Gdansk Questions??? Malbork with City Tour or Gdansk on your own??

We are on the Emerald Princess, Sept. 13, and debating on whether to take the Gdansk on your Own Excurison for transportation to town or Malbork Castle with City Tour. Any advice??

Also, is it possible to walk to Vasa Museum from point where Emerald Princess docks or is it advisable to take water taxi or shuttles?

Thanks . . . the message boards have been incredibly helpful

We were in Gdansk in June, 2008 and we took the castle/city tour. The castle is from the Middle Ages, it was bombed in WWII and it is under restoration. While we enjoyed the castle, it was extremely crowded that day and noise levels were high. It was very difficult to hear the guide and she did not use headsets/microphone. Also, many passageways are one way in and out, so it was congested at certain intersections trying to move the groups along. Following the tour, we had an excellent lunch at a restaurant on the grounds of the castle, including piva (beer).

The ride to Malbork was on the new highway and on the return, it was on a country road, quite scenic and we passed through many villages.

When we arrived in Gdansk, we had a walking tour to the fountain, city hall, the cathedral, and Mariaska Street and a demonstration of amber fake/real, polishing etc. (amber central). While we did no go to the grain tower, it is readily viewed from the bridge. There was about 45 minutes allowed for amber shopping. I must say that the prettiest amber pieces were here, but 45 minutes is not enough for me to make decisions. I told my DH that next time, we would do it yourself and shop longer. He sighed and said it would be a lot cheaper if I just bought it then! :D

After Gdansk, we drove through Gdynia and saw the monument to Solidarity. From there we were in a giant summer Friday traffic jam in Sopot. We and many other tours were late to the ship, but it wasn't a problem.

I did try to organize a private tour to Malbork, but no tour agencies wanted to take us there...it could have something to do with the traffic and distance. I even had cc members lined up to join us on the private tour.

So, I was delighted to see the castle, and a bit of the countryside, have a delicious authentic meal, and walk along the streets of Gdansk. I wish it was less crowded in Malbork that day, and that we could hear the guide better.

Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy your time in Gdansk.

There are lots of castles in Europe. But have you ever visited a Concentration Camp? Stutthof concentration camp is not for everyone. But I think it is important that we all become witnesses to history. I would highly recommend it. Our guide warned us that we might have tears in our eyes, and I am unashamed to say that I did.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.bully4.us/baltic.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

• 1 month later...
We were in Gdansk in June, 2008 and we took the castle/city tour. The castle is from the Middle Ages, it was bombed in WWII and it is under restoration. While we enjoyed the castle, it was extremely crowded that day and noise levels were high. It was very difficult to hear the guide and she did not use headsets/microphone. Also, many passageways are one way in and out, so it was congested at certain intersections trying to move the groups along. Following the tour, we had an excellent lunch at a restaurant on the grounds of the castle, including piva (beer).

The ride to Malbork was on the new highway and on the return, it was on a country road, quite scenic and we passed through many villages.

When we arrived in Gdansk, we had a walking tour to the fountain, city hall, the cathedral, and Mariaska Street and a demonstration of amber fake/real, polishing etc. (amber central). While we did no go to the grain tower, it is readily viewed from the bridge. There was about 45 minutes allowed for amber shopping. I must say that the prettiest amber pieces were here, but 45 minutes is not enough for me to make decisions. I told my DH that next time, we would do it yourself and shop longer. He sighed and said it would be a lot cheaper if I just bought it then! :D

After Gdansk, we drove through Gdynia and saw the monument to Solidarity. From there we were in a giant summer Friday traffic jam in Sopot. We and many other tours were late to the ship, but it wasn't a problem.

I did try to organize a private tour to Malbork, but no tour agencies wanted to take us there...it could have something to do with the traffic and distance. I even had cc members lined up to join us on the private tour.

So, I was delighted to see the castle, and a bit of the countryside, have a delicious authentic meal, and walk along the streets of Gdansk. I wish it was less crowded in Malbork that day, and that we could hear the guide better.

Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy your time in Gdansk.

Your description of tour was great. Could you tell me what ship you were on and how long the tour was for? Thanks

We were on the Crown Princess and in Gdansk on June 6, 2008. The ship was in port from 9 am to 6 pm. The ship's tour was from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm, but our bus and quite a few others were caught in traffic and didn't return to the port 'til nearly 6 pm.

There were vendors selling amber at the pier, but by the time we returned, they were packing up, and the ship was ready to pull up the gangplank!

We really enjoyed our port day in Gdansk.

I'm just back from the Polish coast. I went there on a freighter so I can't answer for cruise tours, and it was out of season, so there were no queues.

What I can say was that Malbork was the highspot of the visit. I've never seen such a vast castle and the history of the place, as detailed by my guide, was fascinating. Forget Indiana Jones: the Teutonic Knights were really something.

Gdansk was pretty in parts, but it loses something when you realize that unlike, say, Tallinn, this is not the original town, which was pretty well flattened in WW2, but a very skilled reconstruction. Bits of Malbork have been renovated, too, but the sense of history is much greater.

The setting on the river was nice, although the countryside here is completely flat and generally dull. I went by road, but there's a station at Malbork and I was told I could have come by train from Gdansk in under an hour.

- Lucy

• 3 weeks later...

I apologize if this is double posted.

You mentioned that the castle at Malbork has passages that are dark and congested. I am very claustrophobisc and wonder if you have any idea if there is a way to visit the castle and bypass those congested areas. I appreciate your perception.

Malbork is big: the courtyards, the banquet halls, the meeting rooms, even the flat open country around it. There are a few narrow passages for sure, but you'll have no trouble keeping to wide, bright areas.

- Lucy

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...