Fjord Maps

CruiseGal84

Ahoy there!

I am already counting down the days until my Norse Legends Cruise aboard ms Nieuw Statendam in May 2019 :D When I cruise to Alaska, I always have a map of the Inside Passage, which I bought onboard. I definitely want to have a map for this new adventure to Norway! Does anyone know if they have maps of the fjords for purchase in the gift shop? If not, any recommendations on a good map to bring along?

Thank you 😊

Ahoy there!

I am already counting down the days until my Norse Legends Cruise aboard ms Nieuw Statendam in May 2019 :D When I cruise to Alaska, I always have a map of the Inside Passage, which I bought onboard. I definitely want to have a map for this new adventure to Norway! Does anyone know if they have maps of the fjords for purchase in the gift shop? If not, any recommendations on a good map to bring along?

Thank you

I have never seen good maps in the ship stores and most that are available in the ports are more tourist oriented. DH always gets a very detailed map of the general area ahead of time by ordering them online and posts it on the wall of our cabin with sticky tabs. He uses maps.com https://www.maps.com

I have never seen good maps in the ship stores and most that are available in the ports are more tourist oriented. DH always gets a very detailed map of the general area ahead of time by ordering them online and posts it on the wall of our cabin with sticky tabs. He uses maps.com https://www.maps.com

We do the same. We order them on line or find some at AAA. National Geographic also has maps. All the maps cost money but we enjoy tracing our itineraries. Our cabin attendants always comment about the maps. WE had excellent maps on our cruise to North Cape in Norway. Often DH marks with highlighter some of the ports. We use magnets if the walls work or resort to some tape.

We do the same. We order them on line or find some at AAA. National Geographic also has maps. All the maps cost money but we enjoy tracing our itineraries. Our cabin attendants always comment about the maps. WE had excellent maps on our cruise to North Cape in Norway. Often DH marks with highlighter some of the ports. We use magnets if the walls work or resort to some tape.

We often put our map on the very large mirror over the desk when we use "removable" sticky tabs. Ensures we don't damage the wall coverings, and we never us that mirror anyway. This location also provides good overhead lighting on the map.

On-going problem about the walls and magnets which can be the perfect solution if they work - see other threads and thanks for "formeco" for the recommendation to get "rare earth magnets" which do seem to have far more sticking power. If you can find a way to dangle the map from the ceiling, you have a winning location for use of these hooked magnets -that is where they work the very best best.

We often put our map on the very large mirror over the desk when we use "removable" sticky tabs. Ensures we don't damage the wall coverings, and we never us that mirror anyway. This location also provides good overhead lighting on the map.

On-going problem about the walls and magnets which can be the perfect solution if they work - see other threads and thanks for "formeco" for the recommendation to get "rare earth magnets" which do seem to have far more sticking power. If you can find a way to dangle the map from the ceiling, you have a winning location for use of these hooked magnets -that is where they work the very best best.

We haven't hung maps from the ceiling, but one idea would be to put a 1" fold along the top of the map to form a 90º bend. Place the map flat against the wall, then use two or three magnets to pin the fold to the ceiling.

We haven't hung maps from the ceiling, but one idea would be to put a 1" fold along the top of the map to form a 90º bend. Place the map flat against the wall, then use two or three magnets to pin the fold to the ceiling.

Good suggestion. I was thinking about hanging it off the magnetic ceiling hooks using dental floss, so it could be adjusted for personal viewing heights and some how not flap in the breeze every time the cabin door gets opened. Work in progress here.