church within Walking distance of The Sheraton

I worked in Boston, right next to the Sheraton, a number of years ago.

Used to walk downtown, about 15 minutes, through the Public Garden to the shopping district (Macy's, Filenes on Washington St.)

Travel in daytime only..........

There is a small church on Arch Street, just beyond Macys and Filenes Dept. stores..........It is called "Arch Street Shrine" - It has been there years and years. They have many Masses Sunday and Weekdays. I still go into Boston occasionally and go here for Mass.

There was another Church "Our Lady of Victories" which was a little closer but I do not know if it is still open - It was located down Columbus Ave toward direction of Berkeley ST. ( It was on a side street off Berkeley)

The Sheraton hotel may also be able to tell you if the chapel in the Prudential Bldg is still active.

Hope you enjoy Boston.....and your cruise

MAC

• 4 weeks later...

St. Cecilia's catholic church is right around the corner from the Sheraton Hotel. I believe it's Belvedere Street. They have 10am Sunday mass, 12pm Sunday mass and one earlier I believe 7 or 8 am. The church was built by Irish maids and butlers who worked for families in the Back Bay in the 1800's and needed a place to attend Sunday mass as there were no catholic churches in that area at the time. It's a very beautiful church with a recently restored pipe organ and an excellent choir.

Archived